Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 PM

62 posts, read 298,162 times

Advertisements

Fiancee and I are newish (under 2 years) residents of Cincinnati. We finally got around to visiting Findlay Market recently and are sad to confess we were a little disappointed.

Where is everyone? The nearby smallish parking lot was kind of crowded, but we were still able to get a space fairly easily. We've driven past the market before, and were impressed by the surrounding architecture. Of course, like most areas of the city, there were plenty of run-down structures in the surrounding area.

Imagine our surprise when we realized that most of the neat row-home buildings that flank the promenade are empty. Huh? They're all painted up, with attractive flowers in well-maintained boxes -- but that doesn't disguise the fact that they're vacant (maybe from a distance it does).

What a disappointment. We expected a bustling market full of special stuff you can't really get anywhere else, and instead, we found a hot (air conditioning was broken), smallish space with few vendors and fewer customers. There was nothing really there that we couldn't find in Whole Foods or Fresh Market.

We did meet and speak with some really nice people (and saw some really weird ones) -- but that seems to pretty much be the norm for Cincinnati.

So: what gives? Why so few vendors? Why so many empty buildings? Who is painting them and maintaining their flower boxes? Where is everyone?

Its' too bad. We were really psyched to finally get a chance to go to Findlay Market and if what we found is typical, we probably won't go back until something changes. Not because it felt dangerous or anything -- just because it was really kind of sad.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,150 times
Probably because it's not worth the risk of getting shot... Maybe an over exageration, maybe not. Point is it's still in a particularly dangerous part of town. I've lived here all my life and haven't ever been there. Don't really see the point I guess, just go to jungle jims... *shrugs*

Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
Okay, I will start this with a HUGE apology because I get a little crazy about this City.... First, Cincisux09 (BTW whats up with the name?)-you have lived here your whole life and never been to Findlay but decided to pick this thread to comment on..okay...well I guess I can relate to a point, let me explain. I have lived in the Cincy area for 28 of my 38 years-grew up in West Chester and now live IN the City of Cincinnati (proud resident I'd like to add). I never gave Findlay a thought until a few years ago. We all get stuck in that rut when we live somewhere sometimes. Take for granted the wonderful things our City offers and not be a part of them...I have learned that is not a good idea and you miss out on a lot this City has to offer and MAYBE that is why I love it so much, because I have completely embraced it..all of it, the good and the bad.
Findlay Market is one place I go to a lot by myself. I feel safe, I enjoy the people there and I enjoy talking with the people who work there. I have NEVER been bothered by anyone. I have NEVER felt threatened by anyone. Its a wonderful place to go and I recommend it to everyone I know. And if you do go, make sure you go to Aunt Floras, Silverglades, and Angelinas..all my must stops.
As for Jerseys comments about where all the people are, when did you go? Findlay is pretty quiet during the week(opens on wed.) I sometimes prefer to go during the week when it is quiet cause I can get my errands ran a little quicker but the weekends...well, they are a BLAST.
I am sharing their link Findlay Market-Historic renovated Cincinnati Public Market and Farmers Market. so you can check out some of their upcoming events and maybe give it another shot...you can find some of the answers to your questions there too.
I sound like a owner of the place but I honestly just really love going there and I guess I just want others to have that same feeling about the place. Good luck!

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 09-13-2008 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
I think Findlay is great, when did you go, because Saturday morning/noontime is the best time to go out of the week.

You have a much much much higher percentage chance of dying or being injured driving your car to Jungle Jims in Fairfield than going to Findlay market.

Findlay is very safe, the problem is that some people who live in the suburbs simply do not feel safe in any african american neighborhoods, regardless of the realities.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:19 AM

246 posts, read 1,048,949 times
Jersey, you need to go on the weekend. That's when you'll find lots of local farmers, bakers, soapmakers, flower vendors, musicians, etc. It's so crowded on Saturday morning you'll likely have to park on a nearby street. The smells of the food cooking around lunchtime will knock you out! Give it one more try . . . .

And here's a link with info about other local farmers' markets:

http://cincinnatifarmersmarkets.org/

Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:45 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
I've never seen Findlay Market even approach appearing uncrowded. Customers jostle cordially and will chat and share recipes ("That kind of cheese is extra spicy, but crumble some over such-and-such a soup...") while the merchants keep smiles on their faces as they race from one end of the counter to another and back again. Aromas that'll make you hungry even if you just ate - not a bad idea whenever you go food shopping, lol - waft through the air. Neighborhood kids hawk shopping bags for people who've bought more than they can carry.

The OTR area around there is definitely not to be ventured into. Race and West Elder are the best streets to park on; drive around the block until you can score a space near the market. There's a reason the marketplace isn't open after dark, and why so many buildings are prettied up for gentrification but still standing empty. It's just plain dangerous. Mrs Goyguy Sr's purse was grabbed inside the market building a few years ago. Like any good city person, her son included, she refused to stop going because of that but no longer makes the trip alone. Not long after the incident occurred, she was talking with one of the market's butchers about it when he remarked, "It can get crazy sometimes. We all carry guns here." But the bad guys win only when the good guys give up. Legions of Findlay fans have no thought of giving up. I'd put the risk of a purse-snatching in a mall parking lot higher than what Findlay Market poses. Like Music Hall and the Main St club district, lots o' White folks with money go there and the city wants to keep them safe. Cops are a visible presence all the time in those three sectors of OTR. One was waiting for my mom when she arrived back after brassily and fruitlessly chasing the thief for several blocks, all apologies for being at the far end of the market when everything went down. Neighbors "dimed out" the juvie who perpetrated the crime and also commiserated. What some people fail to comprehend is that victims live in the ghetto too, and can't stand having bad things go on around them. "Stop snitching" is a real slogan and a real problem, but as is typical in media like the Enquirer it's overstated.

Paranoid suburbanites, who never leave the expressways if they travel within the 275 loop at all, don't know what they're missing as their subdivisions tear up the land and their fearmongering finds its way into these kinds of discussions. It's too bad so many of them sound off when they have no idea of what they're talking about.

As far as not food shopping on an empty stomach, a great place to take care of that issue is Tucker's. It's a small, family-owned restaurant which has been in the 1700 block of Vine St for longer than any of us have been alive. Get stuffed on one of their omelettes or anything else on the big menu. Savor the crossroads-of-America atmosphere as you savor your repast. Then waddle a block north and a block west and get ready for sensory overload. Jungle Jim's may have foods from all over the world - the Goyguy Sr's enjoy trips out there too - but 'tain't Findlay Market and never will be.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

Paranoid suburbanites, who never leave the expressways if they travel within the 275 loop at all, don't know what they're missing as their subdivisions tear up the land and their fearmongering finds its way into these kinds of discussions. It's too bad so many of them sound off when they have no idea of what they're talking about.
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't make blanket statements about suburbanites. We're hardly paranoid, we DO venture inside the 275 loop, we DO get out of our cars inside that loop, and we don't all like the fact that our land is being torn up to make more subdivisions.

I will say this: Never once have I had to worry about someone swiping my purse/wallet while inside Jungle Jim's. I've also never had to worry about making sure I find a parking spot close to the entry. And I'm sure as heck positive the vendors inside there don't have to worry about carrying guns.

Please get your "facts" straight before typecasting us all.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Actually, if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't make blanket statements about suburbanites. We're hardly paranoid, we DO venture inside the 275 loop, we DO get out of our cars inside that loop, and we don't all like the fact that our land is being torn up to make more subdivisions.

I will say this: Never once have I had to worry about someone swiping my purse/wallet while inside Jungle Jim's. I've also never had to worry about making sure I find a parking spot close to the entry. And I'm sure as heck positive the vendors inside there don't have to worry about carrying guns.

Please get your "facts" straight before typecasting us all.
Um..I lived in Fairfield for 5 years right by Jungle Jims and I wouldnt give it THAT much credit.
And as far as Goyguys statements, I have to say I agree with a lot he said. Now I will say I do understand where you are coming from too because this is the beast called PERCEPTION. I dont like the perception the City has and you dont like the perception the suburbanites have. Wouldnt it be nice if we could all just get along?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:15 AM

204 posts, read 745,048 times
I have NEVER had a problem shopping at Findlay Market, and I go regularly. There is not much going on during the week, but on Saturday & Sunday, many vendors set up selling homegrown produce, homemade jellies, sauces, pastries, breads, soaps, jewelry ~ too many things to mention.

AND ~ I walk there~
Roadfood.com Forums - Walk to Findlay Market/Cincy {lots of pics} (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29373&SearchTerms=findlay,marke t - broken link)

Jersey-
Did you check out the surrounding shops? They have a whole lot of things you cannot find at Whole Foods. Saigon Market, Krause's Sausages, Madison's Produce, Angelina's Italian, Mediterranean Imports, and Silverglade's Cheese all offer unique things you cannot find elsewhere in the city.

Don't go on Monday or Tuesday, unless you just want to pick up something at one of the few places that are open. Most of the vendors and shops are open Wed. - Sun., but MANY more are open Sat. & Sun.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 AM

710 posts, read 3,046,153 times
Fairfield isn't exactly the safest suburb in the area. In 2006 there were more homicides in Fairfield than:

West Price Hill, East Price Hill, Lower Price Hill, Sedamsville, Mt. Auburn, Hartwell, Fay Apartments, South Cumminsville, Camp Washington, Sayler Park, Riverside, Madisonville, Linwood, East Walnut Hills, Evanston, the East End, O'Bryonville, and Pleasant ridge combined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati