Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,984,630 times

Advertisements

Im really looking into this school, it has the major i want, (urban development), but i've heard its really expensive, and im not that rich, (i've spent it all on gas money!!). Whats the campus like? Is it worth the money? If anyone has info that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 PM

28 posts, read 83,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Im really looking into this school, it has the major i want, (urban development), but i've heard its really expensive, and im not that rich, (i've spent it all on gas money!!). Whats the campus like? Is it worth the money? If anyone has info that would be great!

You can get the exact cost on their website but Honestly they are not that expensive in comparison to other colleges. The campus is spread out and there is no parking anywhere. And the surrounding neighborhood is bad real bad there is a shooting there everyday. But I enjoy UC a lot during the day campus life is vibrant. If you are short on money consider loans and grants and include the cost of a dorm. I would not recomend living near campus (on campus is good) If you are going to drive you deffinately have to consider the cost of a parking garage pass you will never find a place on the street. The campus is on the metro route and there are some good neighboorhoods 15 minutes from campus on the line too. Good luck

Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 PM

40 posts, read 133,099 times
I don't know what haileigh32 is talking about. I go to UC and I have never had to buy a parking pass. If you are going to the Main Campus, there is plenty of parking especially if you get there early (before 10am).

I wouldn't consider UC's main campus spread out. What campus are you comparing it to haileigh32? Have you been to OSU or MIAMI?

I actually like the fact that UC is in an urban environment rather than a sheltered college town like other universities. Crime is one of the tradeoffs, but it is not nearly as bad as haileigh32 would like you to believe. There is not a shooting everyday. The only area around campus that I would avoid at night is the area around Short Vine (the small stretch of vine st to the west of Jefferson).

I believe the program you are interested in is part of DAAP, which may have a different tuition than the college of Arts and Science. go to uc.edu to find out.

good luck

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM

thanks fluorescent. is there any kind of scholarships to look for?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM

40 posts, read 133,099 times
If you want to save the most money. I would suggest you start at Cincinnati State, which is not far from UC and then finish your last 2 years at UC. They have a partnership program ( Cincinnati State UC Pathways Program (http://cincinnatistate.edu/FutureStudent/Cincinnati+State+UC+Pathways+Program.htm - broken link) )

that allows youto get a $2,100 scholarship. Cincinnati State is also much cheaper than UC. I know people who have taken this same path for Urban Planning, but if you plan on taking that route talk to advisors at both UC and Cincinnati State to make sure you are taking the right classes.

I don't know your situation and I am not a guidance couselor, so there may be better options out there for you. I just thought I would help because UC is not the most helpful when it comes to answering questions (lots of red tape). Go to UC and talk to an advisor. If you are not in the area call 513-556-1100 and they should be able to direct you to the right person.

good luck

Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 AM

28 posts, read 83,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluorescent View Post
I don't know what haileigh32 is talking about. I go to UC and I have never had to buy a parking pass. If you are going to the Main Campus, there is plenty of parking especially if you get there early (before 10am).

I wouldn't consider UC's main campus spread out. What campus are you comparing it to haileigh32? Have you been to OSU or MIAMI?

I actually like the fact that UC is in an urban environment rather than a sheltered college town like other universities. Crime is one of the tradeoffs, but it is not nearly as bad as haileigh32 would like you to believe. There is not a shooting everyday. The only area around campus that I would avoid at night is the area around Short Vine (the small stretch of vine st to the west of Jefferson).

I believe the program you are interested in is part of DAAP, which may have a different tuition than the college of Arts and Science. go to uc.edu to find out.

good luck
Let me guess you don't even go out at night because yes crime is bad my cousin was murdered two years ago leaving the mad frog and my best friend was raped leaving a late night class. One of my english class mates was robbed a gun point in the parking garage. I could keep going but I don't want to

I have been late to or even missed several classes due to the lack of parking on the street and not having any money to park in a lot or garage (because my mommy and daddy don't pay for my school), and seeing how it's obvious that this poster has to work as well it's just plain stupid to think they will get to school before 10am everyday I sure the hell couldn't.

I think everyone is looking for something different in a college and I gave my opinion, and I think it's wrong to talk something up just for the sake of doing so.

Yes actually I have attended college at Miami, Xavier, Cincinnati State and UC and if you would of read my original post you would of seen that despite everything I just said I still like UC the best but a honest question deserves an honest answer.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM

thanks ill look into it fluorescent. haileigh, i believe you, its tough loosing family members and i can understand your frustration. ill keep those facts in mind aswell

Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 34,041 times
UC has worked real hard the last couple of years to work on the crime aspect. It's a urban campus... you're going to have a urban atmosphere. The lighting at night has improved drastically and police patrol has stepped up as well. Crime rates have decreased over the past few years and it's only going to get better. The university is putting a lot of money into the surrounding neighborhoods, which in turn raises property values, which increases rent which pushes out low-income crime problems. This school once was a commuter college in a bad neighborhood but is quickly turning into a college campus. Just don't live on the east side of campus, by short vine!

and tuition is right at $9,500 for the year for in-state tuition. Not sure about out of state.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Vision-Quest. Just like most states, it takes a year to get residency in Ohio. But there is a lot you can do in that year. Get based in Cincy. It has a lot to offer. I am sure you have checked into this. What other schools are you interested in?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM

just a good football school, and one of the "66" colleges with urban development, which narrows it down quite a bit. Right now my family doenst have alot of money so im going to need all the scholarship funds i can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: