U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM

77 posts, read 169,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Its not really about me though is it. I do seem to have a skepticism about EPH but I did say some nice things about the view properties on a couple of threads. And, I have actually been to Price Hill recently, although like most clear thinking persons I limit my incursion into the village of the damned (sarc.) to daylight hours.

I used to be enthralled with woodwork and architectural detail too. Now I think of neighborhoods in a holistic sense. Price Hill does not fare well as a whole.

I've been meaning to ask you a question though. On that restoration in Fairmont in your photo gallery, why did you do all the outside painting and carpentry but not the concrete walkways. When I used to do this stuff, we always did the messy stuff first. Seems like its backwards to finish the outside and then do the walks that require excavation right against the finished painting. Just wondering.
What the heck were you doing in Price Hill? Could you explain in more specific terms your holistic neighborhood philosophy? And why do always generalize when giving you opinion of Price Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,030,859 times
Quote:
I am encouraged by your statement that you are only "thinking about" buying a house in East Price Hill as opposed to your saying that you already bought a house there. Haven't we explored this topic enough that a search of the forum would yield endless testimonials to the effect that East Price Hill is neither safe nor charming? Its an ugly, dirty, dangerous place with high crime,and low income. Perhaps the worst neighborhood in Cincinnati. Name a worse one. I can't think what it might be.

The East Price Hill Improvement Association is enormously successful because there is so much to improve in EPH. Look, if I lived there I'd probably be real active too, trying to improve my miserable neighborhood. But, why make a plan that includes EPH? You want a roommate in EPH? Ask yourself, why would anyone choose to live there?
Worse neighborhoods are Avondale (south), Bond Hill, OTR and parts of Evanston and Walnut Hills ( west).

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,461,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Worse neighborhoods are Avondale (south), Bond Hill, OTR and parts of Evanston and Walnut Hills ( west).
Of course, "worse" is an adjective of opinion, but I doubt many people would agree with you. In fact, the Bond Hill folks will probably think you may never have been to Bond Hill.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Of course, "worse" is an adjective of opinion, but I doubt many people would agree with you. In fact, the Bond Hill folks will probably think you may never have been to Bond Hill.
Yes we have been through it and some parts of it seemed to be pretty rough. We may have only seen the tougher parts of Bond Hill when we rode through it . I'm not saying there are no decent parts in BH( I am sure there are) but I am going by what I have seen. What I was trying to say East Price Hill is not the worse neighborhood in Cincy but I do agree it is not among the best either. Improvements are being made there but it still has a long way to go.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM

Its interesting. South Avondale has a lot of really spectacular houses. Turrets and intricate woodwork and curved glass windows and wine cellers and all kinds of stuff. More than anything I've seen in EPH. And, you don't see the blight and inappropriate structures in Avondale like there is in EPH. There is a criminal element there in SA and its not really safe unless you are at least a couple blocks from Reading Road. But there are some really great houses.

Of course, OTR has parts that are like EPH, with derelicts on the corner and lots of vacant buildings. But, as a neighborhood, it has amenities that make it far more desirable than EPH. Its walking distance to downtown and the riverfront. Music Hall and Findlay Market are sitused there, and great restaurants like Tuckers and Iris and Alabama Fish and Ollies, etc.

I think both Avondale and OTR are easily superior to EPH.

Most of Evanston is truly middle class, so I'm not sure why you would include Evanston. Maybe the intersection of Woodburn and Montgomery is pretty rough. But 10 blocks up the street at woodburn and Madison there is probably more $$ in recent improvements that all of EPH has had in the last 10 years.

As for Walnut Hills, there is no basis at all. I'd live in most of Walnut Hills and I have a low tolerance for thugs and hoopties

Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Yes EPH is so horrible that Kroger just recently built a brand spanking new store right in the middle of the neighborhood.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Ok, Ok. Don't let it ever be said that I won't admit it when I'm wrong. EPH is a better neighborhood than Avondale. I hope it goes great and you get all the public improvements you want. If we have to squander tax money, it might as well be in EPH.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Its interesting. South Avondale has a lot of really spectacular houses. Turrets and intricate woodwork and curved glass windows and wine cellers and all kinds of stuff. More than anything I've seen in EPH. And, you don't see the blight and inappropriate structures in Avondale like there is in EPH. There is a criminal element there in SA and its not really safe unless you are at least a couple blocks from Reading Road. But there are some really great houses.

Of course, OTR has parts that are like EPH, with derelicts on the corner and lots of vacant buildings. But, as a neighborhood, it has amenities that make it far more desirable than EPH. Its walking distance to downtown and the riverfront. Music Hall and Findlay Market are sitused there, and great restaurants like Tuckers and Iris and Alabama Fish and Ollies, etc.

I think both Avondale and OTR are easily superior to EPH.

Most of Evanston is truly middle class, so I'm not sure why you would include Evanston. Maybe the intersection of Woodburn and Montgomery is pretty rough. But 10 blocks up the street at woodburn and Madison there is probably more $$ in recent improvements that all of EPH has had in the last 10 years.

As for Walnut Hills, there is no basis at all. I'd live in most of Walnut Hills and I have a low tolerance for thugs and hoopties
I do agree that that Avondale ( south) ,Evanston and Walnut Hills (west) do have some of the most beautiful housing stock and OTR is pretty interesting looking. I do hope that that those areas will make a comeback and be revived some day soon. I do see the potential in them. As far as EPH is concerned I hope it will continue to improve. As far as the thugs and hoopties are concerned ( I echo your feelings - I don't have a high tolerance for them either, they destroy every neighborhood they move into) they are everywhere nowadays and have spread into the suburbs , exurbs and even into small towns and rural areas.

Last edited by otters21; 12-02-2009 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Ok, Ok. Don't let it ever be said that I won't admit it when I'm wrong. EPH is a better neighborhood than Avondale. I hope it goes great and you get all the public improvements you want. If we have to squander tax money, it might as well be in EPH.
Well maybe you can request that none of your city, state or federal taxes should be squandered on EPH

Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM

279 posts, read 576,704 times
Send it on over to my neighborhood Madisonville...we can use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati