Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Um..I lived in Fairfield for 5 years right by Jungle Jims and I wouldnt give it THAT much credit.
And as far as Goyguys statements, I have to say I agree with a lot he said. Now I will say I do understand where you are coming from too because this is the beast called PERCEPTION. I dont like the perception the City has and you dont like the perception the suburbanites have. Wouldnt it be nice if we could all just get along?
Well, I'm not sure what "credit" you infer I'm giving to Jungle Jim's, as I really believe the little bit I said about it is very true. I used to live very close by, and still live close to it in West Chester. The times I've been there...any and ALL times...I've never once feared that my wallet (or a woman's purse) would be snatched. I've never been afraid to park my car far from the entrance and make the walk. I've never witnessed anything remotely criminal going on inside or out that would make a vendor want to carry a gun. I'm simply stating the truth, whereas Goyguy was the one stating a misperception, and it's exactly what I confronted in his comment. I specifically stated he doesn't know the suburbanites as much as he thinks if he's going to make us all out to be paranoid of venturing inside the I-275 loop.

Yes, it would be nice if we could all get along, but it seems like the Cincinnatians rip West Chester and the other suburbs to shreds a heck of a lot more than the suburbanites rip apart Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM

204 posts, read 745,118 times
I am going to say, again, I have been going to Findlay Market for many years {since I was a child, actually ~ and I am no spring chicken}. I have never felt unsafe. It is really few and far between that someone has had their purse snatched or been robbed at gun point while shopping at the market. You hear the stories, but do you actually know of anyone, personally, that this has happened to?

The vendors seem to be making money, and they aren't getting robbed on a regular basis. Otherwise, they wouldn't stay in business.

I know it doesn't matter to some of you, but on a nice day, I will venture to walk into the "neighborhood from H ~ E ~ double hockey sticks", and I come out unscathed..., with some fabulous produce, quality meat, a nice lunch and many other interesting things you can't find anywhere else in the city.

Some people find beauty, where others dare not go.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
The times I've been there...any and ALL times...I've never once feared that my wallet (or a woman's purse) would be snatched. I've never been afraid to park my car far from the entrance and make the walk. I've never witnessed anything remotely criminal going on inside or out that would make a vendor want to carry a gun.
The same can be said for me and Findlay Market.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I am going to say, again, I have been going to Findlay Market for many years {since I was a child, actually ~ and I am no spring chicken}. I have never felt unsafe. It is really few and far between that someone has had their purse snatched or been robbed at gun point while shopping at the market. You hear the stories, but do you actually know of anyone, personally, that this has happened to?

The vendors seem to be making money, and they aren't getting robbed on a regular basis. Otherwise, they wouldn't stay in business.

I know it doesn't matter to some of you, but on a nice day, I will venture to walk into the "neighborhood from H ~ E ~ double hockey sticks", and I come out unscathed..., with some fabulous produce, quality meat, a nice lunch and many other interesting things you can't find anywhere else in the city.

Some people find beauty, where others dare not go.
Very good response and right on.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
aquila, I grew up in west chester. I dont have a problem with west chester but you also couldnt pay me to live there either, but you probably feel the same way about the City. And if a woman can go down to OTR or anywhere downtown by herself, without a gun, anyone can. People seem to want to focus on the bad, and forget any of the good. I have been physically attacked before, not in the City but in North college hill. Never in Cincinnati and never at F. Market. I guess that is why I cant understand why people think the City is so bad, to me its just my home and a place I love living in. But I dont want to get into a debate about the City on this thread, it takes away from F. Market and what a great place it really is. I hope you and everyone else here is able to experience it personally and understand where I am coming from. And dont forget to stop at Silverglades & Aunt Floras for some yummy treats to take home.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:28 PM

Hartwell Girl,

Aunt Flora's has closed.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
You know what, I wondered why there was no one there last month. Someone told me her lease was up and she was looking for a bigger spot. I also heard she opened a restaurant serving soul food, I will just have to look into that and check that place out. Lord, I may get beaten at Thanksgiving if I dont bring her cobbler to share with family...ugh!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
aquila, I grew up in west chester. I dont have a problem with west chester but you also couldnt pay me to live there either, but you probably feel the same way about the City. And if a woman can go down to OTR or anywhere downtown by herself, without a gun, anyone can. People seem to want to focus on the bad, and forget any of the good. I have been physically attacked before, not in the City but in North college hill. Never in Cincinnati and never at F. Market. I guess that is why I cant understand why people think the City is so bad, to me its just my home and a place I love living in. But I dont want to get into a debate about the City on this thread, it takes away from F. Market and what a great place it really is. I hope you and everyone else here is able to experience it personally and understand where I am coming from. And dont forget to stop at Silverglades & Aunt Floras for some yummy treats to take home.
Let's take a step back for a moment. In no way am I trying to attack Cincinnati or Findlay Market. My initial post in this thread was simply to correct Goyguy's misperception about suburbanites. That's all. I don't like blanket statements that people make about others. I don't fit under that blanket. So in response to Goyguy, I stated we are NOT all paranoid about venturing inside the I-275 loop, and there ARE some of us who don't like the raping of land that has taken place out here. How can that statement even remotely be considered negative toward Cincinnati? I'm MORE than willing to venture inside the loop, as well as go downtown.

The rest of my post was in direct response to the following comments made by Goyguy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyguy
The OTR area around there is definitely not to be ventured into. Race and West Elder are the best streets to park on; drive around the block until you can score a space near the market. There's a reason the marketplace isn't open after dark, and why so many buildings are prettied up for gentrification but still standing empty. It's just plain dangerous. Mrs Goyguy Sr's purse was grabbed inside the market building a few years ago. Like any good city person, her son included, she refused to stop going because of that but no longer makes the trip alone. Not long after the incident occurred, she was talking with one of the market's butchers about it when he remarked, "It can get crazy sometimes. We all carry guns here." But the bad guys win only when the good guys give up. Legions of Findlay fans have no thought of giving up. I'd put the risk of a purse-snatching in a mall parking lot higher than what Findlay Market poses.
Note the blue highlights. HE is the one that brought up all the negative comments about OTR and FM. So I addressed them in comparison to what I've experienced at Jungle Jim's - which is nothing like the blue highlighted areas in the quote above.

I try to see all the good in Cincinnati, and in fact I DO see it. I lived in Oakley before moving to West Chester, and then my move out here was because I basically had no choice due to financial constraints. (I don't live in a rich area of WC, by the way. It's NOT all wealthy cookie-cutter subdivisions out here, as I'm sure YOU know - but apparently others DON'T know that.) I had to move in with a family member for a while, and since that time I've simply remained out here in WC because I can't afford to move at this time. However, I'm likewise proud to say I live here. But that doesn't mean all I do is attack Cincinnati.

And you are quite wrong about my attitude regarding whether someone could pay me to live in Cincinnati. I'd move back to Cincinnati, sure. I'd move DOWNTOWN, if I could. But I can't. Yet you wouldn't move back to West Chester. Sad that the sentiments don't go both ways.

The interesting thing about all this is NOT ONCE do I get an apology from anyone for the misperceptions they hurl my way about being a suburbanite living in West Chester, yet they all want me to bow down backwards and kiss their butts in their defense of Cincinnati.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
The same can be said for me and Findlay Market.
And I think that's great!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You know what, I wondered why there was no one there last month. Someone told me her lease was up and she was looking for a bigger spot. I also heard she opened a restaurant serving soul food, I will just have to look into that and check that place out. Lord, I may get beaten at Thanksgiving if I dont bring her cobbler to share with family...ugh!

Apparently, someone in her family has opened a soul food restaurant on Court Street. She was supposed to open something on the westside, but I haven't heard anything concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati