U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,101 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

They sell out the jungle-8 times a year and plays 1 time a week-thus limiting a conflict with college hoops at UC and XU. NBA plays 41 games all days of week and would be drawing from lack luster crowd at UC or XU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,347,163 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAinCincinnati View Post
This is the exact approach, the arena would have to be north of the city-Liberty Township-Middletown area. By placing the arena there, you could draw fans from Dayton-who has no major sports teams. That would increase your ability to avg 17k per game, which would be low by NBA standards.
NOTE: The Pistons play at the Palace(of Auburn Hills) which is actually located 20 mins out of the downtown area.
and someday, when I have saved 300 Mil, I will fund the new arena to be built, purchase the teams rights and start my own NBA franchise in my home city of Cincinnati.

Mark it down
Ah, yes, and the sprawl continues...

Seriously, though, as I have mentioned earlier, Dayton may not make such a bad spot because it is within 2 hours of Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indianapolis, so probably about 8 million people would call the team their home team.

Dream spot for easy access- 75/70 intersection, Vandalia (But the sprawl would still continue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
1,410 posts, read 3,485,521 times
Reputation: 385
This is a college b ball town, not NBA. Plus US Bank arena wouldnt be acceptable to draw a NBA team here in the first place. When the Sonics moved, Cincy didnt draw any interest and didnt mention anything either. No chance of this happening any time soon.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM
 
710 posts, read 2,649,718 times
Reputation: 149
Northern Kentucky. KY has 0 pro teams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 3,939,357 times
Reputation: 265
nba in cincinnati, how can you declare cinci a college hoops town when there's no pro team to compare the atmosphere to? there's a multitude of reasons the royals left town, and low on the list are the fans.

if you're thinking of building an arena for an nba team anywhere but downtown, you're giving money away. auburn hills has long been exposed as a mistake, and further evidence of detroit's hemorrhaging capital. gund was a terrible idea, and almost got that franchise relocated. downtown needs a boost, and with an arena you can build a neighborhood around it. you want people spending money downtown where everything is expensive, not in the sticks where the tax situation gets complicated.

uc is losing. maybe in cities like cleveland is losing okay, but should it be? the national media portrays cincinnati as fairweather (tirico, kornheiser, wilbon), but i LOVE being from a town that doesn't back down to a group of flaunting incompetents (reds, bengals, uc b-ball). now if only we could stop electing incompetents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
QCP
 
185 posts, read 455,116 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
nba in cincinnati, how can you declare cinci a college hoops town when there's no pro team to compare the atmosphere to? there's a multitude of reasons the royals left town, and low on the list are the fans.

if you're thinking of building an arena for an nba team anywhere but downtown, you're giving money away. auburn hills has long been exposed as a mistake, and further evidence of detroit's hemorrhaging capital. gund was a terrible idea, and almost got that franchise relocated. downtown needs a boost, and with an arena you can build a neighborhood around it. you want people spending money downtown where everything is expensive, not in the sticks where the tax situation gets complicated.

uc is losing. maybe in cities like cleveland is losing okay, but should it be? the national media portrays cincinnati as fairweather (tirico, kornheiser, wilbon), but i LOVE being from a town that doesn't back down to a group of flaunting incompetents (reds, bengals, uc b-ball). now if only we could stop electing incompetents...
Losing in Cleveland is only acceptable for one reason...Lebron. When he leaves for NY, the fans will leave with him.

Out of the 30 NBA franchises, probably 5 or 6 are actually healthy. They are all either a large market or have a TRUE star (i.e. Lebron).

A mid-sized, blue collar city with a reputation of low fan support has "ZERO" appeal to the NBA and its owners. Never going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
 
710 posts, read 2,649,718 times
Reputation: 149
Unless they are the only game in town. See Oklahoma City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM
 
698 posts, read 1,427,770 times
Reputation: 493
Xavier is one of the Top 5 mid-major programs in the country. UC will have over 20 wins this year and will gain back some of the fan base they've lost since Huggins left. Basketball fanatics in Cincinnati will have plenty of good basketball to watch for years to come.

No one in Cincinnati cares about specific NBA teams. Indianapolis is 100 miles away and there are absolutely zero Pacers fans. There is only interest in the Cavaliers because every game is shown on FSN Ohio and people love to watch Lebron. The kids and teens today aren't intrigued by the Chicago Bulls and San Antonio Spurs but rather the Kobe's, Carmelo's and Chris Paul's. I don't think there would be much interest in a Cincinnati NBA team unless it had a superstar on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 3,939,357 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I don't think there would be much interest in a Cincinnati NBA team unless it had a superstar on it.
that's it right there. every team has a superstar. expansion/relocation (bad team) is going to have high picks. a man with a functioning brain can put together twelve guys that can make the playoffs in the east. look at the cavs, one of the worst teams ever assembled. i'm still scratching my head over a team with no inside presence, the run-with-popguns offense, the coaching, a weak bench coupled with a weak starting lineup. they've got guys who show out when they come in, but aren't good enough to start. then they've got guys who are so bad that they need to come out, but without them, you realize how bad this roster really is. how you acquire/have the rights to the correct pieces, and you let them go when you know your STAR is shopping around, i don't know. pause for identification...

my point is, that team went to the finals and has been a top team in the east for the last three years . make those kind of mistakes in the nfl and mlb, and you get, well, the bengals and the reds. i understand cincinnati getting a team in the next ten years is improbable at best. imo the best chance they have is if the reds go back-to-back or something CRAZY like that, and the bengals actually win a ******* playoff game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM
 
13,714 posts, read 22,843,488 times
Reputation: 18526
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAinCincinnati View Post
This is the exact approach, the arena would have to be north of the city-Liberty Township-Middletown area. By placing the arena there, you could draw fans from Dayton-who has no major sports teams. That would increase your ability to avg 17k per game, which would be low by NBA standards.
NOTE: The Pistons play at the Palace(of Auburn Hills) which is actually located 20 mins out of the downtown area.
and someday, when I have saved 300 Mil, I will fund the new arena to be built, purchase the teams rights and start my own NBA franchise in my home city of Cincinnati.

Mark it down
Seems to me that the NBA experimented with placing a team out in the suburbs ... in Richfield, OH, and that lasted 10-15 years?

Of all the sports discussions I have heard in Cincinnati over the past 40 years, I do not remember one about the NBA.

The market for college basketball is completely different that the NBA. Chicago fills up the United Center for the Bulls but the local universities find the city a tough draw - even when they are winning.

I have to admit that I made my first NBA game last month since 1968. What an absolutely mediocre product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top