Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,413 times

Advertisements

I need some advice on places to live and commutes for my relocation to cincy. I'll be working at Bethesda North Hospital in NE cincy but due to my regular travel will be flying out of CVG about 3-4 times a month. I'm considering HP, Oakley, Mt. Adams, Mt Lookout, and some places downtown. Places with a variety of restaurants/bars and some nightlife are ideal. Obviously I could live in Montgomery area to be close to my place of employment, but through a little research, it doesn't look like much goes on there. Are there other areas that would fit the bill on the NE side?

So if I lived in one of the stated areas around the core of cincy, how is the commute during rush hour on I-71?

By reading the forums here, I definitely will be driving around for a couple of days to locate a good place but wanted a heads up before I got there.

Thanks for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,825,930 times
You'd do well commute-wise to live in town or in Northern Kentucky. Rush-hour traffic volume is far higher toward the city in the morning and out from the city in the evening. Although the inbound backups from "across the river" would be in the same direction you're going in, they're easily avoided. By taking any bridge but the Brent Spence on I-75/71, in fact, you'd probably not run into much of a jam at all.

The more "happening" locales between the airport and Montgomery are: Newport and Covington on the Kentucky side, then downtown and Mt Adams and "East" Walnut Hills and O'Bryonville and Hyde Park and Mt Lookout and Oakley in Cincinnati. Clifton and Northside aren't immediately adjacent to I-71 but are a short hop from it via the Norwood Lateral Expressway. I've lost count of the number of threads which have gone into this in depth. Each of these areas has its own "profile." Let me/us know more about what style of housing you favor, what constitutes good times to you (in G-rated terms, of course, lol) and so on. Also, are you male or female, because it does make a difference whether or not we like to believe it. Stella Artois may be one of the most heavily promoted and overrated brews out there, lol, but that's all right.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 AM

310 posts, read 1,209,428 times
Default Relocating to Cincy

Many of the areas that you mentioned would be very logical choices to begin looking. You will hit the most traffic around Kenwood through I-275 during the rush hour.
I agree that Northern Kentucky may offer some great choices. Another area in N.Ky would be Park Hills if you are looking to buy.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
HP Mt. Adams and Oakley are all nice. Downtown is great. Because you are reverse commuting it won't be as bad

Old 07-25-2008, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
GG: Thanks for advice. I have read many of your posts about the different areas mentioned above and your details have been great. I'm not too picky about style of housing.

G-rated times inlcude: socializing with younger crowds 20-30's, running outside in the neighborhood/parks for excersize, coffee shops for sat afternoon, shopping trips, outdoor BBQ, volleyball, basketball, golf, bars a few times a month, and plays/muscials/concerts. I like areas that doesn't shut down at 8:00pm

Tell me how my gender makes a difference in what you would recommend. I'm a single female but in a relationship.

BTW: Stella won a bunch of awards for it's marketing/website development this year, so your first opinon has some hard facts to back it up but your second opinon, "overrated", is just that, yours

MD and jlr: good to know about the traffic patterns.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 AM

710 posts, read 3,045,265 times
Mt, Adams sounds like a perfect fit

Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,777 times
Are you looking to buy a home? I have an owner in the Reserve of Montgomery looking to move? The home is around $1.5M and located 5 minutes from Bethesda Hospital. The home is a must see all brick in culdesac and developed community.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
Hyde Park wouldn't be a bad choice either. Shops, yuppies, restaurants... and I can't remember the last time I was waiting in line at Teller's that someone didn't go jogging by and run over me.

For what it's worth, you're going to run into heavy traffic on 75 and 71 during rush hour... no matter what. Besides being a main highway system for everyone in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky, it's the heaviest traveled North/South route in the US.

Leave yourself plenty of time for getting around.

Also, you can hop on 471 on the southern end of 71 and get yourself to 275 West, headed to CVG. Currently, the Northern-most part of 275 is under construction... and it's jammed daily.

Lastly, I grew up in the snow belt... and people here have a hard time dealing with snow... even just an inch of it will snarl traffic like you wouldn't believe; just so you're ready for the fun.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 13,736 times
Hi,

I travel every week our of CVG airport and find that living in NKY is easiest. I currently work in Blue Ash which is close to Bethesda North Hospital. It takes me 20 minutes commute from NKY. We have our home for sale if their might be an interest. It has city views and is less than 5 minutes from downtown nightlife! [URL="http://www.cincycityviews.com"]www.cincycityviews.com[/URL]

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati