U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:07 PM

149 posts, read 385,924 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I cruised through OTR Vine Street for the first time since 01 and it looks the same as I can remember except for the closer areas toward downtown. I really want a loft and I'm not afraid to fix it up. Where should I look? Do you all think that with the new queen city providing 9,000 jobs in 2011 will force even more development in OTR. And how about this train system that was proposed? All these things really seem to make living in OTR a great investement in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:55 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,844,339 times
lol ... well, I think saying it looks the same as in '01 is stretching it a little far as that's physically impossible with the amount of new condos that have come online in just the past few years.

Here is a link of the most recent newly renovated condos (from the Cincy Dev. link):

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine (September '08)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/UncleRando/Cincinnati/OTR_Westend/Blogger%20Tour/IMG_7978.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-28-2008, 05:21 PM

I checked out that link in a previous post and those units are fantastic!! I can't afford 300,000 though and would like something that is a fixer upper but in a potential to be a nice area. No answers to any of my other questions?? You always seem to have your opinions on matters so what do you think. Is OTR a good investment fo the future?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 AM

710 posts, read 2,649,044 times
No question

Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 PM

I keep reading about the new streetcar system that could possibly add upwards of 2 million dollars in revenue and it makes me so excited that Cincy seems to finally be getting it right. I think mid next year I'll be back in the Nati. Hopefully all these projects don't end up like the subway blunder of the 20's.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Opps I meant 2 billion

Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 AM

18,018 posts, read 13,243,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreekDude View Post
I keep reading about the new streetcar system that could possibly add upwards of 2 million dollars in revenue and it makes me so excited that Cincy seems to finally be getting it right. I think mid next year I'll be back in the Nati. Hopefully all these projects don't end up like the subway blunder of the 20's.
Don't count on it. Others and I are working to destroy it and we'll be successful.

Over the summer I worked part-time downtown and walked home late at night through OTR up Elm and Race Streets. They've moved a lot of the rift-raft out by closing the buildings, so it's fairly empty.

Nobody hassled me, but I did vary my route and sometimes walked up Central Parkway to Ravine if people were paying undue attention to me.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,116 times
Why would you want to destroy a good thing and keep things the same??

Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 AM

18,018 posts, read 13,243,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Why would you want to destroy a good thing and keep things the same??
You don't need it. The area is already served. If you want to do something, expand your mind and step into the 21st Century. If it don't go from Hamilton, West Chester or Kings Mill to downtown in 30 minutes, you don't build it.

It's just that simple. Like Shakespeare said, a light rail by any other name is still a bus.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You don't need it. The area is already served. If you want to do something, expand your mind and step into the 21st Century. If it don't go from Hamilton, West Chester or Kings Mill to downtown in 30 minutes, you don't build it.

It's just that simple. Like Shakespeare said, a light rail by any other name is still a bus.
excellent post. why does cincinnati have to baby through the process of developing rail transit? why can't our politicians put together a plan that would make sense to voters? how about this....

-the first phase includes a line to dayton via middletown, hamilton, tri-county, and the heart of the city along route 4, northside, and vine on downtown. at tri-county, this line branches to forest park and colerain, with lines down colerain ave. and hamilton ave., that connect to a station in northside.

-a station at dana and montgomery. one line goes directly east to madisonville, one line goes northeast through kenwood on to mason and kings island, and one goes north though norwood and bond hill to west chester. the original line goes along gilbert and takes you downtown.

-a line along beekman, with one branch heading along queen city, and the other going along glenway. this line is part of the dayton-to-downtown line.

-the streetcar is used as a supplement to the light/heavy rail. it connects ''the city'' from downtown to uptown, walnut hills, avondale, and other commercial corridors like madison.

the big deal is the dayton connection, but if taken at face value -

-only 2 main lines

-the eastern line splits, but only has one branch line

-the DHD (dayton-hamilton-downtown) connects the westside, serves some of the metro's poorest areas, and offers an alternative to the stop-n-go traffic jam that is northwest 275 area, hamilton ave, and colerain.

-most importantly, the key voting regions are being served in butler and warren counties, the eastside, and the westside isn't being treated as a TBA.

Last edited by hillside; 10-04-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati