U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
No, no .... it's a much different game, much different. I would be willing to say that MOST die hard college fans can not stand the NBA. Hard working middle class people just don't like to spend $75 a ticket to watch a sport in which the vast majority of players don't even make an effort for the first 3 1/2 quarters of a game.

Hey I used to be one of those teenagers that LOVED the NBA. Magic, Larry and of course MJ. I never understood why all the adults around me would talk about how they couldn't stand to watch NBA basketball. Now, I'm older, one of those grumpy old men as I used to see them, a basketball coach and a realist...the NBA is terrible. I understand now why the age of the average fan is about 14.
hey, i feel like you about the nba, but i bet the house if a team was in town, some attitudes would change, or at least spawn interest in watching it on tv. remember, a lot of people can't afford to go to the jungle, either, and that sells out religiously. you give this team an 8 seed in the eastern conference, and watch people go nuts. i'm a realist too, and a real rust belt city needs a little extra to get its name out there, and the reds, bengals and a lousy bus system ain't cuttin' it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:00 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,346,762 times
I know you guys won't like this idea, but why shouldn't Dayton get it? They have been screwed out of so much over the past 50 years it's not even funny, and Dayton could draw from Columbus as well as Cincinnati, and be an alternative to Indy for those Eastern Indiana B-Ball nuts.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I know you guys won't like this idea, but why shouldn't Dayton get it? They have been screwed out of so much over the past 50 years it's not even funny, and Dayton could draw from Columbus as well as Cincinnati, and be an alternative to Indy for those Eastern Indiana B-Ball nuts.
I think that's a good idea, but we should also annex Dayton and call it Cincinnati, therefore it'd actually stay in Cincy.

I kid, I kid!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
The vast majority of NBA games are on cold blustery school/work nights. People won't travel far for most of these games. An NBA franchise really needs a very populated area within a 1/2 hour drive in order to survive. NFL on weekends and MLB in the middle of summer are completely different opportunities.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,060 times
I will add though, Dayton is one helluva area for basketball. Great support for the Flyers. That much support for a similar type of program is hard to come by. Also the Dragons! It's just not a major league sports city.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,346,762 times
Cool, no one's railed on Dayton yet. Yeah! Still, good point that most wouldn''t be willing to travel that far in winter. I never thought of that. Also, people running out to their cars as quickly as possible in sub-zero weather after the game wouldn't exactly help a city's economic health all that much, either.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
hey, i feel like you about the nba, but i bet the house if a team was in town, some attitudes would change, or at least spawn interest in watching it on tv. remember, a lot of people can't afford to go to the jungle, either, and that sells out religiously. you give this team an 8 seed in the eastern conference, and watch people go nuts. i'm a realist too, and a real rust belt city needs a little extra to get its name out there, and the reds, bengals and a lousy bus system ain't cuttin' it.
If the team was here in town attitudes would change about the NBA. Why should anyone feel any loyalty to a team that is in Indianapolis or Memphis? I think an NBA team could do well here.

That said, if it were to come up for a vote on a stadium i would vote against it. If i'd lived here when the bengals/reds stadiums were going up for a vote, i'd have voted against them too.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 PM

297 posts, read 917,744 times
Being an Indiana bb nut before Indy had pro teams, I was a Royals fan as a kid. Back then, NBA was in smaller cities, salaries were lean, and skill meant more than just having a wide butt and long arms. it was a different world. Now pro bb has gotten too big and flashy and superficial and commercial for it's own good. Out of touch with original game, and the average fan. While Living in LA, I watched the Lakers on TV, but the average taxpayer could hardly afford decent seats. They are full of celebs who are there to get a shout out for their new movie or CD coming out. It takes a smart businessman to make money with today's giant salaries. Taxpayers mostly get exploited but can't really participate. Wow. What a deal. where do we sign up??

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Unless someone comes up with 300 million for an arena. There will never be a team here.

I think if the county commissioners of Butler and Warren County could come together in some some sort of financing agreement. An arena could be build right on the border of both counties. Build a new exit at about a mile north of 63. If planned right, It would be booming with activity and development.
This is the exact approach, the arena would have to be north of the city-Liberty Township-Middletown area. By placing the arena there, you could draw fans from Dayton-who has no major sports teams. That would increase your ability to avg 17k per game, which would be low by NBA standards.
NOTE: The Pistons play at the Palace(of Auburn Hills) which is actually located 20 mins out of the downtown area.
and someday, when I have saved 300 Mil, I will fund the new arena to be built, purchase the teams rights and start my own NBA franchise in my home city of Cincinnati.

Mark it down

Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,099 times
You will not pull from Columbus, they have a PRO team playing at the same time of year-NHL Bluejackets, and they have a hard enough time selling out Nationwide arena-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati