U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 26,642 times

Advertisements

Thanks Daytonnatian I will do that. Do you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I know I'll get blasted for saying this on the cincy forum, but please look into Trotwood up near Dayton. If you're African-American, it's really a great place to live, because it's about 60-40 African-American.
I wouldn't blast you at all! I don't want to be the only one offering my thoughts in here, and Dayton doesn't have its own forum. Whatever is best for someone else is what I seek for them. Thanks for contributing to the thread. I've heard Trotwood is nice. I honestly didn't know how diverse it was. How are the schools there?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,428,123 times
The Cincinnati equivalent to Trotwood is Forest Park, a northern Cincinnati suburb with a large African-American population, many of them being middle-class.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,563,248 times
I live in the City of Cincinnati limits in a neighborhood called Hartwell. It is CPS schools but there are many private schools as well. The area is diverse and although the houses & neighborhood are old (we live in a 1890 home which was a 2family we are converting back into a single family), it has many new things going on as well as 9 churches in our neighborhood. There is a local Kroger store (easy to walk to) and is on a bus line as well. I have chimmed in on this web site many times about Hartwell and love it here. We are right off Interstate 75 and Cross County Highway which gets you pretty much all over the City in a matter of minutes. The location is great. There is UC and Xavier and other community colleges in the City as well as Raymond Walters which is part of UC just off Cross County less than 10 minutes away. I have some pics of my neighborhood on my profile page you are welcome to view and if I can help with anything else please let me know. I have a 16year old son and have lived here for a little over 7 years, like I said, I love the area and I love my neighbors..couldnt ask for much more. My sister in law lived with us for a few years and just moved to Forest Park this past spring. She likes it there but misses the quick hop onto the highway which got her to & from work much quicker. Our cousin just moved back here from Arizona and he stayed with us while looking for a place, he & his fiance are looking in this area because he too liked the location and quick commute to work. He enjoyed sitting on the porch at night and thought is was so quiet! Good luck with your decision. My husband wants to move where he can see mountains out the windows of our home someday but he will have to tie me up and throw me in the car to get me out of here lol.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM

926 posts, read 2,401,330 times
I moved to Cincinnati from Chicago July 2005 and the cost of living difference is amazing. I am a young, single Black female and honestly if it were any other city I had moved to, I would not be still living in it. I was able to move up here with only $3,000- it got me a furnished 1 bedroom apartment for 6 months and I survived making $9/hr for a year before I was hired at P&G. I came here because after my boyfriend and I graduated from college, he accepted a position at Toyota as an engineer and I accepted admission into the University of Cincinnati's medical school, but after my financial aid fell through, I could not finish the term but I was able to find a job in literally one day (yes it didnt pay much, but it kept me afloat). I was living in Clifton which is very affordable and safe, and also where most college students live, but in my complex it was a mix of families and students (Clifton Colony). I now living in Columbia-Tusculm which I love TO DEATH. It is very diverse, close to shopping, downtown and Kentucky, and I have a gorgeous 2 bedroom apartment with views of the kentucky hills, downtown, and the river from my balcony and all for $625! 5/3 Bank is like....7 minutes from here and they are always hiring. They hired my friend who had 3 years call center experience into a great banking position. Cincinnati is very cheap to live in- in KY there is no tax on foods! Gas is cheap, housing is cheap and it is very diverse. Entertainment is lacking but if I dont feel like going to Newport, Louisville, Columbus and Indianapolis are a short drive away. Its a MAJOR change from Chicago but you may like that. I am actually looking to move to Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo or the Detroit burbs because I need more entertainment- Cincy is a very small city to me (a person coming from Chicago) but you will make it here fine and I know the city will be good to you like it was for me. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,347,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasfam2009 View Post
Thanks Daytonnatian I will do that. Do you live there?
No, but I work there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati