U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM

14 posts, read 30,498 times

Advertisements

Along with my wife, I have two boys, one two years old and another due in September. We met in Cincinnati back in 2001, moved to Austin, Tx, in 2002 and currently live in Boulder, Colorado. We don't see this as a place we'd like to raise our family, and are looking at a job (for me) back in Cincinnati.

I haven't really kept up with the rise and fall of neighborhoods, so I'm hoping that y'all can help me out with recommendations of places to live.

Budget: $175k

I would be working downtown, so we'd like to live within bussing distance to work. To put it mildly, I hate the idea of living in West Chester and commuting thirty miles every day.

Safety is a huge thing for us. I lived in Over the Rhine in one of those fancy condos, got held up, had the riots happen, etc. All very unfortunate situations that are fairly random, but I don't want to think about crime. I see some lovely homes in Westwood, but then I hear about it being a hit or miss neighborhood. I've been an urban pioneer - I don't want to do it with children.

I've been looking around a little bit, and here are my perceptions. Tell me how they're wrong:

Anderson Twp, Wyoming, Ft Thomas, Madeira, Sycamore: Great schools, but seem like it would be hard to find something for $175k

Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Mt Lookout: Might be able to find something for $175k, but do I want to mess with CPS?

Westwood, Clifton: I've seen some awesome houses there for great prices, but am I going to have a big low-rent apartment building a couple streets over?

So, let me know what you think. I've been reading this forum for a while now, and really admire the thoughts y'all have about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:38 AM

246 posts, read 882,343 times
Default Consider Deer Park

bobestes, you might consider Deer Park. The schools are pretty good—not quite up to Sycamore or Madeira level, but just one point away from officially being designated “Excellent” by the Ohio Board of Education. My wife and I have been very happy with the schools here. (Interestingly, the arts are pretty strongly stressed here—starting with the primary grades. The various high school bands take home a slew of awards every year, and the school also puts on a local variety show called “Parkers,” which I believe is the longest continually running show of its kind in the county.)

Houses in Deer Park would be well within your budget. The community is a pretty good mix of young families and older folks who’ve lived here for decades. Not a bad mix of professionals/blue collars (though admittedly tending a bit more toward the latter). It’s a walking community with groceries, deli, drug store, hardware store, bank, coffee shop, etc. within 10-minute strolling distance.

You might find most houses to be on the smallish side . . . I think “cozy” is the real estate term . . . . but most streets have nice, big old trees, and the kids are safe playing outside and walking up to the local park.

Deer Park is in the vicinity of Madeira and Pleasant Ridge, which I noticed were on your “looking-at” list. Your commute downtown would be very easy from DP.

The community is a good choice both for folks of moderate means as well as folks who could afford more but choose to live a bit more simply and modestly. No one will be impressed if you tell them you live in Deer Park, but when you pay your mortgage and utility bills each month, you’ll be pleased nonetheless.

Hope this info helps.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 PM

698 posts, read 1,427,770 times
Here's a list of other places around the city you might want to check out...

Springdale
Glendale
Finneytown
Bridgetown
College Hill
Blue Ash
Delhi

Old 08-10-2008, 06:19 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,718 times
downtown, newport, otr, covington, clifton all work

Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,673,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobestes View Post
Along with my wife, I have two boys, one two years old and another due in September. We met in Cincinnati back in 2001, moved to Austin, Tx, in 2002 and currently live in Boulder, Colorado. We don't see this as a place we'd like to raise our family, and are looking at a job (for me) back in Cincinnati.

I haven't really kept up with the rise and fall of neighborhoods, so I'm hoping that y'all can help me out with recommendations of places to live.

Budget: $175k

I would be working downtown, so we'd like to live within bussing distance to work. To put it mildly, I hate the idea of living in West Chester and commuting thirty miles every day.

Safety is a huge thing for us. I lived in Over the Rhine in one of those fancy condos, got held up, had the riots happen, etc. All very unfortunate situations that are fairly random, but I don't want to think about crime. I see some lovely homes in Westwood, but then I hear about it being a hit or miss neighborhood. I've been an urban pioneer - I don't want to do it with children.

I've been looking around a little bit, and here are my perceptions. Tell me how they're wrong:

Anderson Twp, Wyoming, Ft Thomas, Madeira, Sycamore: Great schools, but seem like it would be hard to find something for $175k

I agree with you, great places to live. You might be able to find something in your price range if you look long and hard enough.

Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Mt Lookout: Might be able to find something for $175k, but do I want to mess with CPS

No, you definitely do not want to be in the CPS district if you're concerned about quality education and safety.

Westwood, Clifton: I've seen some awesome houses there for great prices, but am I going to have a big low-rent apartment building a couple streets over?

Yes, and you're going to have to deal with CPS and safety issues again.

So, let me know what you think. I've been reading this forum for a while now, and really admire the thoughts y'all have about the city.
You might consider Loveland. It has excellent schools, a nice hometown feel, a terrific bike trail, it's safe, and you can get a nice home in your price range. BTW, Loveland borders Sycamore and is a couple of miles north of Madeira. Your perceptions are right on target. Trust your gut.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 PM

14 posts, read 26,589 times
Im actually moving to Cincy in a month, and found this thread useful, but had one question.........what exactly does CPS stand for?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM

246 posts, read 882,343 times
Default Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayazflower View Post
Im actually moving to Cincy in a month, and found this thread useful, but had one question.........what exactly does CPS stand for?
CPS = Cincinnati Public Schools

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 PM

13 posts, read 78,777 times
If you live in Mt. Lookout, Hyde Park, and most parts of Oakley the CPS school is Kilgour for K-6 grades. Kilgour is rated excellent by the state so it is on par with suburban schools.

After grade 6 your kids could go to Walnut Hills for free (have to pay if you are in a suburb). Walnut Hills highschool is one of the top ranked high schools in the country (by US News Reports and Newsweek).

Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 PM

120 posts, read 215,019 times
Add Colerain Township to your list as well.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:59 PM

33 posts, read 129,772 times
CPS - Cincinnati Public Schools. Avoid at all costs.

I ditto the recommendation for Deer Park. I grew up there! The school was horrible then, but sure has turned around. And it is a VERY safe, pleasant, small-town place to live.

I'd add Reading to the list.

If I were you, I'd avoid Springdale, Glendale, and Sharonville. They are very nice places, but they are in Princeton school district, and I wouldn't send my kid there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati