U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,860,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
cincy -rise probably just works there so is never there after dark thank god! what character rich neighborhood do you reside in???
Works where? I showed pictures from many neighborhoods. Be more specific.

I live a stones throw from OTR and a 5 minute walk to the CBD ... btw, I love it and have experienced an extremely safe time here. I also never get bored with my cultural, character filled environment.

What about you? Btw, the "just works there, but lives somewhere else" is just silly and doesn't make any sense. Poor argument.

Last edited by Cincy-Rise; 08-27-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,589,942 times
Aside from the architecture where you live, Cincy-Rise, what gives your particular environment "character". Describe that for me, and tell me what it is about the culture you like.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Aside from the architecture where you live, Cincy-Rise, what gives your particular environment "character". Describe that for me, and tell me what it is about the culture you like.
The nightlife, blacks, asians, whites, indians, christianity, muslim, judaism, atheist, agnostics, rich, poor, middle-class, walking anywhere, catching the metro anywhere, walking to Bengals games, walking to Reds games, walking to work, walking to theaters (all kinds), walking to asian food, indian food, mexican food, korean food, japanese food. Walking past 150 year-old structures, wondering what history is to be told about it. Walking to an amazing park system, where sand volley ball, and tennis courts await me. Walking out my front door and flagging a taxi down within minutes. Going to restaurants that have deep family roots. Shopping at old historic market areas. Living amongst structures that were built by European hands. Going from pubs to clubs to lounges to restaurants -all within minutes from each other. Admiring browstones, and red brick row houses. Looking out my window, only to see the amazing art-deco Carew, Music Hall, Union Center, and OTR in the same view.

My brother in-law and I ate at Skyline on Ludlow one day and we decided to sit near the window. I promise you, every single nationality and religion walked by that window. That's where I want to be.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM

My gosh, man, why aren't you in New York?

Thanks for the response. I can appreciate what you said. But I still think that your definition of "character" and "culture" isn't necessarily what everyone else wants. So in that respect, saying that Florence has "zero character" is simply a matter of personal opinion and not necessarily a "truth" per se.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I can appreciate what you said. But I still think that your definition of "character" and "culture" isn't necessarily what everyone else wants.
Never said it was.

Quote:
So in that respect, saying that Florence has "zero character" is simply a matter of personal opinion and not necessarily a "truth" per se.
Again, I ask ... for the 10th time ... please show or even suggest what part of Florence does have character. Aquila, I've spent time responding to every question you've sent my way, but you cannot even spend 5 seconds answering my question above.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Again, I ask ... for the 10th time ... please show or even suggest what part of Florence does have character. Aquila, I've spent time responding to every question you've sent my way, but you cannot even spend 5 seconds answering my question above.
I've already responded to your questions in the manner in which I see fit. You don't seem to understand that I've simply been trying to ascertain what your definition of "character" is - and up until post #23, you were missing what I was saying. I'm not in this discussion to post examples of Florence's character. If it makes you happy, I could drive down to Florence and interview some residents to get their personal opinions about what they like in Florence, and what elements of "character" they see there. I can take my camera along, too. Is that what you are expecting of me? Because frankly, you could do that yourself and save me the gas that would be expended in my little quest to provide you with the information you seek. You're a lot closer to Florence than I am. And I'm pretty sure that whatever examples I posted, you'd find fault in them somehow. Now if I'm wrong, I apologize. But somehow I think that's how it would be. I've witnessed enough sneering attitudes toward the suburbs from people, and I frankly don't feel like defending them anymore.

This whole discussion with you started when you said Florence has "zero character", to which I simply told the OP that it was a matter of personal opinion. Basically, I thought your comment was uncalled for because the OP was asking for examples of positives in the area....things to do, what is close to the area, perks about living there, etc. So I stated that simply because some people (ie. you) think it has zero-character, that doesn't necessarily make it true. In other words, the OP might find it DOES have character, so why not post a list of positives about the area instead of running it down like you did? My gosh, Cincy-Rise - this is city-data.com, NOT urbanohio.com. Just because it's outside the Cincinnati core, that does NOT mean it's a bad place and lacks character!! I'm truly sorry you can't see that. You simply came back at me and said if I disagreed with you, I should post examples. But to heck with that.....it's not even the point I was trying to make.

YOU'RE the one who felt the need to post photos of what you define as "character", but they were simply photos of buildings. The point I was trying to make is that "character" is so much more than the architectural styles you find in an area. Frankly, I don't have any examples of character in Florence, because I don't live there. I'm simply stating that to some people I'm sure Florence does have character. Period. THAT was my contribution to this thread. I'm not going to add more simply because YOU want examples. Go look for them yourself. You might be surprised at how much character there is outside the Cincinnati urban core.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 PM

I believe FLorence has ZERO character and I believe you think Florence has ZERO character and I think you and any resident residing in Florence would have a hell of a time trying to convince me or anyone else otherwise or coming up with "personal examples."

End of discussion. You've wasted a lot of both of our time. It's is a fake wanna-be auto centered, poor-planned, anti-pedestrian area filled with big national chains and made up of mostly white people that all think the same. Blah, blah, blah ...

Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM

710 posts, read 2,656,510 times
That is character

Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM

295 posts, read 816,321 times
Let me type this real slow so people can understand what I am trying to say.

Be proud of your neighborhood. Brag about it. If you can't do this, I seriously believe you should move. Just don't put down other communities trying to make yours look better. You don't have to do that. Cincinnati and it's suburbs can hold it's own, trust me, without all the nastiness of putting down other places.

You know, I wish that ignorance wasn't so widespread. If it wasn't so widespread, we could corner it and beat it. But we can't corner it because it is so widespread. Ignorance is everywhere. In the biggest city and the smallest hamlet in this great nation that we call home. And it's also here, in a thread on an internet message board.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I believe FLorence has ZERO character and I believe you think Florence has ZERO character and I think you and any resident residing in Florence would have a hell of a time trying to convince me or anyone else otherwise or coming up with "personal examples."

End of discussion. You've wasted a lot of both of our time. It's is a fake wanna-be auto centered, poor-planned, anti-pedestrian area filled with big national chains and made up of mostly white people that all think the same. Blah, blah, blah ...
Florence is STILL a city, and this is city-data.com - NOT urbanohio.com, so I would really appreciate it if you and certain other people would keep your snobbish attitudes over there, and stop making the rest of us feel inferior because we don't live up to YOUR ideals about what makes a neighborhood special.

And yes, damn it, I'm PROUD to say I live in the suburbs!

Last edited by aquila; 08-31-2008 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati