U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 PM

414 posts, read 1,128,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincyexpert, mike jordan is running the bobcats. he IS as bad as uncle mike, which makes him an outlier. damn, michael...

urbancharlotte, true, the nba kinda sucks right now, but the nfl wasn't that great not too long ago. the mlb was garbage, but it's getting better with a change in philosophy (and drug testing).

gman, when were the reds winning? lol

the boston comparison was made on some basic tenets-

-transportation
-architecture
-full arsenal of sports
-a nice collection of old cultural institutions. obviously boston wins, but cincinnati has a lot too.
-an academic cluster
-history
-cosmopolitan, eclectic feel
= a lot of the same things you can get in boston for half the price, and young people with education and money to spend might dig a city like that. cincinnati has more crime and blight, but with more people, at least the blight will decrease.
Actually MJ was brought in to try to save a dying franchise. They were at rock-bottom before he came on board.

Regardless, look at all of the newest franchises; Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Vancouver (wait scratch that - Memphis), Toronto, New Orleans, Charlotte again...Could any of those be condisered a success? Not even close.

The only time the NBA ever appealed to anyone over the age of 20 was during the Bird/Magic Era. It's gone....not going to come back. The NFL and MLB had long successful stints before they struggled, much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
that's it right there. every team has a superstar. expansion/relocation (bad team) is going to have high picks. a man with a functioning brain can put together twelve guys that can make the playoffs in the east. look at the cavs, one of the worst teams ever assembled. i'm still scratching my head over a team with no inside presence, the run-with-popguns offense, the coaching, a weak bench coupled with a weak starting lineup. they've got guys who show out when they come in, but aren't good enough to start. then they've got guys who are so bad that they need to come out, but without them, you realize how bad this roster really is. how you acquire/have the rights to the correct pieces, and you let them go when you know your STAR is shopping around, i don't know. pause for identification...

my point is, that team went to the finals and has been a top team in the east for the last three years . make those kind of mistakes in the nfl and mlb, and you get, well, the bengals and the reds. i understand cincinnati getting a team in the next ten years is improbable at best. imo the best chance they have is if the reds go back-to-back or something CRAZY like that, and the bengals actually win a ******* playoff game.
Yes bad teams do get early draft picks, but still there are very few superstars. Very few. Realistically who actually puts butts in the seats? Lebron, Kobe, Chris Paul???, the Celtics as a whole, DWade, then who..... Sure there are some pretty good players that follow this group, but they don't sell tickets.

What I highlighted in blue are your words; the exact reason no one will would support an NBA franchise. It's garbage and no one is interested.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Let's not forget that the Sonics are now in Oklahoma City!!! The NBA is "killing" itself!!! OKC is a third of metro Seattle's size. This is why I say that the NBA is a dying brand. Cincy would be better off with a second NFL team than a NBA team!!! The NBA team would most likely stink and would not draw a crowd. Cincy is more than large enough for the NBA, but the NBA is no longer popular enough for Cincy. Player salaries must come down so that the NBA can rebuild its fan base with CHEAP TICKETS!!! In this current economy, people want CHEAP entertainment. The NBA is not cheap nor entertaining. There are several things Cincy could do to jump start the economy in the inner city. The NBA is not one of those things. The NBA is heading too far into the wrong direction. I could be wrong, but I don't see the NBA recovering soon enough to make it worth while for Cincy at the moment.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,939,357 times
Quote:
Nope. MLB is played in the summer, it's 5 times cheaper than the NBA and it appeals to middle aged white guys. All those together make baseball a much easier sell than the NBA. Apples and oranges.
Quote:
Actually MJ was brought in to try to save a dying franchise. They were at rock-bottom before he came on board.

Regardless, look at all of the newest franchises; Charlotte, Orlando, Miami, Vancouver (wait scratch that - Memphis), Toronto, New Orleans, Charlotte again...Could any of those be condisered a success? Not even close.
Quote:
Yes bad teams do get early draft picks, but still there are very few superstars. Very few. Realistically who actually puts butts in the seats? Lebron, Kobe, Chris Paul???,
the mlb is the most expensive sport to host in a city by far, followed by the nba, and then the nfl. that's why you only see baseball teams in the biggest/oldest regions. tampa was really the first time MLB broke out of that mold.

who do you think goes to nba games? white guys with money and company tickets.

MJ drafted kwame brown in washington, and adam morrison in charlotte. the man doesn't know what he's doing, and washington is much better without him.

all of those cities you named never should have been considered prime for a franchise, except toronto. cincinnati is a northern, cold-weather city in a basketball-crazy region.

chris paul plays for that strong playoff team you said wasn't a success in new orleans. it's a mediocre league right now, but look at the college game. the product won't always be watered down.

we've got the dense local media behind the idea of the reds doing more losing in 2009 in the hopes of a rash of rookies coming up in 2010 and using their inexperience to lift the team to the world series. sad part is, a lot of people that consider themselves knowledgeable fans support the idea. we can put up with a few years of losing here. how many losing seasons have the reds and bengals had since 1991? who threatened to leave town over a stadium with seven straight losing seasons on his coat rack?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM

174 posts, read 619,400 times
How is the league mediocre right now? There's young stars all around the league.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,939,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 89 View Post
How is the league mediocre right now? There's young stars all around the league.
the tv contracts don't generate the viewership they used to with tnt and tbs carrying games a combined 5 nights a week with at least 2 double-header, and nbc double and triple-headers on sunday. this was the lineup you watched jordan with, and the shaq and kobe lakers. people cared to tune in, even after jordan. the contracts changed, and it seems like the game changed with it. there are stars, but there aren't many rivalries among the powerful teams.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 PM

174 posts, read 619,400 times
Quote:
and level of play is at a long-time low (we can't even beat NBA playerless teams in the Olympics.
level of play is a lot better than it was when Jordan played. but yea i'm not getting into if Cincinnati should or shouldn't get a nba team, i just scanned the thread and saw some things that stood out.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:47 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,379,507 times
i would like to add my 2cents... dont kid urselfs, it would be a great thing for cinci to get an nba team, downtown ! the games are fun/exciting and make for another entertainment venue downtown. many stay downtown after work to eat and drink before games. snow/weather have zero effect on a team if they win. cold/snow are part of a persons life here and our city doesnt shut down like columbus/cinci if we get it...our light/heavy rail transit takes you there so need to walk outside anyway.. i disagree the nba is a dying breed, the young stars of the league are bringing in crowds to their cities. prices are expensive but you can still get $10 nose-bleed seats.... and by the way, if you root for the team and not the players you wont get an ulcer as fast cause the stars jump around in todays sports. support the team not the over-paid crybabies. HILLSIDE, this is the best starting lineup/ a deep bench i have ever seen. i predict very good things for the cavs this year. URBANCHARLOTTE, hockey is the dying sport not the nba.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
URBANCHARLOTTE, hockey is the dying sport not the nba.
I agree with you on hockey, but the NBA has faded quite badly in the last 15 years. You are fortunate to be in Cleveland. Cleveland is a hot market right now!!! Back in the days of the Hornets, Charlotte set NBA records for consecutive sellouts. This is why the NBA returned to Charlotte so quickly when the Hornets left for New Orleans. However, Charlotte (and many other cities) love affair with the NBA is gone. The NBA needs to address this issue with methods other than moving teams away. Charlotte has the Bobcats yet is still in love with the Hornets. Our best memories of the NBA in town is with a team that is no longer here.

I think the NBA would be great for Cincy, but it must be done right. The arena needs to be downtown and light/heavy rail should be built to the arena. Light Rail is something Charlotte and Cleveland have in common when it comes to going to sporting events. I still stand by my comment that Cincy will have low attendance and a "suspect" team at best. Other than that, the city would benefit greatly!!!

I know this is a little off topic, but how close does the RTA train drop you off at Cleveland's arena?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
1.cincinnati is a northern, cold-weather city in a basketball-crazy region.

2.chris paul plays for that strong playoff team you said wasn't a success in new orleans.
1. You don't consider NC & Indiana basketball crazy regions? I would say they are probably much more basketball crazy than the Cincy metro areas, yet they are failing franchises. Both were very strong, for a brief stint, when the league was strong.

2. No, I agree the Hornets are very strong - extremely dynamic. I was referring more to the failing in terms of franchise support. There is NONE. They are on the moving block yet again. Seattle simply beat them to the punch for OKC. Seriously, OKC. Ladies and gentlemen,....the Cincinnati Hornets!!! Ughhhh...not much of a ring there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati