U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,214,580 times

Advertisements

I think Duke Energy is really working overtime. So glad they have reinforcements here and they are working hard. We just got power and my cable came on this afternoon. Yea..I missed my City-Date and my emailing.
We are just north of Cinci and there are trees down everywhere. We headed to IN for ice and gas which worked out well.
I think people really need to check on neighbors. We have two neighbors who have breaks in their lines going into their home so they are still out of power. This is the time to check on older neighbors and make sure they have what they need.
This has made me realize I need a battery powered radio. We had plenty of water and food. We lost everything in the frig and freezer but that is alright. I was thankful for working bathrooms and water from the tap.
Watching tree almost sideways was quite a sight!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 AM

31,201 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Glad you're OK!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I think Duke Energy is really working overtime. So glad they have reinforcements here and they are working hard. We just got power and my cable came on this afternoon. Yea..I missed my City-Date and my emailing.
Isn't it amazing how much we miss the internet when it's not available? There are times when I don't want to have anything to do with it, but the past few days I missed not being able to come in here and check for new messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I was thankful for working bathrooms and water from the tap.
Boy isn't that the truth. It really puts things into perspective when you realize what they are going through in Texas.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM

It made me realize I wasn't fully prepared for something like this. I will be next time. I didn't get my Internet back until Tuesday night and I realized how much time I spend on the Internet and really TV for that matter. I got a lot of little projects done without the TV I think I will limit my watching a little better. I read two books while it was out. I love to read but watching is easier but the reading uses more of your imagination.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Boy isn't that the truth. It really puts things into perspective when you realize what they are going through in Texas.
Or out in the rural areas of Warren, Butler, Clermont etc. counties; without electricity, the pump won't deliver water from the well. It'll probably be another few days for those people.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Or out in the rural areas of Warren, Butler, Clermont etc. counties; without electricity, the pump won't deliver water from the well. It'll probably be another few days for those people.
That is very true. And I feel for them. I just think by and large, in the grand scheme of things, this wind storm was an inconvenience for us - not a castastrophe. Yes, there was damage and some were hurt or killed. Very sad. But people get killed in lesser storms around here, too. And yes, some people lost the food in their fridge and didn't have much in the way of non-perishables to eat. But they still had some food. I read in the paper that one woman was complaining because she had to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for 3 days. But compared to some people in the world, that would be a feast. So as a whole, we got a little "owwie" compared to the "broken bones and bloody faces" of Texas.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 AM

^^^I read that article, too -- if you get a chance, the online comments were pretty hilarious. The loss of a few hundred bucks worth of food and three days' worth of peanut butter sandwiches is nothing compared to having your house swept into the gulf. It's nice to see some perspective here, if not in the Enquirer.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 AM

267 posts, read 593,105 times
people in the rural area in colerain are still with outpower.. til sunday
mine came back on tues which i was glad felt like i was camping

Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 PM

Here it is Friday and my neighbors just got power back. They never compained all week. The family across the street just got hooked up also today. We all went out and thanked the workers. I know they are really working hard and long. I can't believe there were places where people flipped them off and yelled at them. Good grief they are doing the best they can.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:29 PM

My thoughts exactly. It's not like the Duke crews are all superhuman. They said from the very start that they were going to focus on priority areas....places such as hospitals, nursing homes, city services such as fire and police stations, businesses, schools, etc....and THEN the individual homes and streets would be last. They said it could take up to a week to restore power. Don't people listen? I had my power turned back on Tuesday...not sure why it was so fast, and I'm grateful for that. Maybe I'm on a grid with some critical businesses or the WC police station, I don't know. But I do sympathize with the people who still don't have any power. However, even if I still didn't have mine restored right now, I wouldn't be attacking Duke crews and acting as if death and destruction had rained down on Cincinnati. People need to SERIOUSLY get a grip and recognize all the blessings and conveniences they have in this country. If something REALLY major were to happen, there's no way they'd make it. There would be all-out anarchy in this nation. It's bad enough that people around Cincinnati gripe, pee, bi*** and moan whenever we get a piddly inch of snow. I honestly wish the whole lot of them would move their butts to Florida.

When you can't even appreciate that you actually have peanut butter and jelly - even for 3 days straight - but instead you act as if you're dying, then God have mercy on this country because no doubt there are countless hundreds of millions of people on this planet that would gladly kick us out so they could have even ONE day of PB&J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or