U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating for a Federal Government job to Cincinnati in October. I would like to find a nice rental home for my two children and myself. I'm looking to rent something up to $2000 per month, with a very good high school and a very safe quiet neighborhood. Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 03:27 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
Iowa, where's that?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:08 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,944,114 times
C-R, they grow some of the meanest toughest wrestlers in the world out there, so ya better be careful of what you say and how you say it. LOL!

But seriously, folks, I'm going to hype my native Cincy suburb called Wyoming as the best of numerous good bets for the TO. Its high school is perenially #1 in Ohio for academics, and much like most of the South and rural Midwest the only place to be on Friday nights during the fall is the football game.

"Faith communities" are well represented: St James of the Valley for Catholics, a large Christian Science church (as well as a "reading room" on Wyoming Ave), Presbyterian and Baptist and Episcopalian congregations with houses of worship built in the 1800's, the Valley Temple for Reform Jews, and the relocated-from-Lockland Friendship Methodist Church. A UU church stands in nearby Springfield Township along Fleming Rd. Lutherans in Greater Cincinnati are few and far between, and the "megachurches" of the area are principally clustered along Interstates. If you belong to an AA church, Bethel AME in Lockland and Zion Baptist in Woodlawn - among others - are close at hand.

Wyoming belies its reputation as an insular and affluent village not only in the diversity of its population but also in the affordability of some of its housing. The expansive "Heritage" apartment building and the "Fleming House" townhouse cluster, both built at right angles to Springfield Pike circa 1970, are the most visible rental properties. Many "brick box" and other styles of two- and four-family houses are interspersed with small businesses and single-family homes along the entire length of "the Pike." Particularly in the northern and southern reaches of the community, some duplex and four-unit houses are tucked into side-street neighborhoods. Goyguy's parents began their married life in a brick-box 4-family on Durrell Ave which still stands, immaculately kept, alongside a couple of its "clones" amidst everything from lil' brick Capes to "estate houses." A sought-after address for young and "senior" singles and small families is a group of 2.5-story turn-of-the-20th-Century brick dwellings with sheltered balconies which is smack-dab in the middle of everything (relatively speaking, lol.) From the corner it occupies, Worthington Ave and the Pike, you're literally across the street from the Civic Center and St James of the Valley. The Wyoming Middle School's playground is directly behind, the library a short block up the Pike along with a small retail district (breakfast-and-lunch cafe, dry cleaners, beauty salon.) Closest to the high school would be the Fleming House, older apartment houses along the Pike, and a couple of big multi-unit buildings on otherwise upper-middle-class Wentworth Ave. Burns Ave also contains some apartment homes, but its area east of the high school is part of Wyoming's once de jure and now de facto AA neighborhood. (This has a lot to do with why the school was relocated in the '70s from what's now the Middle School.) It's every bit as nice and safe as the whole rest of the village, solidly middle-class except in some parts flanking the railroad tracks bordering Lockland, and no longer unlived in by Whites just as the streets of Goyguy's childhood and adolescence have now seen some Hispanic and AA households move in. But the memories - and attitudes - of some die hard.

Enough about my hometown, here are some others that deserve a close look: Montgomery and Blue Ash (in the also-top-ranked Sycamore school district); Springdale, Sharonville, Evendale (better-than-average Princeton district); Reading; Finneytown; Fairfield; Greenhills and Forest Park (average-if-not-better Winton Woods schools); Anderson Township (top-ranked Forest Hills school system, with two high schools, but suburban in all the bad ways as well as good); the Oak Hills district west of Cincinnati; and Mason and West Chester (Lakota schools for the latter.) Yep, the choices are many. I didn't even mention Cincinnati's own stellar Walnut Hills High, or any place in Northern Kentucky 'cause I admittedly know least about what's "across the river" in my native region. Each and every one of the locales named contain rental properties, in duplexes and brick boxes and 21st-Century apartment/condo "townhome" complexes alike. If the latter home style suits your fancy, look toward the Sycamore, Princeton, Forest Hills, and Lakota districts - and West Chester, Finneytown, and Fairfield.

Go Gophers, I mean Hawkeyes ;-)

Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM

710 posts, read 2,650,858 times
Mariemont is your best bet

Old 08-31-2008, 07:52 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,680,612 times
If your top priority is a quality school district choose one that is rated excellent or excellent with distinction by the Ohio Dept. of Education.

On the link I've posted below, simply fill in the name of the school district the house you are considering renting is located in and it will tell you what the school district is rated. As an example, Blue Ash and Montgomery are in the Sycamore School District, when you enter that you'll see the district is rated excellent with distinction - the top rating possible.

https://dnet01.ode.state.oh.us/DistrictRatings/Districts.aspx (broken link)

Welcome to town and best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati