Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 AM

32 posts, read 106,556 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here from Colorado, and I've decided the Mexican food in Colorado must be from different regions in Mexico than that which is found in restaurants in Cincinnati/Dayton area. I am looking for the perfect Chile Relleno and Cheese Enchilada. Rellenos in Colorado are a Chili pepper stuffed with cheese, wrapped in a light dough and deep fried so they are crispy, then smothered in green chile sauce. Cheese enchiladas are a cheddar or cheddar jack, wrapped in a corn tortilla and smothered with enchilada sauce and baked. I typically prefer the little authentic hole in the wall places but can't find anything remotely close to they type of food I am familiar with. Rellenos here are totally different (meat and some are potato?) and the enchiladas seem to have a very unpleasant white cheese. I've tried about 6 places so far. Any suggestions on something that would be more like the Colorado Mexican food? I never thought I would say this... but so far, Abuelo's is the tastiest I've found, and I know it is not authentic!! I've even thought about having relatives ship me Colorado Mexican packed in dry ice!! I supposed I'll eventually have to get used to the differences, but thought I'd see if anyone can come up with something a bit different.... Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:13 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,440 times
Try Javiers at 8th and Walnut, it is a regional mexican place they might know what's up

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
>>Recently moved here from Colorado, and I've decided the Mexican food in Colorado must be from different regions in Mexico than that which is found in restaurants in Cincinnati/Dayton area. <<

I live in Chicago. Everytime I head back home to Cincinnati, my brother will take me to a great restaurant that he is amazed with for some ethnic food. We go to the restaurant and none of it is as good as you can find in Chicago/LA etc. I attribute this to Cincinnati being a smaller market. To survive, a Mexican restaurant in most smaller cities, must compromise to the tastes of the town which is largely Tex-Mex.

In all fairness, I know what you are looking for and I am not sure that I could readily identify a place in Chicago that serves food in that way. It sounds like you are looking for some New Mexican food.

In order to get what you want, it would help if you would talk to the owner/chef and describe what you want. if he is familiar with what you are looking for, he might be happy to do it for you.

Several years ago, in a small town in northern Ontario, I encountered a Sri Lankan couple operating a small Canadian diner. Their menu was a standard lunch counter fare. My cousin and I were talking with them when I blurted out to the lady, "I bet you can make a wicked curry." I could see the couple's eyes light up. The husband answered, "that is MY specialty." They invited us to come back that evening and we had a phenomenal meal of curry.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,803 times
If you are up north in Cincinnati there is El Rancho Grande in Sharonville.

Home

My favorite is Rio Grande in a crappy little strip mall in Newport, Kentucky. The food is very good and service is quick. There is no smoking ban in KY and I am a smoker so I can enjoy an afternoon of margaritas and food without having to go outside all of the time. They have non-smoking as well.

Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant, Newport - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,707 times
Cactus Pear in Clifton (I think they have one in Kenwood, too) has been very good when I've been there. But they bill their stuff as "creative mexican cuisine" so it's probably not what you'd consider authentic.

Rio Grande in Newport, KY (there's also one in Florence) is just a couple minutes over the border. Their food also is good and I think they might have what you're looking for. If nothing else, the serving sizes are enormous and the prices are reasonable. They once whipped out some special salsa for me when I asked if they had some that was hot. My eyebrows spontaneously combusted with the first bite. It was excellent!

Old 12-11-2008, 11:57 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
You are right, the "Mexican" food here in Cincy aint that great. The best that we have, IMO is the El Rancho Grande in Sharonville that another poster already mentioned. It is pretty good and their lunch specials are a good value. The chips and salsa are nice.

G Rizzle

Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Don't forget Taco Casa!! Nothing like a "taco salad" smothered in ranch dressing and cheddar cheese!!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
I also recommend Javier's Downtown. Also, El Rachero (or whatever it's called) in Newport is amazing.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:04 AM

50 posts, read 140,372 times
I was on assignment with my company for 7 months in Cincinnati. I am from Houston, so i have to have my Mexican fix at least once a week. I tried numerous places, and finally gave up on getting Mexican food like we are used to in the Southwest. I am not badmouthing Cincinnati, but the Mexican food is just not the same. Also, Skyline chili is really weird (good but weird by Texas standards). By the way, i loved my time there, and met alot of really nice people. It is a really nice city.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:50 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Hounative,
If you think Cincy Mexican food is bad--don't EVER come to the DC region. Most food here is horrible. I used to go to Margarita's downtown and there is a place in WestChester I used to like, but Tex-Mex is regional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati