U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:03 AM

13 posts, read 68,884 times

Advertisements

I understand cultural diversity and that doesn't mean automatically that I am white. All races appreciate certain qualities of their race and prefer those qualities simply because it is what they are accustomed to and feel comfortable with. Mbullard, there are many segmented areas in Cincinnati that have one race. Without knowing what race you feel comfortable around, it is hard to answer the question. Lincoln Hts is African-American, Hyde Park is upper-class caucasion. Could you give more information on what you are looking for? There are great areas in Cincinnati that any race could enjoy for a lifetime.

Doris Day, who was born in Evanston (a Cincinnati neighborhood) speaks of Cincinnati as her real home even after all the years of being away from it. Cincinnati is a place you will always feel is home. So many people chose to live here. Peter Frampton lives in another Cincy neighborhood, Indian Hills, not to mention all the pro athletes that decide to stay here after retirement. Cincinnati is world class.

Last edited by globack; 08-09-2008 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,439 times
Being a native of the area, I agree that the Cincinnati region can be a great place to live. Remember that all places have positive and negative attributes (and inhabitants), and I applaud you for using this means to get a feel for your possible new hometown.
There is a great debate between 'East-side' and West-side' in the area but I have known great and not-so-great people from each side. I live on the eastern fringes, so I can advise best about that area. If a 30-45 minute commute is acceptable, Eastern Clermont or Brown County may suit you. Unlike a previous post suggests, we are not all 'Deliverance'-style mouth-breathers living off meth-cooking incomes. Williamsburg and Mount Orab are both areas you may want to check out. Both are very near State Route 32 (the Appalachian Highway) and provide small-town feel with quick access to suburban shopping and access to downtown with in an hour. Both are growing quickly, though.

Whatever you decide-Good Luck. And if you decide to join our community-Welcome!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,986 times
You should look in Fort Thomas Kentucky. Wonderful place to live. Beautiful homes and a great school system. Walk your dog anytime of the day or night you please. Extremely safe. Kids can ride their bikes safely to the local convenient store or the swim club. Pride in your homes, family, and community.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:30 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,851,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLove2 View Post
You should look in Fort Thomas Kentucky. Wonderful place to live. Beautiful homes and a great school system. Walk your dog anytime of the day or night you please. Extremely safe. Kids can ride their bikes safely to the local convenient store or the swim club. Pride in your homes, family, and community.
Well, this would certainly be an ideal place if one is looking to dodge a "socially diverse" place.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 5,986 times
Agreed. Some people do prefer it that way. (not myself)
Whatever floats your boat.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,690,538 times
I believe Loveland would suit your needs. It has a very hometown kind of vibe and there's lots to do in town. The Little Miami River runs through the center of town, so you could canoe or fish. The Loveland Bike Trail is terrific and you'd be able to walk, bike, or roller blade there. The shopping you indicated is nearby as well. Best wishes.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 30,697 times
Quote:
My family might be moving to Cincinnati and I am concerned about finding a great area. We have 4 small kids that I homeschool and I don't venture far from home. I want a small town feel with the local Super Target/Wal-Mart, banks, a few restaurants, and parks. DO NOT want a culturally diverse area, been there done that. Looking for feedback of all types.
Good freeways here -- Target et al. are never all that far away, no matter where you live. And it's a very green area -- plenty of parks.

What do you mean by "culturally diverse"? Don't know how to respond to that.

I've lived in Cincinnati only about five years, and I still don't have a good sense of the place. Geographically, topographically it's lovely -- lots of hills, lots of trees. But one of the downsides of that topographical diversity is that it causes Cincinnati to be broken up into what seems to me an endless collection of very small neighborhoods, each with its own character and each, oddly, somewhat isolated from the others. As a result, I know only the areas I've lived in and visited more than once or twice: Clifton/University Heights/Fairview, Pleasant Ridge, Greenhills, Norwood. We live on the border between Kennedy Heights and Pleasant Ridge and we love it, but partly because it's a racially diverse area. The Clifton/University Heights/Fairview area is good for university access but there is an ongoing crime problem in places.

As someone's already mentioned, there is some sort of cultural divide between the east and west sides of town. I've never figured that one out, but it is real and it could impact how you eventually feel about where you live. Maybe someone else more knowledgeable than I could expand on that.

Could you be a little more specific about what you do and don't want?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbullard View Post
My family might be moving to Cincinnati and I am concerned about finding a great area. We have 4 small kids that I homeschool and I don't venture far from home. I want a small town feel with the local Super Target/Wal-Mart, banks, a few restaurants, and parks. DO NOT want a culturally diverse area, been there done that. Looking for feedback of all types.
I moved to Cincinnati a year ago, am in a very nice area (Mt.Lookout) from San Diego(for work). Now I am ready to move back. If you are not from here,Catholic or gone to high school here FORGET IT

Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,783 times
I have not met anyone here that does not have some ties here (family ,spouses family. People here talk about their high school teachers. The city is world class but as for newcomers feeling welcome forget it
Quote:
Originally Posted by globack View Post
I understand cultural diversity and that doesn't mean automatically that I am white. All races appreciate certain qualities of their race and prefer those qualities simply because it is what they are accustomed to and feel comfortable with. Mbullard, there are many segmented areas in Cincinnati that have one race. Without knowing what race you feel comfortable around, it is hard to answer the question. Lincoln Hts is African-American, Hyde Park is upper-class caucasion. Could you give more information on what you are looking for? There are great areas in Cincinnati that any race could enjoy for a lifetime.

Doris Day, who was born in Evanston (a Cincinnati neighborhood) speaks of Cincinnati as her real home even after all the years of being away from it. Cincinnati is a place you will always feel is home. So many people chose to live here. Peter Frampton lives in another Cincy neighborhood, Indian Hills, not to mention all the pro athletes that decide to stay here after retirement. Cincinnati is world class.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,851,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahari View Post
I moved to Cincinnati a year ago, am in a very nice area (Mt.Lookout) from San Diego(for work). Now I am ready to move back. If you are not from here,Catholic or gone to high school here FORGET IT
That's funny, my wife moved here and met people right away.

I have a couple of friends that moved here from OKC and are doing fine.

I have quite a few friends from Milwaukee that are doing great (they go out all of the time with other "Cincinnatians")

I also have a few friends that moved here from Cleveland, doing great as well.

Another from Toledo ... same thing, moved into a house with other "locals" and are doing great.

Does this list sound silly? I think so. Point is, it's true, these people are all non-natives, are living the life ... and this is just people that I know.

I think the best proof against your argument is the very message board you are posting on. Point, look at the last 6 or 12 months! How many non-natives, that do not know anyone here post threads that begin in "Moving to Cincy from ______, please help?"

If you enjoy life, get plugged in, don't be shy, and get out of the house you won't have any trouble ... if it were impossible, no one could -and that is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati