U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 30,237 times

Advertisements

A panorama of Swifton taken from a nearby park, circa 1955. From a couple of slides my father shot.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/Swifton-Panorama.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 PM

289 posts, read 1,317,980 times
Default Really nice shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t View Post
A panorama of Swifton taken from a nearby park, circa 1955. From a couple of slides my father shot.
It looks like he was facing west, maybe from Roselawn Park, looking down Seymour. That seems to be the old Crest Hills CC to the right, with its big crumbling clubhouse. Looks like Woodward near the upper middle. Is the shopping center not yet built?

Thanks a million for posting. Got any more of the area?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Here are some close-ups. Can anyone identify the group of building to the right of the school? I may have some photos taken at the finished mall. Construction is just beginning here.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/rswif.jpg (broken link)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/lswif.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Glen Manor

Quote:
Here are some close-ups. Can anyone identify the group of building to the right of the school? I may have some photos taken at the finished mall. Construction is just beginning here.
The buildings to the right of Woodward look like Glen Manor. In the distance down Seymour are some older buildings that look like they are part of Longview.

From the depth of field, it looks like your father had the lens stopped way down. It must have been really bright outside.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Here are a few pictures from the Swifton Shopping Center circa 1957 to 1959.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/swifton-2.jpg (broken link)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/swifton-4.jpg (broken link)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/swifton-3.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
The buildings to the right of Woodward look like Glen Manor.
Can't say whether that complex was once known as Glen Manor, but the street leading into the development was and is Glenmeadow Lane. Today the buildings are called Glenmeadow Apartments. I've unoriginally dubbed them "Glenghetto" because two homicides there have made it into the papers this year alone.

That Rollman's photo is CLASSIC.
More, please! More! More!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Default On second thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Can't say whether that complex was once known as Glen Manor, but the street leading into the development was and is Glenmeadow Lane.
From what I've seen on a couple of sites on the internet, it looks like Glen Manor was further south along Glenmeadow. The apartments in the picture look like they are at the north end of Glenmeadow, just off of Seymour. So I'll back off the claim that they are Glen Manor.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 AM

I don't know what to say about the Rollman's photo except that my father was experimenting with night photography during that period. Pretty funny. Too bad he didn't get shots of every store front.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,553,425 times
Quote:

Is that Woodward High School from back in the day? Wow! Those photo's are great! I went to Woodward back in the early '70's. I remember we had district 4 policemen patrolling the hallways of the schools back then. My family had moved to Swifton apartments from Williamsburg, Ohio (Clermont County)...man the culture shock was a lot to take. I wasn't used to such a big school and fights would break out in the hallways of the school cause race riots were happening pretty regularly at that time. I remember I was actually scared at school due to all the violence and so forth.

The school I went to in Williamsburg was all white and Woodward in the early '70's was at least half black. I remember there was a large Jewish population at the time as well and they mostly seemed to live in Roselawn. I have fond memories of Roselawn Park...I used to go there to hang out with my friends a lot and we would swing on the swing-set.

The early '70's were the days of students smoking pot on the lawn at Woodward. Hey...things were changing around Cinci...sort of an innocence lost. Sheesh...that was a lifetime ago!

Last edited by sparksharp; 06-10-2011 at 03:49 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 PM

This photo may be a little off-topic. It is a detail from a larger panoramic view as seen from the 500-block of W. North Bend Road, looking into the valley toward Seymour Ave, I think, though I don't recognize any of the landmarks. Around 1959 probably.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/newsolidmodel/North-Bend.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati