U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM

8 posts, read 15,337 times

Advertisements

We relocated to the NKY/Cinci area last year for career purposes. We currently rent in NKY and are looking to buy a home on the Cinci side. I am stunned by the amount of subdivisions (especially in NKY). I am trying to like this area, but coming from mountains, lakes, rivers and lots of personal space I am having a hard time. Are there areas on the Cinci side where there are small towns with homes on the outskirts, backyards with woods (not a clump of trees in a row of cookie cutter houses)? We currently live in "my hell", a subdivision with no trees, no privacy, and noisy. Please tell me there is more to this area than I have seen thus far. Also the music scene is very strange, I came from going to the Mountain Jam at Hunter Mountain NY or going to NYC Beacon theatre shows, Montage Mountain in PA or way back in the day Madison Square Garden for Dead Shows. We saw Gov't Mule in Covington last summer and the venue was horrible, filled with smoke (cigarette) extremely crowded and no seating, I had never left a show early, that night was the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:24 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,840,089 times
Have you checked Mount Adams in Cincinnati? Great rolling hills, in an urban setting.

Mt Adams Today

Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 PM

21 posts, read 66,541 times
Welcome!

I don't know TONS about the more rural areas around Cincinnati (I'm all about the city life!), but....I work in Anderson Township, and some parts of Anderson seem to fit what you're looking for, plus the schools are great. When I'm driving to work I sometimes forget I'm in Cincinnati. Now don't get me wrong...there are plenty of subdivisions *shudder* in Anderson....but there are some gorgeous old homes on quiet hillsides, too. You might just have to get a few miles further out from the city to find what you're looking for.

Music...can't help you on the smoke issue if you're out in KY. But I can tell you that Riverbend is great for outdoor live shows, and there are lots of great live bands in Mt. Adams and Mt. Lookout on the weekends as well as at Party in the Park/Party at Sawyer Point (Wednesdays in the summer right by the river). There's also the Midpoint Music Festival (Sept. 25th-27th this year), so you just have to look around to find what you're going for.

Good luck!!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,365,082 times
Traveler87 is being funny. If you want personal space, don't move to Mt. Adams. It's likely the most congested neighborhood in the city.

You don't say how much you can spend when you buy, but check out eastern Clermont or Warren counties, western Butler county, or Brown County in Ohio. They're rapidly becoming subdivision-ified (??), but there's still wooded acreage to be had. If you want to stay in Kentucky, you'll find more open space to the south and east of the metro area.

As for music, my personal haunt used to be the Southgate House, but that's in Newport and smoking likely will never be banned in Kentucky. I just take a shower when I get home.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info Ohiogirl. NKY seems to be filled with subdivisions. We are going to take a drive on the east side, Batavia area, hopefully we will see something that suites our taste. We are looking for a home in the 200K range. Speaking of music I do LOVE WNKU..great public radio station, better than NY!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM

I am from NY so your sarcasm is appreciated!

Cheers

Old 08-20-2008, 07:09 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,217,616 times
warren county still has a good bit of less populated areas with lots of hills/trees and the miami-river valley. From what I've seen of Clermont and Brown counties - they do as well. It depends of course on where you're commuting to -- but from where I am (Lebanon, in Warren County) its about 45 minutes to downtown in moderate-heavy traffic (no actual traffic stops). In good traffic, its a little less.

The city of cinci is wonderful, and there are some areas (mt. airy, northside, - probably others) where houses on city streets back to nature preserves and are quite forested. But you would still likely have houses on either side and across, so not quite as spacious as you may be used to.

Easiest place to get forested acreage will be the ex-urbs -- those "burbs" beyond the burbs ... i.e. small farming communities about 35-50 miles from the city center.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,131 times
I live in Burlington, KY (yes a subdivision) but not like other but if you drive around there and Hebron and Petersburg you definately have lots of land to choose from. I'm too new here also to tell you any more though sorry. I'm a Jersey Girl...don't start with the smell joke either! LOL! I agree about the smoke though, it sucks, I wish they would ban smoking in places.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM

MurrayHillPrep

What part of Jersey are you from, or as we say what exit? I grew up in Bergen County NJ, moved to NYS for 10 years..so I am a Jersey girl too! One of the issues I have with subdivisions is, the lack of trees/privacy. I am not used to being able to see several other backyards as clear as day! We are looking on the Cinci side, there are many subdivisions there as well however there are more choices of non subdivision homes available. The downside to Cinci is the higher cost of living but we will deal with it if nothing else, my sanity..and the fact my husband is tired of the constant comments.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,581,598 times
Dead serious when I say this - and I know some people are going to smack me for doing it, buttttt.....

Western section of Green Township and/or Delhi Township, and generally the western sections of Hamilton County, period. Perhaps out toward the Cleves area, or Ross in Butler County. Dead serious. Maybe not so much for the music scene, but for the space and woodsy feel you're seeking. Yes, there are subdivisions all over the area, but the ones in the west seem to be a bit more "integrated" into the environment.

Aside from that, you really have to take the time and do a MAJOR drive throughout the entire area, including the side roads you wouldn't normally consider. Because that's where you'll find the type of home and land you're looking for. Just the other day I was out perusing some roads in Liberty Township/West Chester (no, they aren't all cookie cutter subdivisions out here despite what people think) and I was amazed at some of the homes and scenery I was encountering. I hadn't been familiar with it, so you DO have to weave in and out of areas to find the jewels. As with most everything else in the Cincinnati area, there are many "pockets" of what you're looking for.

I can't speak for the music scene, unless you check out Oxford. That's another cool option you could check on. My brother lives up there, so I do know it's got LOTS of what you'd be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati