U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM

17 posts, read 26,656 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello,
My husband and three children are looking to relocate to Cincinnatti Ohio(we are African American). My best friend moved here from cincinnatti and is going back next Jan 2009 because she swears that Ohio is a way better place to raise kids and the cost of living is cheaper. PLEASE HELP. I have been in Chicago all of my life and my husband and I have talked about relocating for years just never knew where and had the courage. We are both 30, I have worked at a bank for 10 years and he has worked in the warehouse/manufacturing industry for the past 10 years. I have some college and I am looking to go back and finish my undergrad degree and he is looking to go back as well. Can someone advise how the job market is in Cincinnatti or Columbus for someone with 10+ years banking experience but only some college and for my husband with no degree and manuf. experience only. Are the colleges expensive? Are there junior colleges? How is the cost of living? In your opinion is it truly a place to raise kids and are there opportunities for a family to have a decent way of life. Chicago is overrated in my opinion, we would never be able to afford to buy a house here unless we moved to the ghetto or the near suburbs. So please help!
Thank you ALL. By the way I mentioned we are African American just to get a stand point from everyone we would like to live in a diverse area. NO ALL ONE RACE. We were both raised in very diverse atmosphere and our kids are being raised the same way.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,583,347 times
Well, I can try and tackle some questions as best I can for you. I would think with 10+ years of banking experience, you should be able to find something in the area. The banks in the region seem to be stable thus far. I'd recommend Fifth Third, PNC, or US Bank - perhaps even First Financial. You can always go to their websites to do a search for open positions. That would give you a feel for how the local banking job market is. I'm just not sure, with the economy/banking crisis the way it is right now, if it would be the wisest idea to attempt a move at this time. I'd definitely put some feelers out there first before packing up and heading southeast.

As for your husband, I tend to see lots of "Now hiring" signs in front of local manufacturing plants and distribution centers. However, once again the economy is taking a nosedive right now, and if consumer spending is slashed anymore than it already is heading, then you won't see much being produced and there will be layoffs. So it would probably be best if your hubby focused on something a bit more reliable. And even if neither one of you goes back into your specific field, there are always other types of jobs you would qualify for. It seems government and health care is still strong, as well as security and energy jobs. Maybe you could find an office position in a hospital or nursing facility. Banking skills can be used for different types of positions, from retail to office management. Your husband's warehouse/manufacturing skills could make him an ideal candidate for receiving positions in retail or hospitals, etc. You'd just need to be a little creative in your thinking. You might have to take a pay cut for a while and live in an apartment until the economy picks up again. But then again, Cincinnati doesn't pay all that bad.

Obviously, Cincinnati would be much cheaper for you over Chicago, that's a given. I'd even be inclined to say you could get into a much higher quality neighborhood for the kind of money you and your husband would make in your given professions. That would mean a safer neighborhood. There are a number of diverse areas in Cincinnati. Your best bets would be in the central and eastern sections of the city as far as diversity goes. I'd also say West Chester would be a good bet, because there are lots of African Americans, Mexicans, Indian and whites out here...but for a lot of people it can also be a tad pricey out here. Just depends on where you'd find a home. The whole area is safe and accepting of diversity. And the Lakota district is one of the best in the region. There are other people in these boards that could give you a better idea about the Cincinnati neighborhoods. I'd say Forest Park would be a good area.

And yes, there are many different colleges in the area. Major ones are University of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky University, and Miami University (in Oxford). There are also a number of smaller junior colleges, too. So yes, your educational needs would be met just fine. As for cost....well, what can I say? Generally all colleges cost an arm and a leg these days.

To answer your general questions.....yes, the Cincinnati area is a great place to raise a family. There are TONS of things for a family to do in the area....lots of great parks, social events, museums, amusement parks, zoo, unique festivals, etc. The cost of living is among the lowest in the nation, but the quality of life you get along with that is remarkably high.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,850,002 times
Quote:
West Chester would be a good bet, because there are lots of African Americans, Mexicans, Indian
West Chester is 89% white and 4% black.

Hispanic - 2%
Indian - .19%

West Chester: Weather from Answers.com

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 PM

Cincy-Rise, stop paying attention to statistics like that. I live out here, remember? I know who is out here. I'm surrounded by Hispanics in my neighborhood, I've worked with African-Americans who live in the area, I see them in the stores and restaurants all the time. I KNOW what I'm talking about. Why do you always feel the need to contradict me?

Furthermore, instead of contradicting me, why don't you do something useful and respond to the OP with your own advice and suggestions instead of picking one particular line out of my post and shoving it in my face? Honestly, I wonder about you sometimes.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 AM

Thomasfan2009, since Cincy-Rise seems so fit to correct me, I'll amend my post to say there are some African Americans, Hispanics and others who live in West Chester. I see them all the time. Nevertheless, because I must be "spot-on accurate" in my posts, I'll just say that regardless of the numbers, there is diversity here and you'd fit in just fine. But lest someone think I'm trying to unfairly pursuade you to move to West Chester, I'm pretty certain that some place in Hamilton County/Cincinnati would indeed suit you better.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Aquila thank you very much for your extensive response you answered all of my questions and some I did not ask. Cincy-Rise I would be interested in knowing your advice as well. Please add.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Aquila I do have 1 more question for you. Are the kids bused back and forth to school. Here in Chicago they have pretty much eliminated the school bus system so everyday on my lunch I have to take the kids from school to the after school care. By Sep 2009 I will have a fifth,third and kindergarden student. That is very important to us when we move that the kids are bused and hopefully my work can be somewhere close by their school.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasfam2009 View Post
Aquila I do have 1 more question for you. Are the kids bused back and forth to school. Here in Chicago they have pretty much eliminated the school bus system so everyday on my lunch I have to take the kids from school to the after school care. By Sep 2009 I will have a fifth,third and kindergarden student. That is very important to us when we move that the kids are bused and hopefully my work can be somewhere close by their school.
To the best of my knowledge, most (if not all) school systems in the area offer bus service. I know Lakota does, as does Cincinnati, Oak Hills, Mason, etc. It's pretty much area-wide, I'm sure. So school transportation wouldn't be an issue that I'd worry about. In fact, the Lakota district even provides transportation to and from some daycares.

Honestly, not that I'm trying to unduly sell West Chester to you over a Cincinnati neighborhood....but I truly and sincerely believe it would be a perfect fit for you and your family. It's a diverse area - there ARE African Americans, Hispanics, Whites, Muslims, Christians, etc. in WC - plus the job opportunities would be plentiful for you and your husband, as we have not only lots of manufacturing plants and distribution centers, but also a brand-new medical facility and tons of shopping and banking centers. There are also new offices being built all the time. The Lakota district is an excellent school system, and your kids (and family in general) would fit in perfectly here in WC. As I said, it can be a tad pricey in some spots, but there are ALSO a lot of affordable places, too. (Not sure how much you and your husband would be able to afford. Any ideas?) And plenty of apartments/condo complexes in the area. You'd be close to any school in the district no matter where you or your husband worked in West Chester.

Likewise, I'm sure there are other neighborhoods in Cincinnati where the same thing would apply. It just depends on whether you want a newer suburban setting, or something more urban with a bit more history and culture.

God Bless.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 AM

God Bless you to Aquila. Well when we first get there we would be looking to rent until we get settled in. I will be visiting on or around 11/15 so I will come and visit WC I do not have to go to Cin. Thank you for all of your input and I will give you an update when I return.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,350,360 times
I know I'll get blasted for saying this on the cincy forum, but please look into Trotwood up near Dayton. If you're African-American, it's really a great place to live, because it's about 60-40 African-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati