U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM

414 posts, read 1,128,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
MJ drafted kwame brown in washington, and adam morrison in charlotte. the man doesn't know what he's doing, and washington is much better without him.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't defending MJ in any way. I was simply saying the franchise was D-E-A-D before he came on board. His incompitence and lack of involvement certainly hasn't helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,379,507 times
the rapids (all lines) will take you downtown, the station is underground beneath tower city. walkway tunnels connect to the arena so no need to worry about snow/rain.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 AM

a city must have loyal,die-hard fans to keep the teams..win or loose. hell im from the city of biggest loosers ! lol ie- no super-bowl ever (43yrs) but browns stadium always sells out. indians last world series 1948(60yrs) and no nba championship yet (38 yrs?)... im 45 yrs old and i hope i live to see at least one championship team !

Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
1. You don't consider NC & Indiana basketball crazy regions? I would say they are probably much more basketball crazy than the Cincy metro areas, yet they are failing franchises. Both were very strong, for a brief stint, when the league was strong.

2. No, I agree the Hornets are very strong - extremely dynamic. I was referring more to the failing in terms of franchise support. There is NONE. They are on the moving block yet again. Seattle simply beat them to the punch for OKC. Seriously, OKC. Ladies and gentlemen,....the Cincinnati Hornets!!! Ughhhh...not much of a ring there.
I wish I could give you more reps for these statements, but citydata won't let me!!! You are so right!!! The NBA is a league "on the move". Literally!!! The NBA is not interested in growing its product organically. Noooooo!!! They would rather just pack up and move to smaller markets that are eager to be "big league" cities. Charlotte was one of these cities back in the 80s when the Hornets came to town. Charlotte has doubled in size since the 80s (it really has. I'm not joking) yet the city supports the NBA less today!!! Size is not the issue when it comes to NBA markets. The issue is the NBA brand. I've heard that the NFL and Nascar is more popular than the NBA now LOL!!! Soon, Major League Soccer will be more popular!!! That's just sad... Wait a second, soccer is more exciting to watch than basketball!!! I guess it isn't so sad huh?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 AM

urbancharlotte, the nfl has always been more popular than the nba (fyi). im sorry but soccer to me is like watching paint dry, scores of 2-1, 3-2,1-0 bore me... personally i think soccer became popular because moms found an alternative sport where their "babies" dont get hurt as much...lol

Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
a city must have loyal,die-hard fans to keep the teams..win or loose. hell im from the city of biggest loosers ! lol ie- no super-bowl ever (43yrs) but browns stadium always sells out. indians last world series 1948(60yrs) and no nba championship yet (38 yrs?)... im 45 yrs old and i hope i live to see at least one championship team !
New cities like Charlotte don't have generations of fans. Cleveland is very unique in having been a major league city for decades. Cities in the south have been major league worthy for less than 30 years in most cases(only 20 years for Charlotte). The south is the last frontier when it comes to the major leagues.

If Cleveland was a new major league market, Cleveland would have crappy attendance too!!! The teams are a part of Cleveland's culture and history. This is not the case in new cities. Cincy's NBA team would be a new team with no established history in the region. Once the "newness" of the NBA wears off, the team will have horrible attendance until the team makes a decent playoff run. This should be expected if Cincy is serious about the NBA. Expecting an instant success is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 AM

cinci can only benefit by getting an NBA team someday. it would create another natural rivalry between cinci and cleveland. i hope someday the NBA returns to your city !

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 AM

urbancharlotte, you are correct.. i am fortunate that i live in a city that lives and dies with its teams. some of the greatest fans in pro sports are in N.E.ohio... but i would think with a large metro like cinci, they would have enough fan support.. ever notice how the fans in the "newer" cities sit and clap instead of standing,yelling and throwing snowballs and beer bottles !?? just kidding

Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
urbancharlotte, you are correct.. i am fortunate that i live in a city that lives and dies with its teams. some of the greatest fans in pro sports are in N.E.ohio... but i would think with a large metro like cinci, they would have enough fan support.. ever notice how the fans in the "newer" cities sit and clap instead of standing,yelling and throwing snowballs and beer bottles !?? just kidding
You would think that Cincy is large enough, but size is not the issue. Cincy would be starting something new in an era of the NBA that does not foster new teams very well. Cincy would have another mediocre team just like the rest of the unsuccessful new teams. Again, Cincy needs to know this much going in so there won't be any surprises.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 AM

414 posts, read 1,128,144 times
Quote:
Fortunate??? I used to think so to. Then I moved and realized that those die hard sports cities (i.e. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay, Buffalo, etc.) all of some things in common:
  • they are older cities
  • dying economies
  • lack of transplants (growth)
  • *****ty weather
  • little or no outdoor recreation nearby
The so-called fair weather fan cities simply have other things to spend their time and/ or money on. For instance; I am a die hard Panthers fan, but if they were 2-7 right now, I'd rather spend a beautiful Sunday afternoon at the beach with my family or hiking in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati