U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:23 PM

743 posts, read 1,151,384 times

Advertisements

Recently I was working in the greater Cincinnati area. I was in Norwood when I decided to get some lunch at Richie's on Reading. A friend of mine (not a native of SW Ohio) told me to stay away from areas like that, but I ignored him. As I was cutting through on foot, I felt very intimidated. In retrospect, nothing actually happened. I felt like the guy in old westerns, the new comes into town and everyone knows its gonna be trouble.
I have lived in other areas of the country that have been known for racial tensions, but it never struck home until that day. I don't know if I was being followed or not, I was walking fast and didn't look back.
My question is, is it really that bad in areas like Bond Hill that white people should just avoid them? And my second question, is this how black people feel when they describe racism? No one said a word to me but the tension was palpable. I'm just curious about what others think.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 PM

884 posts, read 2,311,222 times
No one said a word to me but the tension was palpable

DUH. A resounding HELL YES!. I'm sorry you had to feel that way, but until whites understand what that feels like, your community will continue to be ignorant about 'diversity' issues.

It is rare that you are are put in situations where you are the 'only'..Not only that but add the 'hostile' element, poverty, a crime infested area and you have issues. They probably thought you were a undercover narc!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:38 PM

187 posts, read 842,086 times
Default Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
No one said a word to me but the tension was palpable

DUH. A resounding HELL YES!. I'm sorry you had to feel that way, but until whites understand what that feels like, your community will continue to be ignorant about 'diversity' issues.

It is rare that you are are put in situations where you are the 'only'..Not only that but add the 'hostile' element, poverty, a crime infested area and you have issues. They probably thought you were a undercover narc!
I always find it interesting just how white want to judge something they have never experienced or been a part of. Those "friends" who are telling about places they never been should be totally ignored for their complete ignorance. I agree with BIGBLUE. Until whites get out of their comfort zones and explore other environments instead of always judging them then Cincinnati will remain in it's current state. It is unfortunate and no one can force whites to move.

Blacks are generally use to being around ALL or mostly blacks with a few Hispanics or Asians, but when a white person is around everyone usually grabs hold of their freedom as they are not sure if your coming from trouble or if you are the police, 5-0 or a spy! I would encourage you to ask for a high five from one of the on lookers in the future then give us a report as to their response. Good luck...

Old 01-26-2007, 12:21 AM

246 posts, read 940,516 times
DERRICK, are you sure that you've been coming to a COMPLETE stop at restrictive traffic control devices? 5-0/ ' us' might be watching. Even those of us who are also black.

BIGBLUELANDROVER, I could not say it better myself. Period.

By the way, Richie's stinks. YUCK!

Last edited by Yac; 01-29-2007 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM

The real impact of my experience was that I was not walking through an area that I consider run-down. Bond hill seems like a nice suburb, not Brentwood, but certainly not Compton. I can't imagine being a white family living in this area. I live, and usually tend to live in predominantly WASP suburbs. Although there are rarely minority families, sometimes Asian, do black families feel this uncomfortable living in the white suburbs? Can anything be done about this? I should feel at home in your neighborhoods, and you should feel just as comfortable in mine.
I guess its just a rude awakening when I haven't had to experience it my entire life.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Also, my black friend who warned me wasn't from Cincinnati, but he was familiar with the Norwood/Bond Hill area.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:51 PM

884 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Jest,
IMO the only situation is like Derrick said. People must get outside of their comfort zones and realize that we DO have differences but we have more similarities. I want to live in a clean, safe neighborhood with tree lined streets where my kids can play outside (with their friends!). I want the best education, a good job and a nice home. I do admit there are some in my community that don't want anything---just like in your community.
Racial issues are very hard to solve, but I hope your experience teaches you something. Perhaps you can teach your friends the same lession. We are the minority, there is only so much we can do--and should do. Go deep in Price Hill where hispanics have taken over and you'll get some "looks" as well.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Jest,
IMO the only situation is like Derrick said. People must get outside of their comfort zones and realize that we DO have differences but we have more similarities. I want to live in a clean, safe neighborhood with tree lined streets where my kids can play outside (with their friends!). I want the best education, a good job and a nice home. I do admit there are some in my community that don't want anything---just like in your community.
Racial issues are very hard to solve, but I hope your experience teaches you something. Perhaps you can teach your friends the same lession. We are the minority, there is only so much we can do--and should do. Go deep in Price Hill where hispanics have taken over and you'll get some "looks" as well.
Sadly, I'm not in the area anymore. This happened several months ago. I do speak Spanish fluently and I try to use that when I can. I think the black/white dilemma is far more complicated. I would do something if I could, I am just worried, like a previous post mentioned, that I am just seen as a narc or something else. Oh well, one day at a time. At least I've briefly been on the other side.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 28,488 times
Default Bond Hill is a tough neighborhood.

I'm from Bond Hill- I lived on California, It don't get more Bond Hill than California Ave. I just want to share a few stories from my life. I was with a new girlfriend and she was from New Orleans and she asked about my neighborhood and I told her it was cool and that people always said it was a bad neighborhood but it wasn't that bad. Just then Channel 12 had a breaking news story about 2 people shot in a robbery near the Showcase Cinema's. Second story, I was at dinner with a different female and she asked where I grew up and I told her Bond Hill, she then told me about how her and her ex boyfriend where walking from the Showcase and got robbed at gunpoint in the Richie's parking lot. Third story, I went to West High in the late 80's before there were a lot of black students and the first question that came out when I told them I was from Bond Hill was, "Wow, how many times have you been robbed?" Keep in mind these were black kids from English Woods and the Fay Apts. asking me how rough my neighborhood was. Bond Hill is a tough guy neighborhood, and it's been that way since I was a yougin' but everyone knows that the safest person in any black neighborhood is a WHITE MALE OR WHITE FEMALE. If one of us blacks get killed or shot it's just another shooting. If a WHITE GUY OR GIRL gets shot or killed it's the lead story on the news for 2 weeks. They way you felt that day is the way blacks feel everyday. That being said, I love Bond Hill and always will but Bond Hill is a tough neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,014,379 times
I use to work at the VA in Cincinnati and some other places around the city. Our job required that we travel to all places including the most poverished areas. Even the elementary schools have security gaurds and a lot of disorder. What I see shocked me. There was only a field and a swimming pool at the school. gangs on top of the hill. To get to the school you had to drive through a housing division that was frequently barricaded off by cops. You need to be careful as in any other poversihed place. But dont hate blindly.

I also was in the middle of a full scale riot that happened in Cincy not to long ago. Our car was pelted with flying debris. I was scared for my life as there were thousands of angry black folks rioting and cops with shotguns blocking off the only exists. Ill never forget it. Never do I want to be in a situation like that. They almost stopepd the car and pulled us out. I dont have any malice or hate towards any of those people. But yes you should be very careful.

Cincinnati wont be Cincy again until the minorities have a higher quality of life. Until the ghettos that perpetaute broken families, distrust, drugs, crime, and lack of education are done away with. Many of them escape and go on to college at UC. Not enough though.

Im no expert on Cincy but I have travelled around it a few times and been to the worst areas. It gives the city a bad name when some of the suburbs are really nice places. Im not taking any sides because the inner city overall has a lot of problems on any side. But im disappointed there isnt enough help to turn it around. I think Cincinnati could have a lot going for it, but not until they find solutions for the inner city folks.

Sadly yes you should be very cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or