U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Reputation: 4661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Cincinnati will never ever get an NBA team. Look for the NBA to try the Oklahoma City approach going forward. One pro team for one town...all the dollars to buy the suites, advertising, etc.

Not mention the disposable income equation which puts Cincinnati on the bottom of the list.
Well, the NBA tried that with Charlotte back in the 80's. 5 years later, the NFL followed them to Charlotte. Now there is talk of MLB coming to Charlotte. Imagine that.

The NBA needs to lower their payroll so the average family can afford to go see these "stars" play 50 times a year. This will also help the NBA expand into the smaller markets like Grand Rapids MI, Birmingham AL, and Des Moines IA.

Also, all NHL and NBA teams should share an arena. I think some cities already do this, but ALL should. The NBA and NHL are just not popular enough to support their own arena IMO. Many cities make more money on concerts and shows hosted by their arenas than the city's NBA/NHL teams.

I say Cincy should build a new arena for concerts and shows. Much like Cleveland, a train should drop people off at the arena's front door!!! If the NBA follows this arena, great!!! If it doesn't, oh well. The city still wins!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Not mention the disposable income equation which puts Cincinnati on the bottom of the list.
Hey, we were ranked the nation's 201st richest city!

Actually, West Chester and Loveland (Cincy Suburbs) were rated 2 of the richest zip codes in the nation, but we don't claim those!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
 
1,245 posts, read 3,347,163 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
Cincinnati will never ever get an NBA team. Look for the NBA to try the Oklahoma City approach going forward. One pro team for one town...all the dollars to buy the suites, advertising, etc.

Not mention the disposable income equation which puts Cincinnati on the bottom of the list.
More reason for Dayton to get it (or Columbus...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,775,875 times
Reputation: 115
I love Cincinnati and I love the NBA, but I can't see how that marriage would work. The Reds have been there forever and have a celebrated history, and even they can't fill their stadium to more than 50% capacity unless it's a Saturday or a giveaway night.

I could see the NBA in Columbus if the NHL left town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Reputation: 383
[quote=maestro;6210945]I love Cincinnati and I love the NBA, but I can't see how that marriage would work. The Reds have been there forever and have a celebrated history, and even they can't fill their stadium to more than 50% capacity unless it's a Saturday or a giveaway night.
quote]

Put a winning team on the field and that would change, case in point: pre-1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,128,144 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
More reason for Dayton to get it (or Columbus...)
Alright, seriously....this is the third time in this thread you've mentioned Dayton. No offense, I actually like Dayton as a city, but "W" would have had a better chance winning a third term than Dayton does getting an NBA team.

Columbus, too close to Indy and Cleveland. Indy is struggling as it is and C'Bus doesn't support the one pro franchise they do have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,775,875 times
Reputation: 115
[quote=Cincy-Rise;6211021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I love Cincinnati and I love the NBA, but I can't see how that marriage would work. The Reds have been there forever and have a celebrated history, and even they can't fill their stadium to more than 50% capacity unless it's a Saturday or a giveaway night.
quote]

Put a winning team on the field and that would change, case in point: pre-1995.
I don't buy that. The stands were half-empty back in 1999 when the Reds were pretty good and missed the playoffs by 1 game.

If they were more of a contender, I think they'd draw better than they do know but still not at 90-100% capacity each night like you would expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,775,875 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Alright, seriously....this is the third time in this thread you've mentioned Dayton. No offense, I actually like Dayton as a city, but "W" would have had a better chance winning a third term than Dayton does getting an NBA team.

Columbus, too close to Indy and Cleveland. Indy is struggling as it is and C'Bus doesn't support the one pro franchise they do have.
considering the NHL has very little following going into it, I think Columbus has done a decent job supposed the Blue Jackets. Especially when you include how much money people have shelled out on those seat licenses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,128,144 times
Reputation: 286
[quote=maestro;6211244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post

I don't buy that. The stands were half-empty back in 1999 when the Reds were pretty good and missed the playoffs by 1 game.

If they were more of a contender, I think they'd draw better than they do know but still not at 90-100% capacity each night like you would expect.

I agree. 1995.....that was 13 years ago! A lot has changed since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
 
414 posts, read 1,128,144 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
considering the NHL has very little following going into it, I think Columbus has done a decent job supposed the Blue Jackets. Especially when you include how much money people have shelled out on those seat licenses!
But, still the reality is; they were 29th out of 30 in attendance last season. Dead last this year. That includes many new franchises as well, including southern cities like Raleigh, Atlanta, Phoenix, Tampa, Miami and Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top