U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

If and when Cincy adds another pro team, I hope that it is not an NBA team.

We pack the house with professional tennis, so why not hockey???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,127,955 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
If and when Cincy adds another pro team, I hope that it is not an NBA team.

We pack the house with professional tennis, so why not hockey???
Ahhh.....Cincinnati hockey. I sure do miss the old mid-90's Cyclones when they played at the Gardens. That was great stuff. Minor league hockey at it's best. It seemed as though every game was a near sellout. Then they went and ruined it by moving to the downtown arena. Bad move. Hockey should be played in a dark, musty, smelly building. The fans didn't move with them

Anyways, the NHL might be the only league declining faster than the NBA. I actually see a possible retraction of teams in the next decade or so. Possibly as many as 5 or 6. I don't think relocation will be an option for any team. That league is now in a stage of financial desparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Ahhh.....Cincinnati hockey. I sure do miss the old mid-90's Cyclones when they played at the Gardens. That was great stuff. Minor league hockey at it's best. It seemed as though every game was a near sellout. Then they went and ruined it by moving to the downtown arena. Bad move. Hockey should be played in a dark, musty, smelly building. The fans didn't move with them

Anyways, the NHL might be the only league declining faster than the NBA. I actually see a possible retraction of teams in the next decade or so. Possibly as many as 5 or 6. I don't think relocation will be an option for any team. That league is now in a stage of financial desparation.
Really?

I would assume that hockey is growing faster than basketball? There's gotta be stats for popularity trends in sports on the net somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,127,955 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Really?

I would assume that hockey is growing faster than basketball? There's gotta be stats for popularity trends in sports on the net somewhere.

Hockey is definitely growing as far as participation (youth) is concerned, but that doesn't always translate into success on a professional level - see soccer.

Attendance for the NHL has actually risen quite a bit since the last work stopage a few years ago, but that was after hitting rock bottom. The problem is, they had to really lower ticket prices to make this happen - well player salaries have not declined to match the loss of revenue. To make things worse, Gary Betmann, the worst commish in all of sports, could only close on a national network deal with the Versus network. Not really a ratings beast there.

To put things in perspecive; the NBA finals last year had a TV rating that was double last year's NHL finals. To make it even worse, this year's World Series (the worst rated in history) received 6 times more viewers than last year's Stanley Cup. And that was actually a good year for the NHL. Detroit, "Hockey Town" had empty seats for the playoffs.

Columbus in itself has hurt the chances of Cincinnati ever getting an NHL team. Not only because of proximity, but because of there struggles. They were 29th out of 30 teams last year in attendance. They only missed being dead last by 3 people per game. That's pretty sad for a relatively new franchise.

Bottom line, the NHL let player salaries get out of hand, thus putting the burden on the fan. With the exception of a few American cities and Canada, people generally don't know enough about the sport to justify paying $40 for a nosebleed seat when they can pay $8 to watch a minor league team.

Go Cyclones!

Bring back the Gardens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,654,712 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Hockey is definitely growing as far as participation (youth) is concerned, but that doesn't always translate into success on a professional level - see soccer.

Attendance for the NHL has actually risen quite a bit since the last work stopage a few years ago, but that was after hitting rock bottom. The problem is, they had to really lower ticket prices to make this happen - well player salaries have not declined to match the loss of revenue. To make things worse, Gary Betmann, the worst commish in all of sports, could only close on a national network deal with the Versus network. Not really a ratings beast there.

To put things in perspecive; the NBA finals last year had a TV rating that was double last year's NHL finals. To make it even worse, this year's World Series (the worst rated in history) received 6 times more viewers than last year's Stanley Cup. And that was actually a good year for the NHL. Detroit, "Hockey Town" had empty seats for the playoffs.

Columbus in itself has hurt the chances of Cincinnati ever getting an NHL team. Not only because of proximity, but because of there struggles. They were 29th out of 30 teams last year in attendance. They only missed being dead last by 3 people per game. That's pretty sad for a relatively new franchise.

Bottom line, the NHL let player salaries get out of hand, thus putting the burden on the fan. With the exception of a few American cities and Canada, people generally don't know enough about the sport to justify paying $40 for a nosebleed seat when they can pay $8 to watch a minor league team.

Go Cyclones!

Bring back the Gardens!
Ain't that the truth. Charlotte's minor league hockey team sometimes bring in more fans to the arena than the Bobcats LOL!!! I know Cincy is a much more established city than Charlotte, but that isn't the issue. The NBA is just not what it used to be. When player salaries and ticket prices come down to Earth, we will see the NBA take off again. Until then, Cincy needs to leave the NBA alone. The NBA is a losing product. Cincy deserves better!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,576 posts, read 2,303,116 times
Reputation: 651
If teams are going bad why don't the players agree to a 30% cut? Just like the hard working people that's paying their salaries do when their company is doing not so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 3,938,486 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
When player salaries and ticket prices come down to Earth, we will see the NBA take off again. Until then, Cincy needs to leave the NBA alone. The NBA is a losing product. Cincy deserves better!!!
Whether or not the bargaining agreement is worked out, if cincinnati sits around while the nba gets healthy, it's gonna be too late once the league is great again. but that's how we like cincinnati, a score behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,654,712 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Whether or not the bargaining agreement is worked out, if cincinnati sits around while the nba gets healthy, it's gonna be too late once the league is great again. but that's how we like cincinnati, a score behind.
If Cincy moves now, you guys will end paying too much for a team that is probably going to lose value. I think $300 million is the going rate for a team (check me on that number please). An arena is also $300 million. That going rate for a team is sure to drop within the next 5 to 10 years before it goes up again. 7 years from now would be perfect timing for Cincy to go after a team. Right now is just too premature I think. Cincy should start building a new downtown arena in about 4-5 years. Rail transit into this arena is a must!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
 
1,071 posts, read 3,938,486 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
If Cincy moves now, you guys will end paying too much for a team that is probably going to lose value. I think $300 million is the going rate for a team (check me on that number please). An arena is also $300 million. That going rate for a team is sure to drop within the next 5 to 10 years before it goes up again. 7 years from now would be perfect timing for Cincy to go after a team. Right now is just too premature I think. Cincy should start building a new downtown arena in about 4-5 years. Rail transit into this arena is a must!!!
seven years sounds about as soon as it's possible, your timeline is excellent . you have to to have an owner, a layered development plan (arena, shopping, a gathering place/park, parking, transit etc.), a contract to build an arena, an OD of cincinnati politics, rail in place and partially funded...the city needs to start yesterday (see the banks, stadiums).

cincinnati should pursue the nba for no other reason than this - the city needs to get on something they should have done a long time ago. if they are serious about making cincinnati a destination, there should be no half-steppin'. imho broadway commons has the potential to be a much more vibrant destination than even the banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
236 posts, read 602,076 times
Reputation: 97
Cincinnati will never ever get an NBA team. Look for the NBA to try the Oklahoma City approach going forward. One pro team for one town...all the dollars to buy the suites, advertising, etc.

Not mention the disposable income equation which puts Cincinnati on the bottom of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top