U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 AM

149 posts, read 386,089 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati has great history for a "midwestern" city. Developing OTR into it's original luster would be fantastic. I'm so tired of cookie cutter vinyl village BS, OTR's historical building are some of the most beautiful in the U.S. and anything to bring these pricless pieces of history back to life would be well worth it. Streetcars are the cheapest rail system and considering the city would only have to dish out 100-125 million and get in return up to 10 fold would be well worth it. I lived in Cincy for 10 years and am currently in Indy. Let me tell you if Indy had half the history Cincy did I would stay here be unfortunetly Indy is very boring with not that many historical or "urban" areas. I think we might have a total of 30 row houses and everything is flat with no view. Cincinnatians you don't know how lucky you are to live in a beautiful city and hopefully soon I'll be making my way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:05 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,846,421 times
^ Excellent post!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
^ Excellent post!
Thanks, it's pretty amazing how people are quick to abandon the true history of the city in favor of a 3 bed 2/12 bath with a walk in closet master bath and a lot of tan carpet with white walls.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:12 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,581,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
Cincinnatians you don't know how lucky you are to live in a beautiful city.....
Wellllllll, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Some people like the older rowhouses in OTR - and they can be nice when fixed up. I've seen a rehab, and it was incredible. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea. There's a lot to be said about contemporary homes in the suburbs, too. (They aren't ALL cookie-cutter. ) Some people like the yards that come along with them here in the 'burbs and rural areas, and we likewise offer a different experience that you can't find in the city. It's all a matter of personal taste and preference.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Wellllllll, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Some people like the older rowhouses in OTR - and they can be nice when fixed up. I've seen a rehab, and it was incredible. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea. There's a lot to be said about contemporary homes in the suburbs, too. (They aren't ALL cookie-cutter. ) Some people like the yards that come along with them here in the 'burbs and rural areas, and we likewise offer a different experience that you can't find in the city. It's all a matter of personal taste and preference.
I'm familiar with cookie cutter charm as well and it is appealing in it's own way and good for a lot of people. My point in all this is it's seems that people would rather abandon what makes Cincy, Cincy and that includes downtown and areas surrounding.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
aquila, there's no need to be so defensive (assuming you were, if not then I apologize). We all know that there are nice attributes to the 'burbs.

What a lot of people don't think about is even Clifton is a suburb. If someone wanted to live in the city or near it, I'd recommend Mt. Lookout.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
aquila, there's no need to be so defensive (assuming you were, if not then I apologize). We all know that there are nice attributes to the 'burbs.

What a lot of people don't think about is even Clifton is a suburb. If someone wanted to live in the city or near it, I'd recommend Mt. Lookout.

Any good areas left in Mr Auburn...that has that historical quality I'm looking for but haven't been there for a while.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
Any good areas left in Mr Auburn...that has that historical quality I'm looking for but haven't been there for a while.
Sure, Prospect Hill is saying, "Recession, what recession?"

Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Sure, Prospect Hill is saying, "Recession, what recession?"
Damn forgot all about Prospect Hill, gotta love those city views!!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,581,237 times
Quote:
Well, I was being a tad defensive. When I read stuff like "cookie cutter vinyl village BS", it sounds like a put-down. Imagine how it would sound if someone referred to an urban neighborhood as "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap". I just wanted to point out that tastes vary, and it's not all "cookie cutter" homes in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati