U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,484,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCP View Post
Losing in Cleveland is only acceptable for one reason...Lebron. When he leaves for NY, the fans will leave with him.

Out of the 30 NBA franchises, probably 5 or 6 are actually healthy. They are all either a large market or have a TRUE star (i.e. Lebron).

A mid-sized, blue collar city with a reputation of low fan support has "ZERO" appeal to the NBA and its owners. Never going to happen.
Exactly, and what would we want with an NBA team anyways. The product is inferior and after the beginning amazment wore off the team would flounder.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Exactly, and what would we want with an NBA team anyways. The product is inferior and after the beginning amazment wore off the team would flounder.

G Man
you have to be mike brown-bad to flounder in the east. it's a perception thing, really. nationally, cincinnati has a small-town image. it's false and it has to go as quickly as possible. decent light rail and another pro team would move cincinnati right past st. louis, on par with cleveland, and more importantly, a potential draw from college types seeking an eclectic, affordable with big-city amenities. we would have what boston has, but for half as much. more people moving in, more action on the street.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

697 posts, read 1,426,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
that's it right there. every team has a superstar. expansion/relocation (bad team) is going to have high picks. a man with a functioning brain can put together twelve guys that can make the playoffs in the east.
Your logic seems right but I can't help but think of the Charlotte Bobcats, the most recent expansion team, who have over $31 million this year invested in Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, and Jason Richardson and were 32-50 last year - no where near the play-offs in the pathetic east. If this team was in Cincinnati there's no way they would receive support night in and night out.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Your logic seems right but I can't help but think of the Charlotte Bobcats, the most recent expansion team, who have over $31 million this year invested in Gerald Wallace, Emeka Okafor, and Jason Richardson and were 32-50 last year - no where near the play-offs in the pathetic east. If this team was in Cincinnati there's no way they would receive support night in and night out.
You are so right!!! I live in Charlotte (lived in Ashland KY for 3 years and loved to visit Cincy) and the Bobcats would not be supported in Cincy. The Panthers 7-2 season so far this year doesn't help the Bobcats one bit either. Charlotte only got a team because the NBA did not want to lose this market to MLB. Outside of Florida, Atlanta is the only MLB team in the south. NC is currently the largest state without MLB I've heard. If the NBA did not return to Charlotte when the Hornets left town, Charlotte would have been a MLB market within 5 years tops. This is kinda why Cincy is not able to attract a NBA team. Just like Charlotte, Cincy is "maxed out" when it comes to pro sports. Besides, the NBA is a dying brand anyway.

I am about to go to a Bobcats' Game tonight only because I enjoy riding the train to the arena!!! Here are two video links of the light rail station in front of Time Warner Cable Arena.

YouTube - urban charlotte

YouTube - urban charlotte

The light rail line and the arena cost about $800 million total. Without the light rail, the Bobcat's would have a much more pathetic attendance average than currently!!! It has been said in an earlier post that their are 6 million people within a 100 mile radius of dt Cincy. Well, I've heard that uptown Charlotte has close to 7 million people within a 100 mile radius and Charlotte's NBA attendance still sux!!!

I think Cincy should build the arena (concerts) and light rail!!! As for the NBA, leave it alone. The NBA is not what it used to be...

Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
you have to be mike brown-bad to flounder in the east. it's a perception thing, really. nationally, cincinnati has a small-town image. it's false and it has to go as quickly as possible. decent light rail and another pro team would move cincinnati right past st. louis, on par with cleveland, and more importantly, a potential draw from college types seeking an eclectic, affordable with big-city amenities. we would have what boston has, but for half as much. more people moving in, more action on the street.
So getting an NBA team is going to bring people into the city and increase population? Attendance at Reds game isnt that great, even when they are winning and this is much more of a baseball town then anything else. A NBA team would not be embrassed here after the initial phase unless they were always winning, which would be near impossible to guarantee. NBA team in Cincy is horrible idea. We would need new arena and NBA just doesnt appeal to a lot of people, especially people from around here which greatly prefer college ball and its more affordable as well.

G Man

Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Getting an NBA team would make us like Boston? NOOOOO. They are what, like the 5-10 biggest market in the country in Cincy is somewhere in the middle of 1-100 i imagine. Cincy is mid market by definition. They are max-ed out in pro teams, especially NBA which would be the least accepted here.

G Rizzle

Old 11-11-2008, 02:05 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,369 times
The market is top 25 by itself. 10 million in a 100 mile radius including the rural area's. No one has done any real studies at weather or not they like the NBA or College around here. I never got anything. It's easier to filll a 20k arena than a 45k Ball park.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
The market is top 25 by itself. 10 million in a 100 mile radius including the rural area's. No one has done any real studies at weather or not they like the NBA or College around here. I never got anything. It's easier to filll a 20k arena than a 45k Ball park.
I don't think the team would be supported, but I think it would be great recognition for Cincy!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:35 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times
cincyexpert, mike jordan is running the bobcats. he IS as bad as uncle mike, which makes him an outlier. damn, michael...

urbancharlotte, true, the nba kinda sucks right now, but the nfl wasn't that great not too long ago. the mlb was garbage, but it's getting better with a change in philosophy (and drug testing).

gman, when were the reds winning? lol

the boston comparison was made on some basic tenets-

-transportation
-architecture
-full arsenal of sports
-a nice collection of old cultural institutions. obviously boston wins, but cincinnati has a lot too.
-an academic cluster
-history
-cosmopolitan, eclectic feel
= a lot of the same things you can get in boston for half the price, and young people with education and money to spend might dig a city like that. cincinnati has more crime and blight, but with more people, at least the blight will decrease.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM

414 posts, read 1,127,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Nope. MLB is played in the summer, it's 5 times cheaper than the NBA and it appeals to middle aged white guys. All those together make baseball a much easier sell than the NBA. Apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati