U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,486,447 times

Advertisements

UC is awesome. It is a public school so compared to other college, it is a good deal (but still a lot of money). Hopefully you have investigated scholarships, grants, etc.

Parking can be had there if you dont mind walking a little bit. I parked on Riddle or a small road right off of it, RiddleView for 4 years. Walked right down to the college of business. DAAP is right there too. Free parking and since its in residential neighborhood with slightly high traffic you have a better chance of not having your car broken into.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes View Post
UC has worked real hard the last couple of years to work on the crime aspect. It's a urban campus... you're going to have a urban atmosphere. The lighting at night has improved drastically and police patrol has stepped up as well. Crime rates have decreased over the past few years and it's only going to get better. The university is putting a lot of money into the surrounding neighborhoods, which in turn raises property values, which increases rent which pushes out low-income crime problems. This school once was a commuter college in a bad neighborhood but is quickly turning into a college campus. Just don't live on the east side of campus, by short vine!

and tuition is right at $9,500 for the year for in-state tuition. Not sure about out of state.
Great post!

I'm not a student, but I'm in Clifton A LOT and I can vouch for the effort put out by UC in regards to the surrounding areas. Actually, I'm a little jealous and regret not enrolling to UC now a little.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 AM

30 posts, read 88,770 times
Wow I didnt know that the crime is high around UC area.

One quick question though, Which university is better for Master's Degree in enginnering? OSU or UC? I know OSU would probably be better but I wanted to know how is UC compared to OSU. Does the degree from UC has same value as OSU?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyprad View Post
Wow I didnt know that the crime is high around UC area.

One quick question though, Which university is better for Master's Degree in enginnering? OSU or UC? I know OSU would probably be better but I wanted to know how is UC compared to OSU. Does the degree from UC has same value as OSU?
Well once again i'm biased. I think your GPA is more important then what school. I got my masters from UC and have never gotten any negative feedback because of that. I think its more about the person / job candidate and less about what institution they went to. UC is a better value, thats for sure.

G Man

Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 AM

Well I used to think the same, but I have experienced that top companies prefer to hire students from big/well known schools. GPA is secondary (As long as you have more than 3.3).

Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 AM

18,053 posts, read 13,262,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Im really looking into this school, it has the major i want, (urban development), but i've heard its really expensive, and im not that rich, (i've spent it all on gas money!!). Whats the campus like? Is it worth the money? If anyone has info that would be great!
UC is not expensive by any stretch of the imagination. Unlike Miami, you'll have real professors teaching better than 90% of your classes, and that includes first year intro classes.

I was a junior at Miami taking a 4th year class taught be an 8th grade teacher who didn't even have a master's, which is one of the reasons I left their junky education program. The overwhelming majority of classes weren't even taught by professors, and for that kind of money, I'd expect more.

The campus is average, nothing really special about it, but if you can live at home, you probably should to save money, if you can't there's plenty of cheap housing off-campus and on-campus housing is a good bargain.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyprad View Post
Well I used to think the same, but I have experienced that top companies prefer to hire students from big/well known schools. GPA is secondary (As long as you have more than 3.3).
Well i disagree with your point in total. Also, i definately dont think and have never heard that OSU is a more well known school then UC. I think both are respected and have never felt or heard that OSU is a more respected institution. Once again, i think its all about the individual. If you are going to make it happen it doesnt really matter where you go.

G Man

Old 10-03-2008, 07:00 PM

In my opinion OSU is much much better university compared to UC. OSU is rated as one of the top university for technical degree (not that I believe in rating). But I have personally experienced that HR prefer to select students from well known universities. For eg.. when I did a co-op at GE, almost 80-90% of the students (out of about 100 co-ops) were from biggest engineering Universities like Verginia tech, University of florida, University of Michigan ann arbor, Penn state, Purdue. Not that they had very good GPA. I used to think I was fortunate to get that oppurtunity esp being from average university like CSU.

I know what you mean, but esp if you are applying for co-op or full time job in a big/top companies little far away from your state then its going to be real hard. Probabaly working for a company in the same city as school, would be a different story.

Tha's my 2 cents.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
how much does it cost to get in

Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,371,704 times
I guess I will have to throw my two cents in. I am a 1962 graduate of UC Engineering - Mechanical Major. Unless it has totally gone to pot, which I doubt, UC's Engineering college outweighs OSU hands-down. I had a cousin go to OSU Engineering on a Navy Scholarship. We called it the Candy Kindergarden-College due to the light-weight nature of the curriculum. I had courses at UC which they had never even heard of. OSU may be known for something other than the football team, but it certainly is not Engineering.

Now, in all deference to the current times, I am not sure which has become more bloated - the universities or the government. To me they have marched hand-in-hand professing their own worth. I appreciate what my college education gave me as a start in my business career, but it was just that a start.

The current cost of a college education is a monkey around the neck of everyone participating.

Some of the remarks about big well known schools amuse me. In my day, graduates of Miami's economic curriruclum were well thought of, simply due to the grounded approach of their instructors.

Well, we have just completed an election, and I believe the free and easy access to money for an education is about to dry up.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: clazrify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or