Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:57 PM

149 posts, read 439,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Well, I was being a tad defensive. When I read stuff like "cookie cutter vinyl village BS", it sounds like a put-down. Imagine how it would sound if someone referred to an urban neighborhood as "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap". I just wanted to point out that tastes vary, and it's not all "cookie cutter" homes in the suburbs.
No big deal, I assume that most that live in the burbs knows there are a lot of "cookie cutter vinyl village BS" neigborhoods and not meant to be offensive to those types of homes but yes it is BS to me. In the same case yes there is much "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap" in Cincy as well which at the same time might be BS to you and if anybody said that in a post I could care less because I know it's true. Every neighborhood has it's place and is defined by the people and culture that exists there. I'm sorry if I don't find a vinyl village exciting like others might and I decided to express that, sorry if this offends anybody.

Currently I live in a 50's ranch style house where all the neighbors are very friendly and all the houses look the same and have no historical value. BORING!!! It has it's +'s but not very exciting for a 26 year old guy with no kids. I need a little more excitment and with that might just come a more "dangerous" neighborhood like that "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap" which is fine for me. WOW that was a rant and now I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:55 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
No big deal, I assume that most that live in the burbs knows there are a lot of "cookie cutter vinyl village BS" neigborhoods and not meant to be offensive to those types of homes but yes it is BS to me. In the same case yes there is much "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap" in Cincy as well which at the same time might be BS to you and if anybody said that in a post I could care less because I know it's true. Every neighborhood has it's place and is defined by the people and culture that exists there. I'm sorry if I don't find a vinyl village exciting like others might and I decided to express that, sorry if this offends anybody.
You're not really offending me. I live in a mobile home....yes, here in West Chester. But you might be offending those who live in one of those "vinyl villages" by virtue of the fact that you are calling it such.

Of course, I'm sure there are those out there who would refer to me as "trailer park trash".

Quote:
Currently I live in a 50's ranch style house where all the neighbors are very friendly and all the houses look the same and have no historical value. BORING!!!
It's only as boring as you make it. One hundred years from now, those 50's ranch style homes (I used to live in one myself years ago in Price Hill) might be just as historic as the rowhouses in OTR. Who knows? After all, what is history? What has to transpire in a particular neighborhood before it's classified as "historic"?

Quote:
It has it's +'s but not very exciting for a 26 year old guy with no kids.
Then why did you move there?

Quote:
I need a little more excitment and with that might just come a more "dangerous" neighborhood like that "dirty brick rowhouse OTR crap" which is fine for me. WOW that was a rant and now I'm done.
So what is it about a dangerous neighborhood full of rowhouses that excites you?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
But you might be offending those who live in one of those "vinyl villages" by virtue of the fact that you are calling it such.

If this offends you then please get over it and concentrate your frustration on something else. It is what it is and you can't change it so just deal.

It's only as boring as you make it. One hundred years from now, those 50's ranch style homes (I used to live in one myself years ago in Price Hill) might be just as historic as the rowhouses in OTR. Who knows? After all, what is history? What has to transpire in a particular neighborhood before it's classified as "historic"?

Might be true but the biggest difference is historic homes were built when people cared about detail and craftsmanship. You could not find one intresting piece of craftsmanship in my house...just a bunch of drywall concrete, like I said BORING.

Then why did you move there?

It was an investment property that I flipped and plan to sell. Due to circumstances I ended up moving in and if you've ever been to Indy not much going on here in the way of history so really no choice.

So what is it about a dangerous neighborhood full of rowhouses that excites you?
If you notice dangerous is in quotations so might be dangerous only to some but possibly not me. So if you throw out that word it makes sense. Our country doesn't have much history behind it and it would be damn nice if people would appreciate what little it did so thats what makes rowhouses exciting for me and makes vinyl village bs.

Well on another note thanks for all the feedback, keep in comming.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,450 times
a greek dude,

i would offer you this - don't limit yourself to over-the-rhine. otr is historic, but very fragile. a bad year of downtown crime could put otr back to post-riots - shooting, shooting, and more shooting.

i think people forget we don't just have otr, we have an entire ''old city'', with the classic cincinnati architecture full of townhouses, rows and tenements/1800's apartments. the neighborhoods (by my humble definition) include:

-otr
-the west end
-prospect hill
-some of the preserved areas of auburn
-corryville, walnut hills, fairview (all with later infill of course, but still historic)
-camp washington
-fairmount
-lower price hill
-sedamsville
-riverside
-older areas of east price hill
-old westwood
-milvale
-cumminsville
-and my favorite neighborhood, northside.

all of these don't fit the bill of exciting, but some do, and all are centrally located, so you could be close to excitement and return home to serenity if you chose to.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
a greek dude,

i would offer you this - don't limit yourself to over-the-rhine. otr is historic, but very fragile. a bad year of downtown crime could put otr back to post-riots - shooting, shooting, and more shooting.

i think people forget we don't just have otr, we have an entire ''old city'', with the classic cincinnati architecture full of townhouses, rows and tenements/1800's apartments. the neighborhoods (by my humble definition) include:

-otr
-the west end
-prospect hill
-some of the preserved areas of auburn
-corryville, walnut hills, fairview (all with later infill of course, but still historic)
-camp washington
-fairmount
-lower price hill
-sedamsville
-riverside
-older areas of east price hill
-old westwood
-milvale
-cumminsville
-and my favorite neighborhood, northside.

all of these don't fit the bill of exciting, but some do, and all are centrally located, so you could be close to excitement and return home to serenity if you chose to.
I agree and I've found some really cool historical houses in some of the areas you've listed and they add a yard, garage, and great view as well. All in all there's some real nice stuff in East Price Hill that has some great views and Prospect Hill is pretty sweet as well. Anyways great list and I've explored all these areas and they can be gorgeous and different than almost anywhere in the states. Cincinnati has architecture going on!! I was actually putting Northside on the top of my list. I did a search for houses and it's seems like it's a great neighborhood but about half the houses are for sale here and they are at a very good price. What is the deal hillside and are there any views from this part and if so which streets should I look on?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
If you notice dangerous is in quotations so might be dangerous only to some but possibly not me. So if you throw out that word it makes sense. Our country doesn't have much history behind it and it would be damn nice if people would appreciate what little it did so thats what makes rowhouses exciting for me and makes vinyl village bs.

Well on another note thanks for all the feedback, keep in comming.
Thanks for answering all my questions. (I was actually asking you seriously, but if you want to dodge them, that's fine.)

Anyhow, not sure what you mean about our country not having much history behind it. Apparently you didn't do too well in your high school history courses.

I fail to see how NOT finding rowhouses exciting (which, BTW, I never said) translates into not appreciating history. Personally, I much prefer the log cabin look - which predates those rowhouses.

I guess 200 years from now, people will look back on the "vinyl village BS" as a period in America's history in which many great people - presidents, artists, doctors, scientists - had their beginnings....right here in the suburbs. Imagine that.

Have a great evening, AGreekDude. Hope you find what makes your heart content. That's my sincere wish for you. If that means OTR, more power to ya', guy.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
You can't compare a Log Cabin to a Row House or Brownstone, maybe for aesthetic reasons, I guess (but that is extremely subjective). Many row houses (DC, Baltimore, Boston, NY, Cincy, etc.) are still standing, and for good reason. Log Cabins were cheaply made and constructed mostly without nails or hammer (assuming you were talking about the past since that's the example you gave).

Quote:
Personally, I much prefer the log cabin look - which predates those rowhouses.
Log cabin construction came to North America in the 1700s when Swedish settlers brought building customs from their home country, but became popular in the 1800's (Frontier Land).

The first row houses in the United States, were Carstairs Row in Philadelphia, designed by builder and architect Thomas Carstairs [4] circa 1799 through 1820, for developer William Sansom, as part of the first speculative housing developments in the United States.

Architecture Time Line
About.com: http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1978/4/78.04.03.x.html

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
You can't compare a Log Cabin to a Row House or Brownstone...
I can compare it to any darned thing I like, Cincy-Rise. Yes, I'm making a comparison for aesthetics reasons. It's my taste, and my opinion, and whether it's "subjective" or not is irrelevant to the discussion.

And log cabins DO predate rowhouses, by virtue of the fact that they were introduced to this country in the 17th and 18th centuries....ie. the 1600s and 1700s. I know how to Google. You're the one that encouraged me to do that, remember?

Now....will you PLEASE put me on your Ignore List. I'm starting to feel like you're harassing me and I don't appreciate it.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for answering all my questions. (I was actually asking you seriously, but if you want to dodge them, that's fine.)

Anyhow, not sure what you mean about our country not having much history behind it. Apparently you didn't do too well in your high school history courses.

I fail to see how NOT finding rowhouses exciting (which, BTW, I never said) translates into not appreciating history. Personally, I much prefer the log cabin look - which predates those rowhouses.

I guess 200 years from now, people will look back on the "vinyl village BS" as a period in America's history in which many great people - presidents, artists, doctors, scientists - had their beginnings....right here in the suburbs. Imagine that.

Have a great evening, AGreekDude. Hope you find what makes your heart content. That's my sincere wish for you. If that means OTR, more power to ya', guy.
Seriously dude our country is all of not even 500 years old so compared to other countries which by the way have historical buildings standing longer than Americans have been around to me says that yes we don't have as much history compared to others.

Anyways I read a lot of posts on here and yes I can read since I attended high school and all and it seems you are the constant pric on here always causing issues and toteing your internet toughness. I'm really not trying to pick a fit and it seems like all you want to do is argue so please move on buddy and find someone else to badger. If you decide to respond I won't answer so give it up and move on. I'm sure you'll get your kicks elsewhere.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
Quote:
I can compare it to any darned thing I like, Cincy-Rise.
I wasn't referring to you having the ability to make your opinion known, just that comparing the two housing types would be too ridiculous.

Quote:
It's my taste, and my opinion, and whether it's "subjective" or not is irrelevant to the discussion.
Subjective means that what you or I say isn't concrete. In other words, it we're comparing a subject matter based on aesthetic reasons, then yes, a debate having a subjective slant doesn't hold a definite truth.

Quote:
And log cabins DO predate rowhouses, by virtue of the fact that they were introduced to this country in the 17th and 18th centuries....ie. the 1600s and 1700s. I know how to Google. You're the one that encouraged me to do that, remember?
That's awesome. Google has been around for a little while, but yes it's amazing.

According to the sites I provided, the log cabin came to be part of the American Colonial styles, along with cape cods, in the 1700's the same century as the Row House ... but then again your argument is based on aesthetics.

Quote:
Now....will you PLEASE put me on your Ignore List. I'm starting to feel like you're harassing me and I don't appreciate it.
If you feel like I'm harassing you, then why don't you ad me to your ignore list? Wouldn't that make more sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati