Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,451 times

Advertisements

We're selling our Phoenix, AZ home and moving to the Middletown area. After 30 + years here can't deal with the heat any longer. We need help locating a safe suburban community with good schools. 19 year old in college, 15 year old in H.S. and 12 year old in 7th grade.
Also need to know what the work climate is there. I have been in the electrical construction industry forever and my wife is a bookkeeper. Appreciate all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 AM

122 posts, read 956,992 times
Middletown itself is in a dpression since the AK steel issues. The schools are greatly affected and can not pass a levy, so they have cut out quite a bit.
I would consider Monroe. Nice town, up and coming, new schools! Here's some classifieds for looking at homes; Monroe Classifieds - [domain blocked due to spam]
and
Ohio Rental Properties / Rental Listings in Ohio (broken link) (type in Monroe)
Also, Springboro, West Chester, Mason and Lebanon are nice areas!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:55 AM

10 posts, read 51,519 times
Monroe is...well..chessy. I would never choose to live there, although it is a safe, clean place.

There are very nice areas in Middletown, but the city is struggling financially right now.

Just make sure you are in Butler County, Warren County (Springboro, Mason, Lebanon, etc) is a mess.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonfan View Post
Just make sure you are in Butler County, Warren County (Springboro, Mason, Lebanon, etc) is a mess.
That's SO NOT TRUE! Springboro, Mason, Lebanon are lovely, thriving areas with great schools. Please don't give bad information without being able to back it up. They are coming from out of state and may take your word as gospel. They do not know the difference between Over The Rhine and Mason, and the way you describe it with no explanation is just wrong!

(Poster; Over the Rhine is the slums of Cincinnati. Mason is a very nice, upscale, growing area. Very much in demand, as well as Springboro and Lebanon.)

Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 51,519 times
^Sorry I didn't elaborate.I don't like the way Warren County operates. I lived there for 19 years and wouldn't move back. All the communities mentioned are pleasant and livable, but if I'm going to live in suburbia it would be in West Chester or Liberty Township in Butler County.And, by the way, there are some great living spaces in Over-the-Rhine. I wouldn't recommend that without painting the whole picture, however.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,315 times
Default To each their own...

Have you folks from AZ considered buying a home near a college in Cincinnati? Considering both parental careers and the ages of the children, Clifton has my vote. UC and Cincinnati State are in the neighborhood. There are schools and lots of homes within walking or biking distance. There are many locally-owned shops on Ludlow and the ones on McMillan are easily accessable and full of character. I have lived here, moving twice on the same street, for two wonderful years. I found a place across from Burnet Woods. (a beautiful park with a newly remodeled nature center, numerous hiking trails, free yoga by Gratitude in Motion, a gazeebo, disc golf, playgrounds, a pond, etc ) My residence has a porch, a garage, and an off-street parking in a lot. There are quite a few beautiful homes available on Clifton Ave. One even has a 50-foot woman in the backyard! There are many treasures in the area.

In my opinion, it would serve the family well to RENT a space for a few months before deciding on an area appropriate for their own lifestyle. There is a 7-bedroom Victorian on the corner of Bishop and MKL, with a view of Burnet Woods. While all of the opinions expressed ring with some truth, the best way to know the truth is to experience it yourself. There are plenty of neighborhoods, schools, and jobs worth investigating.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,315 times
Oh, and the climate is moderate in the spring and fall, hot and humid in the summer (but not as depriciating as a Texas summer), and cold- snow and ice- in the winter. The spring and fall are my favorite; seasons are new to me.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Crime in Clifton is very high - especially on the UC campus (as it is with most colleges) compared to the suburbs. I, personally, do not care for the public schools in Cincinnati.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 7,614 times
I currently live in Middletown and the new school year started and it's true the new levy didn't pass and a LOT has been cut. I am SO SO disappointed. My elementary kids are not getting science and social studies!! I am actually looking to move myself out of Middletown.
Just in my humble opinion, if you care about your children's education do not move into Middletown school district unless you plan to home-school or private school your children. Having Miami University here is great, I attend it, but to me, I'd rather have a longer commute than see my children's education neglected like this.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 AM

9 posts, read 23,585 times
I just moved to Phoenix from Mason. I am originally from Middletown. I would not choose Middletown. AK Steel really hurt a lot of families with the recent strike. I still have friends there. Mason is a lovely place. It is growing and can be a bit congested but it really has a lot to offer and it is gives you easy access to Cincinnati or Middletown. My son was in 7th grade at Mason and he loved that school. Mason was just listed as one of the top 100 cities to live in. Springboro is a very nice place too and I hear the school system is very good.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati