U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,652 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have done a "thread search" but still have had no luck with my specific concern. We will be moving to Cincinnati within a few weeks. We were up there a couple of weeks ago and found 550 E 4th Apartments with a vacancy. It is within our budget. It is one block from where the new job would be. My husband could walk to work in less than one minute. We are a middle aged couple (50's) who want to experience living in the city. However, we want to be wise in our decision making also. When we were up there recently for a weekend, a Reds/Mets series was on and the place was active at night. We fell in love with the city, the people and the area around Lytle Park. However, I am looking at a 6 month lease and I want to be able to walk around safely with my pets, or alone at night.
We like the idea of being able to walk right out the front door and into town for entertainment such as museums and nice dinners in the evenings. Are we being naive?
I have read the many feisty conversations in here about the safety of the city, but I have not been able to reach a conclusion.

I thank you very much in advance,
Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:01 PM

87 posts, read 307,395 times
Go for it, Linda.

Downtown Cincinnati is safe at night. Of course, you should be somewhat aware of your surroundings when walking at night, but that's for any city. The 550 E 4th apartments are gated, so you'll definately sleep safe.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 PM

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...e_pdf15590.pdf

I looked at a map posted on one of the threads and found this area to be in the CBD/Riverfront. The stats I referenced above are a bit discouraging. Any input otherwise would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Thank you Lady BeBop for your input!
I really loved that area. I'll talk to some of the people who live in the apartments around there as soon as I get up there.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
The stars were aligned in your favor in a major way - can't believe you found a vacancy in 550! It's been a great address since Day One (late '60s - early '70s.) That's when some "urban removal" happened to make way for I-71, which was tunneled underneath Lytle Park. My mom cried over the destruction of all the old sycamore trees, but time has healed the wound to that space nicely.
As close by as they are, the stadiums and US Bank Center might as well be miles away. Little if any of the sports-event rowdiness makes it way toward Lytle Park. You shouldn't feel any hesitancy before walking out the door at night.
I'm not a fan of the Fountain Square redo - "Genius of the Waters" deserved better than to be pushed to one side of the plaza. But downtown's waking up now that all the construction work is over. Enjoy all that it has to offer, anticipate what lies ahead, and BECOME MEMBERS AT THE TAFT MUSEUM. It's a gem in the Queen City's crown that surprisingly few folks know about much less appreciate, a hop skip and jump from 550 East 4th.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Hey, Linda, don't hesitate to rent there. You'll love it.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:22 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
I agree. Safety concerns are silly at this point for that area. I know two different people that have a unit in this building and both are very happy with where they live.

Soon you'll be a couple of blocks away from the Banks and a 5 minute walk from Fountain Square which is drawing tons of interest in the restaurant/bar scene.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 15,907 times
During the day there should be no problem but I don't think I would walk my dog at night alone. Are there any other couples your age living in the apt. building? I feel you're a little too close to Over the Rhine to be walking alone at night.
Phyllis

Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana423 View Post
During the day there should be no problem but I don't think I would walk my dog at night alone. Are there any other couples your age living in the apt. building?
Phyllis
Of course there are people there their age! There are people there of all ages, middle and upper-class.

Close to OTR?!? Do you even know where this building is? You have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
I feel you're a little too close to Over the Rhine to be walking alone at night.
If I've ever read a post with racist under-tones, this is one. I would say you should think about what you type before you click "submit" ... but this is a personal issue that cannot be ignored in 2008.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
*confused* Over-the-Rhine is nowhere near Lytle Park.

The biggest danger in that area are when the buses come careening around the corner from Columbia Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati