U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 AM

46 posts, read 171,202 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone...I got help from this thread back in January when I was moving to Cincy area from Chicago, and now I'm back!

When I moved here from Chicago with my husband and 6 yr old daughter we ended up in Southgate, KY - near Newport. We ended up there solely because it's close to my job (I work downtown near Fountain Square). I have to say the drive is awesome - you can't beat 15 min worst possible commute time, 10 min on an average day. I also like my apt; it has a nice spacious layout.

But besides those couple things - I despise everything else about living on the Kentucky side of the river. I despise the high taxes to register your car, the higher gas prices, the fact that to do anything in NoKY you have to go all the way to Florence, and the police here are terrible about racial profiling. So, we are looking to move over to the Ohio side of the river. Any ideas?

I love Mason and Westchester areas, but it's just too far. Some places I'm targeting right now are possibly Anderson area - Fox Chase North, Village of Coldstream, Arbors of Anderson - but I don't know how I feel about being black and living on the east side area. I'm also thinking about Blue Ash, Montgomery, Mt. Adams, and Wyoming. We will be renting an apt because we are not ready to buy in the Cincy area yet. So, I need some advice! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,667,768 times
I wouldn't go with Mt. Adams if I had a child. It's in Cincinnati Public Schools. It's very close to downtown, it's hip and beautiful, but it isn't very kid-centered.

I live in Montgomery and would highly recommend it or Blue Ash. You not only get an excellent school district, Sycamore, you also get a very nice quality of life. I have two parks and one nature preserve within walking distance of my house and I can walk at any time of the day with no fear.

I used to live in Wyoming and I liked it there, but it didn't have the same vibe. It was an old money type of place and wasn't as diverse and welcoming as where I am now. They do have excellent schools though. Best wishes!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM

21 posts, read 66,506 times
I can say that Forest Hills Schools (in Anderson) are great, and your rent wouldn't be bad there, either. I work there and have quite a few friends who live there. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM

Yea, I think Mt Adams would be cool, but not practical with a kid. I forgot to mention that...schools are very important to us! And we would like to be able to get into a good public school district as opposed to paying for private schooling.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
Since you're talking short-term (2-5 years?) a "community" worth looking into is Williamsburg of Cincinnati. It's a self-contained apartment/townhouse complex on the Wyoming/Valleydale (Springfield Township) border, a gated development since its construction in the late '60s before such things were well known. The buildings show their vintage but not their age - the maintenance is impeccable. Although predominantly White, there's a relaxed social atmosphere within which no eyebrows are raised at the AA, interracial, and "other minority" households in residence. Kids would be enrolled in the Cincinnati school district; the complex isn't too far of a walk from the Hartwell elementary school but it'd be along busy Galbraith Rd. There also would be the option of enrolling them in the second-to-none Wyoming schools, but there'd likely be tuition charged. A Walgreen's and a big Kroger supermarket are located along Vine St within a mile, and there's direct access to I-75 from Galbraith Rd from an interchange not far east.

The Montgomery/Blue Ash area has a much wider range of rental housing options, from the new "Olde Montgomery" development in the center of that town to complexes arrayed along I-275 and Cornell, Glendale-Milford, and Hunt Rd's. The Sycamore public schools - which serve both communities - are also among the highest-regarded in Greater Cincinnati. Welcoming? Probably. Diverse? I'm not so sure. What passes for a pan-Asian community in the Tri-State area is centered there and around Fairfield and West Chester, but Hispanics are essentially non-existent. AA households aren't much in evidence outside of a tiny nook within Blue Ash which is its historically Black enclave.

There are also numerous apartment clusters in Sharonville, Evendale, and Springdale, suburban cities served by the regional Princeton schools. Though only Springdale has an appreciable number of non-White residents, children from each of the three towns (out of six) are in the same district and attend the same middle and high schools. The educational quality is a notch below that of Sycamore and Wyoming, but as is the case with any urban system when you know who to talk to and what programs are best your offspring can do quite well. The district's area is south of 275 and mostly west of I-75, except for portions of Evendale and Sharonville.

A bit farther west is Forest Park, by far the most "diverse" city in that area as well as in the OKI Tri-State. The population is roughly 65-70% Black, and the concentration of money (middle and some upper-middle income) as well as culture is such that some AME, Baptist, etc churches have settled there as well. A long-established funeral home based in Walnut Hills and with a branch in Lockland has opened another location on one of the city's main arteries, Winton Rd. Many folks tired of Wyoming's notorious (but overstated) snobbery, White and Black alike, choose Forest Park along with families who've "arrived" and are seeking more upscale surroundings than those of much of Woodlawn and Lincoln Hts. For apartment options, there's a range of possibilities from the past-peak (and now Section 8?) Forest Park Apartments on the southeast side of town to circa-2000 balconied "townhomes" strung along - and perpendicular to - West Kemper Rd. The public schools, in a combined district with "historically White" Greenhills, maintain above-average ranking status and are roughly par with Princeton.

Someone who posted in a thread a while back told of being the head of the first AA household on a street in Anderson Twp, and of how some folks went out of their way to be cordial in the way that people do when they've overcompensating for how they really feel. That part of the region is "lily White" to the extent that a Jewish family was put through a lot of changes when their cultural identity became widely known: hate graffiti sprayed on their house, other vandalism, shunning of the kids, and so on. The style of homes, whether an apartment development or single-family subdivision, is dated and "suburban bland" - not unlike many of the other cities and towns along 275 but lacking in ethnic mix and social tolerance. Unless one or both heads of the household is employed at one of the regional malls or at the airport, from which they'd be no farther than a quick drive on that expressway, IMHO there's nothing to shout about where Anderson and vicinity are concerned.

Stepping into the original poster's shoes as best I can, my city/town ranking is as follows:

1. Blue Ash
2. Forest Park
3. Wyoming
4. Montgomery
5. Springdale
6. Sharonville
7. Evendale

Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM

52,622 posts, read 75,451,274 times
Default What about neighborhoods like...............

the Winton Woods area, College Hill, Norwood or the Princeton area? Are there areas that have good schools and that are at least somewhat diverse? What about the Colerain, Finneytown and Indian Hill areas?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM

697 posts, read 1,426,768 times
Look into somewhere within the Princeton SD, there are an abundance of affordable apartments and townhomes and you'll only be around 20 minutes from downtown. The schools are the most diverse in the Tr-State area hands down and although it doesn't show in the test scores, the education along with the extracirriculars are on par with some of the best school districts in the area.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 178,855 times
I'm also new to cincy and my family has really enjoyed our home in Finneytown and I hear the SD is pretty good. From Finneytown you can get to North college hill, college, Mt. healthy, Forest park, Springdale in less than 10 min. This area has lots to offer good shopping malls,grocery stores, eatries, parks, and a diverse of friendly people (I cant say enough about this area...it's great). Welcome and good luck on your move.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 AM

Yes, I do love the Forest Park area...we go to church out that way. I also hear good things about Springfield Township. It just feels far from downtown to me. I also wonder about the quality of apts in those areas...but I'm going to do some looking and may post back with names complexes and try to get the scoop on them. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM

69 posts, read 178,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilliams77 View Post
Yes, I do love the Forest Park area...we go to church out that way. I also hear good things about Springfield Township. It just feels far from downtown to me. I also wonder about the quality of apts in those areas...but I'm going to do some looking and may post back with names complexes and try to get the scoop on them. Thanks everyone!
Check out apartmentratings.com that' a pretty good website for comments and ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or