Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,836 times

Advertisements

Looking for the differences between Wyoming, Montgomery, and Loveland. All school reports look good, we can see geographically where each is located...looking for the feel of the towns. Good places to live? We have two kids...6 and 8. We are active in sports and have enjoyed both city and suburban/rural life. Where would you pick and why? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 13,762,514 times
My sis, BIL, and four (count 'em) sons have gotten a lot out of Loveland. They, too, are athletically active and enjoy the "suburban/rural" feel of the town. Because my eldest nephew is entering his senior year of high school, and due to his and his next-in-line brother's attending "distant" St Xavier, his parents have reluctantly put their house on the market in order to slightly downsize and/or be situated closer to "X." You may dm me for their address. They purchased their house before it was built, so you'd be looking at a 3-BR with working fireplace, deck, finished basement complete with separate home-office space, and 2 1/2 baths (one full bath being part of the "master bedroom suite") which has been lovingly maintained by the original owners. It's situated on a quiet street with friendly neighbors, is a hop skip n' jump from the middle school, and is just around the corner from a community swim club.

Having said that, I rank Loveland #3 out of your three named school districts. It's well above average, but Sycamore and Wyoming are higher still. My sibs and I were blessed with the superlative academic quality of Wyoming's schools when we grew up, so my Loveland sis "nudged" her sons to take the entrance exams for Moeller and X when the time came since the public alternative was "good, but could be better." Realize, however, that her (and her bro's and sis's) educational standards are exacting - call it elitist if you must, lol. The college-placement record in Loveland is over 90%, the buildings are in excellent condition, etc.

The "feel" of Montgomery leans considerably more toward "suburban" than "rural," while Wyoming is an inner-ring community established in 1874 and has no rural vibe whatsoever. Loveland alone among the three towns can claim that "a river runs through it" - and that river, the Little Miami, is a "national scenic waterway" sought out by canoers and kayakers while bicyclists teem on the bike trail to Waynesville which runs alongside.

Based on my first impressions, Lisa, I'd say Loveland would likely be your top choice if the style of a community means the most. For schools, Wyoming is the place.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM

310 posts, read 1,205,657 times
Default School Advice

Here are a couple of links that may help you more on school information and ratings.

GreatSchools.net

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Hope this helps and good luck on the move!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 PM

Thanks very much - that really helps. We may end up going more suburban but Loveland sounds like it might be right for us.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM

33 posts, read 146,553 times
I'd pick Loveland too. Montgomery is a little "snooty" for my taste.

How about West Chester? Too far north? Lakota Schools are very good, even though it's an enormous district.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:16 PM

West Chester seems a bit far as my husband will be working downtown Cincinnati. Now, since we are from CT any commute will seem like not much probably but that was the thinking.

Are Blue Ash and Montgomery the same? I take it Loveland is different than those two.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM

33 posts, read 146,553 times
Blue Ash and Montgomery are next-door neighbors, and I believe they are both in Sycamore school district. Blue Ash seems a little more middle-class, Montgomery more elite. Blue Ash has a fabulous rec center/pool and some nice summer festivals. I like Blue Ash. I grew up not far from there.

I agree, Westchester is a little far for a downtown commute, but a lot of people there do it. I don't think I'd want to go any farther south than Blue Ash. It's a good central location.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 AM

351 posts, read 1,869,785 times
My vote usually sits firmly in the Priceton City Schools category, promoting Glendale as the place to live. Given what you're considering, I support Wyoming. It's an older community, with large houses in a staid community. The education is good, although note, if it hasn't been raised by others, that you will pay income tax to pay for it.

Woming is a blend of modern ranch and older, Victorian homes. The lots are large and there's a definite community feel to it. Montgomery and Blue Ash, while also nice, are either ranch or newer, modern homes. It all depends what style you're looking for.

Glendale's manager (or whatever the top paid position is) lives in Wyoming. They're comparable communities, near each other, and both with tradition, trees, and a sense of community. Montgomery and Loveland, while having their own history, are still thought to be newer. Montgomery and Blue Ash get tied up in shopping mall traffic... although there are those who say that Wyoming is caught between questionable neighborhoods with awkward access to I-75.

Still, in my heart of hearts, which resembled the east cost more than the midwest (and I'm an overseas expat), I'd advise Wyoming. The schools ARE good, the houses are great, and the sense of community is more managable. (for what it's worth, the long-time president of P&G lives there).

Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,634,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamovestocinci View Post
Looking for the differences between Wyoming, Montgomery, and Loveland. All school reports look good, we can see geographically where each is located...looking for the feel of the towns. Good places to live? We have two kids...6 and 8. We are active in sports and have enjoyed both city and suburban/rural life. Where would you pick and why? Thanks for any input!
I've lived in two out of your three choices and I work in the other one. All three places have schools rated excellent by the state of Ohio. All three are nice, safe, family friendly places to live, and you couldn't go wrong in any one of them.

In Loveland you'd get: more house for your money, that hometown feel, the Little Miami River - it runs right through the town, and the bike path which is lovely. Loveland is a tree city and noted for it's green atmosphere. Loveland is like small town America in the Norman Rockwell paintings - it's charming. If you're into outdoor activities like canoeing, biking, fishing, and sports it's hard to beat Loveland.

Montgomery is suburbia. It has beautiful parks and nice quiet neighborhoods.
The houses cost more because Sycamore School District is considered by many the place to be.

Wyoming has older stately homes and old money. I agree with the description of inner ring suburb. There are neighborhoods to its north and south that are less desirable.

Based on what you've stated here, I'd go with Loveland.

(Glendale is lovely, but Princeton Schools are not in the same league as your other three choices. Check out the stats for yourself.)

Welcome back!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 AM

254 posts, read 980,073 times
I live in Montgomery, and I would say living here or in Blue Ash, gives you a better school district. Now Loveland Schools are rated high, but Sycamore and Wyoming are rated better. As far as housing goes, you will get more for your buck in order of Loveland, Montgomery, and Wyoming. I disagree that Montgomery is snooty. I lived in the City of Cinti in Roselawn for years, and my neighbors in Montgomery are so much more down to earth, and helpful than any neighbors I had in the city. Glendale is a great community, but I would not choose Princeton Schools. I would check out the links below.
http://www.cincybusinessmag.com/medi.../RTB-top47.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati