U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,867 times

Advertisements

Linda,

We own a place across Pike street next to the Museum. You should have no concerns about walking around the area late at night. We walk downtown and back at all hours, light or dark. There aren't any concerns in that area, or the walk to the square. People walk there dogs in the park alone at all time of the day and night. No one thinks anything of it.

By the way, there's a nice community herb garden in the park with just about everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM

205 posts, read 806,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Of course there are people there their age! There are people there of all ages, middle and upper-class.

Close to OTR?!? Do you even know where this building is? You have no idea what you are talking about.

If I've ever read a post with racist under-tones, this is one. I would say you should think about what you type before you click "submit" ... but this is a personal issue that cannot be ignored in 2008.
I don't know if I see any "racist under-tones". OTR has had a well-deserved reputation for crime and violence for decades although my understanding is that this is turning around to some extent. I hope it is.

Commenting on this reputation isn't - at least IMO - "racist".

I do agree, though, that Lytle Park is far removed from OTR and I think it would be a great area to live in.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM

710 posts, read 2,653,058 times
I recomend downtown and lytle park

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM

21 posts, read 66,612 times
You would be FINE in this neighborhood. I'm a single young lady of rather petite stature and feel very safe and comfortable walking around downtown Cinci at night, and to a degree even *gasp* OTR.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 58,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Linda View Post
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...e_pdf15590.pdf

I looked at a map posted on one of the threads and found this area to be in the CBD/Riverfront. The stats I referenced above are a bit discouraging. Any input otherwise would be appreciated.
When looking at these stats there are a few things to keep in mind. The Central Business District has a very small population. The 45202 postal code has less than 10 thousand people living in it. According the Downtown Cincinnati Inc. there are only 3,189 people in Downtown proper.

Each day of the week more than 70 thousand people come to work downtown. With that food traffic comes more crime, but it's like other areas with a commuter population...crime goes up when you have people who aren't from the area spending time there and calling the police. To put things into perspective, the Vatican has the highest rate of crime of any country in the world...because only 800 people live there. The situation is similar Downtown.

Residents and former residents (myself included) will tell you it's really a great place to live.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,661 times
Hi again everyone,
It is so strange to read the above posts because we have been living happily in the "550", over looking the park for 6 months now and we are about to gladly renew our lease. There are many residents living here who have sold their houses and intend to live out the rest of their lives in this building, and I can certainly understand their passion for this location as well as the city itself. My husband walks to and from work at the American Book building and comes home for lunch everyday. We are very happy here. We have one balcony and it overlooks the park. The Winter was tough for us Floridians, but the bright lights of the city and the lights on the Lytle Park trees kept the gloominess away. How can you be bored or gloomy when you can look outside and see such a beautiful city alive with activity 24/7? (Sometimes I feel the building shudder a tiny bit because of the traffic in the tunnel, but I try not to freak out.) We love the events at the Aronoff and the proximity of the Newport AMC movies. I know I am very safe here and I walk my dogs whenever I want. The Cincinnati police often drive their cars, or ride the horses by the park. It is so much safer here than the area around The Edgecliff condos, which is where we stayed our first 3 months up here.

The soups at the Taft Museum are like those from a 5 star restaurant, and their lunches are reasonably priced and delicious beyond words. On free Wednesdays, I sit in front of the Rembrandt pinching myself that I am actually a few inches from such a masterpiece! The people here in Cincinnati and northern Kentucky are just about the nicest I have ever met. I was at the Norwood Walmart yesterday and an old man dropped a five dollar bill out of his pocket. There were about 7 people, employees and shoppers, involved in making sure he got it back. He originally denied it was his, but one person had seen it drop from his pocket and wasn't letting him go until he got it back. I have never seen anything like this but it is indicative what I am referring to. I do not live with my head underground though. I know there is crime, poverty and other chronic problems here, but for the most part I am truly amazed as to how so many warm, courteous, genuinely nice people ended up in one municipality!

I just joined the Lytle Park Gardeners Herb club and even helped by printing out the flyers. And YES, those busses truly do haul butt around the corner and the mutts and I must hurry across the street. I sit at my window with my little dog's paw waving at the tourists in the horse buggies going by. They look up and see a goofy middle aged woman waving at them with a little white dog's paw. They always wave back. As I said, there is always something to do even if you are sitting at your own window. Moving here has been such a blessing. The Lord surprised us with this one. I came here in pain and anxiety having just survived cancer treatment, but now I am experiencing a healing physically and emotionally...and I must honestly attribute this to the privilege of living in the Queen City.

So thanks to all of you for your input and in helping me make this decision. I am an official Red's fan now loaded up with gear and attending every game we can and watching the others on TV. My husband's boss, a longtime Reds fan looked my husband right in the eye when he hired him and said with great emotion..."Those Reds...they will break your heart!". Well, now I feel as if I have adopted all those kids that play for the Reds and yes, there is agony and joy when you fall in love with the Reds. (Gotta admit, I am not into the local chili or the Bengals.)

Please forgive my long discourse.Again, thanks to all of you.
Sincerely,
Linda

Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,867 times
Linda,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with your new city and neighborhood. I'll be sure to look for you and your dog waving whenever I walk by.

Is it too early for mint in the herb garden? Derby Day is fast approaching.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,309 times
You didn't mention The Mercantile Library! You really must check it out. Then you will have found another Cincinnati treasure!

I'm glad you updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati