U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM

213 posts, read 538,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
There is actually a lot more undeveloped land in western Hamilton County than the eastern section of the county. The eastern section of the loop takes a broader sweep around the entire east side, whereas the west side of the loop dips down into the county before entering Indiana. So when you're on I-275 in the western section of the county, you can't see a lot of empty land that stretches all the way north toward Butler county, and you miss all the space that is out toward Harrison.

As for your other question, the established dividing line between east and west runs along Vine street and Route 4. The "rivalry" comes from the west side of the county being much more conservative than the east side.

The west has deeper family roots and people born there tend to stay there as they grow older. They are more sports-minded than people from the east, and are generally more thrifty in their ways. There is a strong blue-collar work ethic on the west side, and people aren't quite so concerned with "flashy" things.

The east side is more liberal, and more oriented toward singles or young couples looking to start families. There is a greater sense of entrepreneurism in the east, and the people are generally more active in the arts/society/social activism scene.

On the west side, when people ask you what school you went to, they are referring to "high school", whereas if the east side asked that question, they'd be referring to "college". The east side is generally considered more "hip", while the west side is seen as not-so-progressive. Each side has a tendency to be very territorial, and is loyal to its side of the county, thus looking down upon one another.
I'm a born west-sider who lived several years in Anderson Township (now back on the west side) and I can tell you from my experience the whole "where you went to school" question always referred to high school no matter what side of town I was on. That is one of those generalizations that I found not to be true (eastside referring to college that is).

There is no doubt that east-siders tend to view the west-side as poor and west-siders view the east-side as wealthy when in truth they are a lot more similar than people think when it comes to income IMO. East-siders have no clue that million dollar homes and incredibly wealthy subdivisions exist in places like North Bend and western Delhi. Same with west-siders having no clue that there are a lot of middle class areas in Milford, Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, Mt Washington, Anderson, etc...

And a lot of people have different views on what the west-side really is. Some view everything west of 75 no matter how far north as the "west side". My own definition is likely totally different than those who were raised in say Colerain Twp or elsewhere. As someone raised in Westwood we always grew up with the view that the west-side was everything directly west of downtown only (ie Westwood, Price Hill, Cheviot, Delhi, Bridgetown, North Bend) and not areas well north of downtown. It's an interesting discussion for sure because the viewpoints differ dramatically based on personal experience.

Last edited by Montrell; 10-22-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM

89 posts, read 82,482 times
Not being from Cincinnati originally, I think it would do the city well to just drop the whole east/west conversation. It is old, tired, limiting and not positive for a city to be so divided. I live on the west side. We are pretty much as liberal as you can get. We have lots of friends that are the same. I love quiche, wine, beer and bbq. I don't limit myself with such classist ideas, and our friends are the same. The old guard of high class people do this and middle class people do that and lower class people are this or that is quickly changing.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:03 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
I think the West Side "where do you go to school" thing is a charming bonding exercise. I don't see it as divisive at all. For the locals over there its all an opportunity to claim a connection with a sports or other rivalry.

Chill, no one is looking down on you because you didn't go to Seton.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times
A social tip for transplants:

When someone asks you where you went to school on the East side, they are referring to the place where you received your professional or graduate degree, as no one cares about your undergraduate institution. When someone asks you where you went to school on the West side, they are referring to the high school that you attended before you were forced to drop out because of an unplanned pregnancy.

As my 9th grade theology teacher told me during the first week of class, the real difference between the East and West side is that West side women have fake jewelry but real orgasms.

I guess I should add that I am just kidding. Half of my family is from the West side and I am marrying a Westsider this spring. She loves the jewelry joke by the way.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The same can be said for the two Price Hills - there's actually only one, but the media never fail to trot out "East" or "West" in an article. No actual line is there. "East" is not only a geographic locator, but also code for "where most of the Blacks, Hispanics, and poor Whites are." Even today with a diverse population distributed through nearly the entire area that connotation is carried. Once upon a time, the "West" prefix was code for "the Italian section," but with the demographic shifts being as they've been I doubt anybody attaches that meaning any longer.
East, West, and Lower Price Hill are actually neighborhood designations used for police reports and neighborhood organizations. "Lower" Price hill is the area that has the worst reputation.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:30 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
A social tip for transplants:

When someone asks you where you went to school on the East side, they are referring to the place where you received your professional or graduate degree, as no one cares about your undergraduate institution. When someone asks you where you went to school on the West side, they are referring to the high school that you attended before you were forced to drop out because of an unplanned pregnancy.

As my 9th grade theology teacher told me during the first week of class, the real difference between the East and West side is that West side women have fake jewelry but real orgasms.

I guess I should add that I am just kidding. Half of my family is from the West side and I am marrying a Westsider this spring. She loves the jewelry joke by the way.

^^^ Now that is some funny **** right there.

I married a Westsider too. I knew when she had a real title to her car instead of a payment book that she was the girl I'd been looking for.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:43 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,635,095 times
Born east sider here- but have lived all over. There are clear differences between the sides.

East:
Spread out
people know people- youre at the mall, youre going to find someone you went to school with
"rich" type attitude
More expensive to live (rent i mean)

west:
closer together/more crowded housing/people
people dont generally know people and that makes it great to know more people
poor type attitude as in they get on a bus to go to the store and dont think 2x of it
cheaper to live

Ive lived as far west as Colerain and as far east as Fayetteville.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:45 PM

89 posts, read 82,482 times
Haven't been asked where I went to school by anyone I've met on the Westside. I think the demographics, at least within the groups that I frequent are changing quickly. I guess I just don't run in "those" groups where it matters. I tend to stick with other transplants and parents from my daughter's school. And if someone asked, I would say the University of Louisville by way of Berea College since there's no way they would know where my little high school in WV is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati