Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times

Advertisements

Perhaps there is a more appropriate place for this, but I am asking for help from my friends in the Cincinnati area.

DS #1 was recently laid off when his firm did some downsizing. While his last position had him mostly creating construction documents, he is also very experienced in computerized visualization of buildings and products. He is currently working in a computer repair shop (full time hours, part time (no) benefits) to try to keep up on bills and living expenses, but he is getting discouraged because he hasn’t even received a “Thanks for your interest, but we currently have no openings” response from any of the resumes he has sent out (not even the shelf stocker at one of the big box department stores).

If anyone out there knows of anything in the architecture field (he has a BA in Architecture and 11 years experience), computer modeling, graphic design, or even landscape or construction photography in the Metro Cincinnati area, I would be happy to send you the link to his web site (so you can see his work) if you DM me. While his hope is to find a full time position, he is willing to do free-lance work to help pay the bills.

He doesn't know I am posting this. I'm just a parent trying to help a son.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Perhaps there is a more appropriate place for this, but I am asking for help from my friends in the Cincinnati area.

DS #1 was recently laid off when his firm did some downsizing. While his last position had him mostly creating construction documents, he is also very experienced in computerized visualization of buildings and products. He is currently working in a computer repair shop (full time hours, part time (no) benefits) to try to keep up on bills and living expenses, but he is getting discouraged because he hasn’t even received a “Thanks for your interest, but we currently have no openings” response from any of the resumes he has sent out (not even the shelf stocker at one of the big box department stores).

If anyone out there knows of anything in the architecture field (he has a BA in Architecture and 11 years experience), computer modeling, graphic design, or even landscape or construction photography in the Metro Cincinnati area, I would be happy to send you the link to his web site (so you can see his work) if you DM me. While his hope is to find a full time position, he is willing to do free-lance work to help pay the bills.

He doesn't know I am posting this. I'm just a parent trying to help a son.

Thanks for your help.
You are a good parent and approaching this the right way.

Gone are the days when you can just send out a resume with sterling qualifications (like your son's) and expect a response. The Internet has ended that. Now, personnel placement firms seeking fees send out tens of thousands of resumes of qualified and unqualified persons alike to every conceivable employer so that if a person is hired, they can say that it was their firm who first sent the resume, hold out their hand palm up and wait for the money. These fees are not insignificant at 2-3 months gross wages. Accordingly, the HR department at some architecture firm may get 10,000 resumes a month. That's the problem.

Your approach, to identify some specific firm or business through a contact and then get in touch with a real person is the way to go. Feel free to DM me a link and I'll see what I can do. I'm sure you know that the design firms are suffering the worst in the construction industry, but people are still being hired here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati