U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

64 posts, read 116,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paponmoltche View Post
I just don't really understand why we don't have a NBA basketball team in cincinnati. We are a big enough city and have the u.s. bank arena to play in. But I have been hearing talk about one I think it would be great.

as much as i would love an NBA team in cincy it aint happening. US bank arena is small. NBA arenas hold 18000+. also cincy at max can only support two professional franchises. cincy doesnt have the financial infrastructure to support more than what we have. also cincy is just very bandwagony. there is no real passion for anything here. this isnt tennessee or michigan who can sellout a 100,000 seat stadium for losing football teams or NYC that can sellout the garden for the knicks. not to mention an NBA team is competing w/ two college programs that are accomplished products that pple have attended for many years.

also i think i heard mark cuban say the NBA is thinking about contracting teams so that makes this even less viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
The era the Royals played here was totally different, especially the pay structure. In addition, a pro franchise had automatic draft rights to college players in their designated drawing terrritory. How do you think we ever had Oscar, Lucas, and Wayne Embry on the same team other than due to this provision.

One person I can never forget from the Royals was Maurice Stokes, maybe one of the greatest forwards in the history of the game whose career was cut short. Maurice was a member of the Rochester Royals before they moved to Cincy in 1957. When he fell ill, the dedication of his friend and teammate Jack Twyman in helping sponsor fundraisers to assist in his medical care was an inspiration to all.

Jack Twyman was another to admire. As an outstanding player at UC and then for the Royals, Jack was a star in his own right. Regarded as a shooter, a description of Jack was he never saw a shot he didn't like. His association with Stokes is one of the all-time sports feel-good interest stories. His dedication to Maurice may outweight his sports achievements, and that is not at all half-bad.

But when it comes to another NBA franchise in Cincinnati, my reaction is:
. Bah-Humburg why bother?
. The two established college teams (UC and St-X) have given us more to cheer about since the Royals departed. So why would we want to return to the pro-level tell us why we are great scenario?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM

619 posts, read 1,457,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
No chance Cincy gets an NBA team. Not even worth discussing.

And I agree with others, the NBA product sucks. I've been to a few NBA games and it was probably the most boring sports atmosphere I've ever experienced. It would have a 0% chance of making it in Cincy.
If Cinci were to ever get a nba team it wouldn't be in the Bank Arena. They would have to build a new stadium for it. May i ask what nba games you have been too? I've been to plenty of recent Chi Bulls game and they have been a terrible team but the games are still so much fun, more than baseball and about the same as football.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:59 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
If Cinci were to ever get a nba team it wouldn't be in the Bank Arena. They would have to build a new stadium for it. May i ask what nba games you have been too? I've been to plenty of recent Chi Bulls game and they have been a terrible team but the games are still so much fun, more than baseball and about the same as football.
Actually, I have been to a number of Chicago Bulls games and they are real snoozers ... It is like five one-on-one games on the same court, Little if any teamwork.

I would rather have the college game, especially the smaller colleges.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,165 times
It seems a lot of teams move around - Seattle to Oklahoma City and Charlotte to New Orleans. Heck, the Utah Jazz was once in New Orleans and The Cincinnati Royals went to Kansas City and eventually ended up as the Sacramento Kings.

I for one could never stand the NBA - I think the action is in college ball and with UC and Xavier and some of the others around like Dayton and Miami, I just never thought there was room for a pro team.

Does anyone remember the Cincinnati Stuff? I think they were in the International Basketball League and played at USBA late 90's, early 00's.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:37 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Yea, the Cincinnati Stuff played for two years 1999/2000 and 2000/2001 until the whole International League folded. Frankly, until I looked them up I never realized they had even existed. What I don't understand is why people invest their money in operations like this which just end up losers. Must be tax implications somewhere, surely the people can't be that inherently stupid.

UC, Xavier, Miami, Dayton all put a good college basketball product on the court. I'll bet NKYU and Wright State are more fun to watch than the NBA. And has been commented, the NBA requires a larger stadium than what is currently available in Cincy. Public funding for such a project - forget it.

Basketball was my passion in my youth. Loved the game in HS, but at 6'-4" and 250lbs the game did not love me. Couldn't jump (barely could dunk the ball), and slow as H--l running. The HS football coach kept envisioning me as an offensive guard, but I didn't. Those mid-summer conditioning programs in Cincy 90 degree heat and humidity - no thanks. I hated heat and still do today. Football in the Midwest November and December - fine. But July and August, forget it.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
UC, Xavier, Miami, Dayton all put a good college basketball product on the court. I'll bet NKYU and Wright State are more fun to watch than the NBA. And has been commented, the NBA requires a larger stadium than what is currently available in Cincy. Public funding for such a project - forget it.
And NKU men and women team play doubleheaders for a single admission which is a great deal.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
i think being indoors with more than 10,000 people is kind of scary.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:17 PM

9,121 posts, read 11,666,599 times
Default Cincinnatti o-h- ten..............

Cincinnatti OH.....TEN will never get a BASKETBALL TEAM (NBA)
It's (2)TWO small of a market to SUPPORT (3) First TIER MAJOR
LEAGUE SPORT TEAMS....sorry it just won't WORK OUT............

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
^Misspelling Cincinnati is bad and caps is even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati