U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM

33 posts, read 129,718 times

Advertisements

Deer Park just won an excellence award??!!! Wow, impressive! When I went there in the 70's-early 80's it was BAD.

Anyway...ditto, Reading is a very nice place. Lockland, not so much! I have no problem with the "Appalachian" heritage, it's more about the proximity to Lincoln Heights. For a little while I worked at Westendorf's Market right there on W. Forrer...it got scary sometimes. Sad that now it's gone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:31 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
I grew up w/Mike Mages, great kid. He's plying his craft over on the west side somewhere now. Westendorf's and I go back to when Joe Westendorf lived just a few doors down from his store in Wyoming. He cashed in by selling to LaRosa's in the early '70s after seeing the writing on the wall with a King Kwik opening a block up the street. It's sad to roll down I-75 and glance over to see the store on West Forrer empty. Between megasupermarkets like Meijer and biggs and Kroger being able to take care of furnishing everything you need and a lot that you don't under one roof, and 24-7-366 convenience stores all over the place, the surprise is that Westendorf's held on for as long as it did. I also mourn the demise of Merkle's on Dunn St, even though that was a long time ago now. Butcher shops like those were a little bit too much "reality" for some - "Yes, that's blood on the man's apron, honey, he just cut up a cow for our supper" LOL. But their products tasted a zillion times better than what you now have to buy shrink-wrapped at a grocery store's imitation deli.

Paranoia strikes deep in Cincinnati (not that it's unique) when a community is known to have an AA population. It's not the skin color to worry about, folks, it's the income level. Lincoln Hts and western Lockland are as sketchy in parts as they are not because the residents are Black, but because they're PO'. It's a human reaction to resent one's lot in life and to sometimes act on that resentment, not a racial one. Paddock Hills, an "integrated" community by any measure except by class, boasts the lowest crime rate in its police district - which incidentally includes placid Hartwell. Many doors in Kennedy Hts, where about 5/6 of the population is "of color," are left unlocked without incident. "Proximity to" a majority Black area is coded language that Cincy sees way more than enough of. Even in hard-knock vicinities far more people are law-abiding than not. But poverty does bring out the worst in a lot of folks: I waste no more time driving through Lower Price Hill and Camp Washington than I do in OTR and southern Avondale.

Disclaimer: Goyguy is not some child of privilege living in ivory-towered splendor in one of America's academic Meccas and politically progressive strongholds. He's a living-check-to-check type working person dwelling in a neighborhood of others like him, and spent several memorable (in an overwhelmingly positive sense) years renting in a Boston community much like Corryville. He's been jumped at his own front door. He's been burglarized on two occasions, and he surprised a would-be burglar on a third. He's been at the wrong end of a gun twice. He knows whereof he speaks. So hold yer fire.

All these individuals who know nothing of Lockland beyond squalid West Wyoming Ave and raggedy Anthony Wayne Ave need to get off their high horses and actually see the place as a whole. Wander up North Cooper Ave beyond the high school, and what's there? Block after block of meticulously well-maintained houses, folks walking around without looking over their shoulders, and few for-sale signs. Drive along streets like Home Ave and Jonte during December, and see one of the Tri-State's more bedazzling light shows - but go before about 9 PM, because the switches are thrown at "bedtime." Then mosey around the southeastern sector of town, where Dexter Ave is situated. 'tain't rich, but there's a wealth of pride evident in that area too. There has to be, between all the Wyoming snobbery I know all too well and the smugness emanating from Reading because it's a tad bit better off. Otherwise you'd have to lock your car doors in those parts of the village too.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 PM

33 posts, read 129,718 times
Mike Mages was always very nice to me when I worked there, which wasn't long - I was a kid needing a simple minimum wage summer job. I always thought it was so neat that Westendorf's kept accounts for its customers, and was amazed that the store could hold on as long as it did with, as you say, po' folks putting groceries on a tab. I think Ma & Pa were pretty generous with their regulars. Which makes it doubly sad that it's gone.

Please don't think I'm a child of privilege in an ivory tower either - or racist. Yes, I'm white, but I do have black friends and it's more about income and education than race. I live in a well-to-do area now, but have lived in a trashy trailer park too. If I'm a snob, it's only because I'm proud to have what I've worked hard to get. I grew up in Deer Park, have lived in Blue Ash, North College Hill, Liberty Twp, and now Springboro.

My parents had a FIT when I moved to NCH because it's "West Side!!!" :-o

Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 15,614 times
So many different opinions. Goyguy has been very nice to reply to me in detail about the city and surrounding areas. His advice based on others have pretty much sold us on Lock and Dexter Ave in particular. I am sure it will work out for us. It has too =).

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM

4 posts, read 15,614 times
How much do you guys know about Stewart Street in Lockland? Thanks

Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,399 times
I have lived in Lockland for about 5 years now and I love it here. There are some riff raff living here but u get that no matter where you go.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Thanks for reviving this!
Lockland is one of those places that doesn't get talked up enough when the "daily" new thread gets started about good areas to live in. I think this is mostly because everyone wants the most for their money in terms of livability, and the quality of the public schools is a major part of that. IMHO anybody can get a solid education there if they put their minds to it, but most of the overrated rankings put Lockland about in the middle. The "senior prank" earlier this year which involved breaking into and trashing the high school wasn't exactly an image boost either.
As far as livability outside of school, I think most of the village has lots of appeal and is very affordable to boot. The same holds true there as in many areas in the Tri-State: much of the business districts look raggedy if not empty, but detour down any given side street for a block or two and it's a whole different scene. Folks keep up their houses and yards well. There's a safe, small-towny feel in the air. Aside from the Stearns & Foster mess, the scars of Lockland's collapse as a manufacturing hub are starting to heal. (But the tax base may be another story.) Even the low-income AA enclave west of North Wayne and north of West Wyoming is starting to improve in appearance, thanks to some home renovations and new construction.
Maybe this year I can make it over to Home Ave before the big Christmas light shows are switched off for the night.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 PM

P.S. I kept in touch with this thread's OP for a while. He ended up deciding to move his family to New Jersey instead. That's not knocking Lockland - LOL - either he or his wife or both had relatives in NJ and they opted in favor of settling there.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM

350 posts, read 717,379 times
My mind tends to associate the sights of Lincoln Heights when I hear 'Lockland'. I know it's not even close bit it's just what's around Lockland's north side that is pretty bad...and LH is the worst. Living on Wyoming Ave wouldn't be bad at all.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM

22 posts, read 69,818 times
Lake_Cuyahoga, you mentioned cops breathing down one's back. How is Wyoming, Glendale, Hyde park, Mt. Lookout. I like the historic homes, but I don't need to have my civil liberties violated by cops who should be helping to control serious crime. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or