U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 AM

94 posts, read 205,581 times

Advertisements

City of Cincinnati - 2008 Crime Statistics (http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/pages/-32698-/ - broken link)
I would suggest looking at the actual crime rates in the area. Get your best un-biased facts here. I am thinking about moving to Price Hill next year. There are still some beautiful streets, with beautiful houses. I already live in Madisonville, and my neighborhood is touted as one of the "dangerous" neighborhoods in the city. The neighborhood is mostly black, and I think that is the #1 reason why Cincinnatians are scared. However, I've only had one "incident" in four years, and it was by a white guy. He thought I had been gone over the week b/c my car wasn't parked in the driveway, and rang my doorbell at 3 in the morning to see if nobody was home. Presumably to break in. However, I feel better knowing he was only willing to break in when I was gone. That said, many of the "diverse" neighborhoods do have issues with petty crimes like this. In all of price hill in 08 there has been 1 murder. In Oakley 1 as well and Oakley is the new yuppie mecca for those who cannot afford Hyde Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,521 times
Wow, haileigh32's response was pretty offensive. Since when do we refer to other people as "trash"? There are very hardworking families in all the poorer neighborhoods of every city. If someone heard you say that they are too lazy to walk up a hill I hope they'd reply that after working a 60 hour week at jobs that pay $8/hr (or less) and taking care of kids, you try walking up the damn hill.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 13,253 times
I was born and raised in Price Hill. I'm only 25, but I will say that in just the short amount of years from being a teenager and walking the streets of Price Hill everyday to what it is now.... I would highly recommend that NO ONE move anywhere between 8th and State to Rapid Run. Yes, there are quiet little streets trickling through the area, but it's not in anyway worth the risk for anyone (Especially if you have kids). Looking for a 2 bdrm, idk if you have a child of not.... But the schools were somewhat bad when I lived there. Now they are horrible. If you want to look for a decent place with a decent school, Covedale is the place to go. The elementary school has the best scores in Cincinnati Public, and is a clean, quiet neighborhood.
Covedale School
Covedale School in West Price Hill
These school are only about 6 or 7 blocks apart. That's not the only difference either. I read A LOT of people on here saying that Price Hill DOESN'T have a high crime rate. In reality, it has over 4x the National average for Robbery Risk, 3x the average for Burglary Risk, and those aren't the only crimes above the National average. (That's just for the zip code 45205, which is the Majority of Price Hill). For the zip code 45204, there is an even higher Robbery Risk that is 5x the National average! On top of that, both zip codes have Rape Risk that is 3x the National average.

***You can see all those stats Here. There is a place at the top of the stats to change the zip code. 45238 is for the area further out of Price Hill and into Delhi and Western Hills. If you notice, 45238 doesn't have nearly the amount of crime that the other 2 have.

So, what you need to ask yourself: Is that one street you are thinking of moving to that is so nice of a street, worth the garbage around it? The way I see it.... You can "clean up" a neighborhood, but if the same people who are committing the crimes stay there.... The neighborhood isn't going to change.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,028,569 times
Price Hill community groups are turning it around. The neighborhood did not decline overnight and it will not rebound overnight. It may take time but PH is making a comeback.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM

77 posts, read 169,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornCincy View Post
I was born and raised in Price Hill. I'm only 25, but I will say that in just the short amount of years from being a teenager and walking the streets of Price Hill everyday to what it is now.... I would highly recommend that NO ONE move anywhere between 8th and State to Rapid Run. Yes, there are quiet little streets trickling through the area, but it's not in anyway worth the risk for anyone (Especially if you have kids). Looking for a 2 bdrm, idk if you have a child of not.... But the schools were somewhat bad when I lived there. Now they are horrible. If you want to look for a decent place with a decent school, Covedale is the place to go. The elementary school has the best scores in Cincinnati Public, and is a clean, quiet neighborhood.
Covedale School
Covedale School in West Price Hill
These school are only about 6 or 7 blocks apart. That's not the only difference either. I read A LOT of people on here saying that Price Hill DOESN'T have a high crime rate. In reality, it has over 4x the National average for Robbery Risk, 3x the average for Burglary Risk, and those aren't the only crimes above the National average. (That's just for the zip code 45205, which is the Majority of Price Hill). For the zip code 45204, there is an even higher Robbery Risk that is 5x the National average! On top of that, both zip codes have Rape Risk that is 3x the National average.

***You can see all those stats Here. There is a place at the top of the stats to change the zip code. 45238 is for the area further out of Price Hill and into Delhi and Western Hills. If you notice, 45238 doesn't have nearly the amount of crime that the other 2 have.

So, what you need to ask yourself: Is that one street you are thinking of moving to that is so nice of a street, worth the garbage around it? The way I see it.... You can "clean up" a neighborhood, but if the same people who are committing the crimes stay there.... The neighborhood isn't going to change.

I don't mean to sound trivial but Covedale is part of West Price Hill.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 14,458 times
I am concerned but unfortunately not surprised that the classist/racist comments I perceive here originate from individuals who appear to not live in East Price Hill. East Price Hill has integrated well as (similar to many older Cincinnati neighborhoods) long-term residents moved to lower maintenance housing in newer outer ring suburbs and rented their homes or sold to rental management companies. As a result housing opportunities for individuals displaced by Hope VI renewal of obsolete project-based subsidized housing opened up, and in the past 10 years African American representation has almost tripled. We also have a respectable Hispanic population, both of which have been generally and broadly accepted by our respectful, demographically-majority Caucasian population. We have only two percent of Hamilton County's total Section 8 housing and our crime indicators are comparable to City averages. We have benefited from City focus programs such as the Neighborhood Enhancement Program and Police Visibility Overtime, our branch library is celebrating its centennial, District 3 police headquarters anchors one end of our 1 mile long Neighborhood Business District (one of the longest contiguous NBDs in the City). We are diverse demographically, ethnically, racially, generationally, economically, socially and spiritually. We have a great Rec Center and pool, host several quality schools and the Cincinnati Christian University. We have many great parks including Mount Echo, Wilson Commons and Glenway Park and unbuilt, natural hillsides that make you wonder if you actually live in a city!

How East Price Hill came to be defined separate from Lower & West Price Hills is mainly a matter of the City determined logical boundaries to assist its administration of the Neighborhood Support Program; most of us don't concern ourselves with that, however. I've never heard of a "car being stripped" outside of movies set in 1970s Bronx, but OK. Hopefully a police report was filed.

To the original poster: please move to our great neighborhood and be part of the solution too many only want others to do the hard work to do and complain about until that happens. There are plenty of resources in East Price Hill to assist you with your housing choice, including Price Hill Will, but I can certainly recommend you contact any of our reputable Realtors (c) in Cincinnati who have experience in East Price Hill. Thank you for considering us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati