U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
MLI MLI started this thread

5 posts, read 10,817 times

Advertisements

Hello. New member here.

We're looking to relocate in the next 12 months or so from the west Chicago suburbs and have identified Cincinnati as one place we'd like to investigate. I grew up in Northeast Ohio but haven't spent much time in Cincinnati. We like it (on paper) due to the milder climate (but four seasons), hub airport, low cost of living index and access to cultural activities. Our intent is to move one more time then stay put for the next 15 years or so while we get our kids through school.

We're headed to Cincinnati over Memorial Day weekend to start our reconnaissance. Hoping the kind folks on this board will give us some suggestions on where to look. Here's what we have in mind:

We are looking for a house on five+ acres within a 30 minute drive of downtown Cincinnati. Zoning must allow animals (e.g. a horse). But we don't want to, and probably can't afford to, live in a "horse neighborhood" like parts of New Albany in Columbus, for example. More likely we're looking for a place in / near a small town that's within a quick highway drive to downtown. Budget for this is about $300-350K.

Additional items:

Schools should be good (or good enough) and oriented toward college prep
Retail / groceries should be within a couple of miles
Agricultural use zoning / taxes a plus
Closer rather than farther away from CVG or as a distant second DAY would be a plus too (I travel for work)

If you're familiar with Columbus, where I lived for most of the 90s, I think the analog to what we're looking for is maybe London, Granville or maybe some parts of Delaware County (not sure what that looks like any more). These are basically self-contained small towns that have easy access to a a fairly good sized city. Though Granville in particular is a little farther than 30 mins to downtown Columbus. You get the point, though.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM

351 posts, read 1,685,567 times
You should get responses to the real estate question, but something to keep in mind is that flights out of Dayton have usually been considerably cheaper than out of CVG, even if you then fly back to/through CVG. If cost is a consideration, you may want to consider this.

If not, then you may want to consider No. Ky (for CVG) or around the Dayton environs. If you end up somewhere between the two, you'll have problems finds land in your price range, although you'll likely get better schools. You'll also find the frustrations of commuting in either direction to the airport, having placed yourself right between both. You may prefer to live near one or the other, and even with the additional transit time rebaording through CVG (if you pick DAY), you're not having to deal with traffic and parking.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,579,354 times
Echoing what Wastina said, in order to be closer to a cheaper airport...ie. Dayton...you're going to be outside a 30-minute commute to downtown Cincinnati. Dayton's airport is north of their downtown, along I-70. Anything remotely close to there with the available land you're seeking would be too far away from the heart of Cincinnati. You really wouldn't be within a 30-minute drive of Cincy until you get down to around the Monroe area. Along with that, even within the relatively short distance between Dayton and Cincinnati there is a noticeable difference in the winter weather, where Dayton (particularly along and north of I-70) receives much more snow and ice than Cincinnati, even though Cincinnati is only 50 miles to the south.

The thing is, in light of the particular criteria you're presenting us with, there are extremely few and narrow options within the tri-state area for you to consider. There simply aren't many places in this part of the state which will give you the same feel as London or Granville and meet your criteria. So you may have to make a concession here or there. Most of the areas you would be looking for are simply not close to either airport, and likewise not within a 30-minute drive of DT Cincinnati. Ideally, you'd be searching for a place like Waynesville, Lebanon, Oxford, Those places are the only towns that would generally offer what you're looking for - but as I said, they're also more than 30-minutes away from the airport and downtown.

Another option would be Harrison, out along the Indiana border. It's close to the interstate, making for an easy drive to the airport, and it's still within a 30-minute drive of downtown Cincinnati. I suppose the schools are decent out there...not sure.

Blanchester is a possibility, but again you'd be farther than 30-minutes to the airport and downtown.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:47 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,931,493 times
The equine Mecca called Kentucky may offer some possibilities within an hour of CVG, perhaps closer, in Owen or Carroll or Gallatin Counties or even in western Boone County. The latter location might, in fact, be too close to the airport lol. But the price range you're quoting in tandem with school-quality criteria hasn't been seen closer to Cincinnati for a half-century or more. Indian Hill prior to WWII would've met your specs perfectly.

Have you ruled Lexington in, or out, yet? Lexington is of course the world capital of horsedom, and is a good bit more cosmopolitan than it gets credit for. It's not all about UK sports and Keeneland. The city and county governments are regionalized into one, making for well-run services. The public schools do a decent job, and for serious preppies and/or anxious parents there's the private Sayre School. Amazingly (to me), the area doesn't have that bad of a sprawl problem although there's increasing "subdivision creep" in all directions. Cast an eye northward from there toward the areas surrounding Frankfort, Georgetown, and Paris. That's where you might stand a chance of snagging a building lot - maybe even an existing and suitable home - for under half a mil. Interstates 64 and 75 make for a less-than-two-hour drive to the downtowns of Louisville and Cincinnati. CVG, being in northern Kentucky, could conceivably be reached within roughly sixty minutes (with the help of a lead foot and no patrols, lol.) IBM has been kind to Lexington, though less of late, and the presence of the commonwealth's flagship university guarantees that plenty of employers which feed off brainpower and research $$$ are there and not going anywhere. UK itself, of course, is also a major job source in the region. Transylvania (so love the name) and Kentucky State Universities add to the academic presence thereabouts, along with Georgetown and other colleges.

I've always held a place in my heart for Lexington. Its small-town feel (despite being an "urban county" of over 250,000 people) and "northernmost Deep South" vibe are good for the spirit. Folks know how to be friendly, the COL is a dream compared to the East and West Coasts or Chicago or even Cincinnati, and the mountains - as well as idyllic getaway spots like Shakertown at Pleasant Hill - are a short hop down the road. Bluegrass Field will never be mistaken for an airline hub, hahahahaha, but in addition to Comedy Air ("that's not funny") there are a few direct flights that don't call for a layover in Cincinnati or Atlanta.

Add Lexington to your Labor Day itinerary. (I assume that's what you meant to write, rather than Memorial Day. No worries, '08 has been flyin' by for me too.) Who knows, six months from now you all might be crowded into Rupp Arena wearing blue face paint and screaming, "Go 'cats!" Meanwhile, your horse(s) will be snoozing in the stable after another sanguine day grazing in the bluegrass.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM

310 posts, read 1,059,878 times
Default Relocation Cincinnati

I agree with most of the previous posts. In Ohio you could consider Warren and Clinton counties. In Northern Kentucky, you may find land in Boone county but most likely will have to go further south to Grant county.

Here are a couple of links that may help you with school information.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Community for Parents

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Good luck on the move!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

32 posts, read 93,343 times
Can anyone provide info on Waynesville? We've looked at new construction there off of Lytle and Twin Creek but aren't sure we are ready to commit to that area yet. Is it way to far north of the Cincinnati area that it would be a deterrent to possible resale? No children at home, we travel a lot for business. How far is that area from the airport (CVG)? Since this is a newer area, the addresses don't come up when I try to Mapquest them to anything. Any thoughts on this area in general would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

3,750 posts, read 10,203,909 times
Kelcolo -

Re: waynesville -- I live just South of there (in Lebanon) - I do not think its location would be a large deterrant to resale, however you do have a different pool of buyers in that area than in Cinci. Someone who wants an easy commute to downtown Cinci is probably not considering Waynesville unless they have other priorities more important than commute time (like land, horses, etc..)

However someone who only needs to commute to Mason, or Montgomery, or WestChester, or Monroe, or Wilmington --- they would have very little issue with Waynesville.

CVG is actually in Kentucky, so Waynesville would probably be a solid hour to an hour and a half away (in good traffic!). CVG is not that convenient to the Northern suburbs, but you learn the times it takes and just make allowances.

Waynesville is a small, QUAINT town. Smaller than where we moved to (Lebanon), which is somewhat hard to imagine. However - not that far from suburban shopping (Mason, and/or Centerville) if those are the places you like to shop. Larger parcels of land available through private sellers or custom builders, as well as larger tract-developments (1+ acres, as opposed to 0.2 acre).

Beautiful - near Ceaser Creek park, the little Miami.

Just depends on where your working and how the area will work for you...

Good luck to both you and the original poster!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM

120 posts, read 214,951 times
I am going to suggest Colerain Township. The schools are pretty good overall.

Here are a few listing that are over 5 acres (no guarantee of a barn) that are within your price range. You will have to check zoning for horses. And no, I am not a Realtor, but maybe someday...

http://www.starone.com/displaylist.a...3977&mls=cincy

http://www.starone.com/displaylist.a...0952&mls=cincy

http://www.starone.com/displaylist.a...0713&mls=cincy

http://www.starone.com/displaylist.a...9546&mls=cincy

Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 PM

33 posts, read 129,718 times
Waynesville is a beautiful place, great for raising a family, but absolutely horrible when it comes to easy commuting if you require highway access. Takes at least 20 min. just to get to I-71.

BUT "if you build it they will come." I'm betting that eventually they'll build a connector.

I live in Clearcreek Twp. near Springboro - we have 1.5 acres and our zoning does allow livestock; we have chickens. Actually many places around us will allow horses, but not other kinds of livestock. You should have no trouble finding 5 acres in Clearcreek and Turtlecreek Twps., though they may be a bit farther out than you'd like. It takes about 45 min. to get to downtown Cincy from my house, and I'm located pretty near 75. That stretch between Franklin and Union Center takes forever.

You might also have some luck on the outskirts of Hamilton, Trenton, Monroe.

East of Cincinnati is still kind of open too - I'm not as familiar with areas like Batavia, Mt. Carmel, Milford, etc. but you could look there and you might find some affordable acreage, too.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM

32 posts, read 93,343 times
Thanks for the recent replies. We haven't taken the Waynesville home off the list yet! We are looking for 2+ acres but the problem is that we really want a wooded secluded lot and are having problems finding that with a newer, updated, gourmet kitchen type home. Seems like they are all on open lots. We've searched from Kentucky to Indiana the past few months and have driven past just about everything that comes up on the MLS! The Waynesville home has everything we want but is a very open lot without trees. Maybe we can come up with some trees to plant that grow super fast!!! Waynesville has a really cute original downtown area, and although our children are grown, I searched the Ohio department of education, and the schools have been rated excellent for the past 5 years (good for resale if necessary).

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati