U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:39 AM

698 posts, read 1,427,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
CPS - Cincinnati Public Schools. Avoid at all costs.

If I were you, I'd avoid Springdale, Glendale, and Sharonville. They are very nice places, but they are in Princeton school district, and I wouldn't send my kid there.
Disregard this post please. There are good schools in CPS and I'd send my kid to a school in the Princeton SD over Deer Park any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

246 posts, read 882,102 times
Default DP vs. Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Disregard this post please. There are good schools in CPS and I'd send my kid to a school in the Princeton SD over Deer Park any day of the week.
For what it's worth, according to one web site, Deer Park Schools rank 277th (of 769) in the state of Ohio. Princeton City Schools are ranked 412th. See:

Ohio State Districts - OH School District Rankings

Many folks think such rankings are overrated, of course . . . .

Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 PM

698 posts, read 1,427,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
For what it's worth, according to one web site, Deer Park Schools rank 277th (of 769) in the state of Ohio. Princeton City Schools are ranked 412th. See:

Ohio State Districts - OH School District Rankings

Many folks think such rankings are overrated, of course . . . .
I do believe these rankings are overrated. I know for a fact that Princeton HS offers more AP courses than Deer Park, their facilities are far superior to Deer Park's, they have a far greater selection of extra-curricular activities, their athletic programs are some of the most respected in the Tri-State, and that the socio-economic and racial diversity you find in their schools gives you the invaluable chance to interact with kids from ALL walks of life. If you have the right type of support system and take advantage of the opportunities before you, the sky is the limit for any child in this district.

I would only recommend Deer Park SD to somebody who wanted to live in a small district with a blue collar feel to it.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I do believe these rankings are overrated. I know for a fact that Princeton HS offers more AP courses than Deer Park, their facilities are far superior to Deer Park's, they have a far greater selection of extra-curricular activities, their athletic programs are some of the most respected in the Tri-State, and that the socio-economic and racial diversity you find in their schools gives you the invaluable chance to interact with kids from ALL walks of life. If you have the right type of support system and take advantage of the opportunities before you, the sky is the limit for any child in this district.

I would only recommend Deer Park SD to somebody who wanted to live in a small district with a blue collar feel to it.
...which is sort of what I garnered from the OP.

Having lots of AP courses only matters if your kid is AP material. Deer Park is a nice safe, small-town, urban SD.

That's where I went to grade school. Now, I'm not a big fan of Deer Park; I chose to go elsewhere for high school (Mount Notre Dame) for many of the reasons you mention.

But I still would never send my kid to Princeton or CPS.

Disregard my posts if you want. So be it. I may not be a "Cincy Expert" but I've lived here 40 years and I think I know a thing or two.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:29 PM

71 posts, read 196,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper. View Post
CPS - Cincinnati Public Schools. Avoid at all costs.

I ditto the recommendation for Deer Park. I grew up there! The school was horrible then, but sure has turned around. And it is a VERY safe, pleasant, small-town place to live.

I'd add Reading to the list.

If I were you, I'd avoid Springdale, Glendale, and Sharonville. They are very nice places, but they are in Princeton school district, and I wouldn't send my kid there.
Wow, never in the day would I see this posted about Princeton High school.
My step-brothers attended PHS back in the early to middle 80's. Lived in Springdale and be quite frank, it was white as snow in relation to the "so called races".

I took a ride in those areas and there has been huge change since those times when I was a student at Springdale elem.

Would it be safe to say that most of the people who bought and built homes in these communities are some of the ones who have moved to the ever growing areas in Warren Co and Butler Co?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
CPS is on the way up and the magnet schools are as good as any.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,671,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middyDJ View Post
Wow, never in the day would I see this posted about Princeton High school.
My step-brothers attended PHS back in the early to middle 80's. Lived in Springdale and be quite frank, it was white as snow in relation to the "so called races".

I took a ride in those areas and there has been huge change since those times when I was a student at Springdale elem.

Would it be safe to say that most of the people who bought and built homes in these communities are some of the ones who have moved to the ever growing areas in Warren Co and Butler Co?
Yes, that would be a safe thing to say. Princeton High School was "it" when I was in high school. In fact, it's where I went to take my SAT, but that was before they were forced to incorporate other areas into their school district. They have never recovered from that move. It is not the school district you remember. My friend had a very lovely home in the district, but moved because of the experiences her kids had at Princeton High School and Junior High School.

As far as school districts go, please check out the ODE website for the school district ratings. It gives you a very good indication of which school districts are doing the job. I agree that test scores aren't everything, but they are a good measure of how each district is doing with meeting benchmarks. If quality education is a priority with you, as it is with us, pick a district that has an excellent rating or excellent with distinction which is the best you can get. The school district I work at and the one my kids attend both earned the excellent with distinction rating which is quite an accomplishment. CPS got the continuous improvement rating and Princeton got rated effective.

Put in the name of the district you're considering and check out the ratings for yourself:

https://dnet01.ode.state.oh.us/DistrictRatings/Districts.aspx (broken link)

Old 08-31-2008, 08:56 AM

71 posts, read 196,254 times
I would think that a large number of school age children from Lincoln Heights children attend Princeton High school now? I was a kid when I was involved with the district back in the 80's and never got the chance to attend PHS.

Just when did the district allow the children from that suburb to come into their schools?

I was speaking with my cousins child a few years ago before he graduated and he told me how violent it had become at the school with some incidents he witnessed. Now I understand that fights went on even when my step-brother was a student but was it as violent as it was described 20+ years later?

I would be afraid myself to be a student where it would feel unsafe to learn at.

I'm shamed to say this but my own blood sister along with a cousin of mine (they were friends but on different sides of my family tree) had an extreme incident where she bought a knife to school to confront a student in the early 90's at PJHS.

What was shocking is she was raised in a nice home in Springdale back in "80 but something in her life caused her to go wayward. I don't know all the details of what went on. I don't know if she was being bullied or was she bullying. She is of petite stature so it makes me wonder was she victim and was defending herself.

I would have never even conceived an idea to bring a weapon to school in my days of schooling. When I first arrived at school in the district I was not excepted. I was bullied by some of the boys. They would intentionally exclude me from some of their playground activities. I once had a girl in my class tell me she wish i had never come to their school or class. That was a hurtful thing that was said to me.

It makes you wonder what people were teaching there kids at home to show such attitudes like that. At the end of the school year the girl made an apology to me about her previous comment. It did take some of the sting off it.

I will tell you it was tough integrating into that place in those years.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 AM

6 posts, read 8,862 times
Talking Cincy.....on the move!

It's a shame you are looking to move now.....we are having a new home built (a ranch) because I have Parkinson Disease. There are very few l2 storys in this area for a decent price. The area we live in now you could get a nice 2-story, We were actually on a waiting list to even get into this area 20 years ago. We have raised all of our 6 kids here - all married and gone but our 17yr. old. We live in the White Oak area and the public school system (Northwest Local) is really nice. I have lived here (the same house) for 20 years now. The area is convenient to bus lines, many parks, museums, shopping, and any events downtown as well.

Several parks are nearby and within a few minutes you have access to just about every highway - Ronald Reagan/Cross County, I-275, I-75, and more.......within minutes as we are located within 15 minutes of both Kentucky, and Indiana.

If you can wait till the end of March/April you could move right in! I remember when we first bought this - going from a ranch with no basement, the kids literally stacked from floor to ceiling in bunk beds in 2 rooms, and not even an eat-in kitchen! The "kids" (all from 27-33 now & married - except for our 17yr, old) seeing this house for the first time after we had bought it, and one of them asking if we had "won the lottery"!

There are also many wonderfuls churches or other places depending on your faith, of worship. It will be a bit of a drive for us but we love our parish and it;s priests so we plan on attending the same parish,

So, GOOD LUCK! A beautiful city with many amentities will be waiting to welcome you "home". (Would love to see that SOLD sign inn MY yard!) lol!

Blessings,
Debbie

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
Clifton would be a bad choice. I'm living in Clifton now for school and HATE it. It is dirty and unsafe. I can't wait to graduate and move some place safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati