U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 AM

363 posts, read 833,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I haven't checked rents in Mt. Adamas or Hyde Park, but when I was looking at renting last fall (yes - i know, markets have potentially changed since then) - rents in Northside were pretty close to $800 for a safe 2 bdrm.

So, with your budget, you may be priced out of the "trendiest" areas (i.e. Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, possbily Oakley).

Definitely check them out, but don't be suprised if your money doesn't go as far there.

Hope you find something you like!
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Clifton, Norwood, Northside, or NKY (Cov./Newport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,582,012 times
If I might say....I'm a bit concerned you might be disappointed or "less-than-happy" with Norwood. If you're really looking for something a bit more "energetic" and interesting, go with Clifton, Northside (particularly if you're gay) or Newport.

Clifton, particularly the gaslight district, has such a classy, romantic vibe to it. Northside is becoming a funky area with a lot of diversity, and you're apt to meet lots of interesting people there. Newport offers a more centralized location with respect to downtown and the riverfront areas where you can always find something going on.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
If I might say....I'm a bit concerned you might be disappointed or "less-than-happy" with Norwood. If you're really looking for something a bit more "energetic" and interesting, go with Clifton, Northside (particularly if you're gay) or Newport.

Clifton, particularly the gaslight district, has such a classy, romantic vibe to it. Northside is becoming a funky area with a lot of diversity, and you're apt to meet lots of interesting people there. Newport offers a more centralized location with respect to downtown and the riverfront areas where you can always find something going on.
Is Norwood really that bad? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about that area.

In relation to your Northside commentary...I myself am proudly straight, but the races or sexual orientations of those who live around me have no bearing on what area I move to...lol

Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,940,742 times
norwood is an area that could go south quickly because of the cheap rents and run down streets. it's not super dangerous at all, but as far as entertainment goes, if you're looking at norwood, you might as well roll up the street to hyde park or pleasant ridge.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,219,757 times
Yeah, but remember - I think the OP said he is looking to relocate with his MOM?? (I did read that somewhere, didn't I..) Norwood - especially some of the nicer residential areas (right down from Rookwood) - might be better for that residential vibe. Plus, you can always get into Oakley square or HP square in about 2 minutes. Could walk to Rookwood if you liked hanging out there.

Norwood not all that bad - we looked at it - loved the safety, just thought (at the time) it was a little overpriced. It is more affordable than Oakley, HP - and if the economy doesn't completely tank, seems like it was on the way to becoming residential Oakley-light.

Just (like any part of Cinci) make sure the neighborhood you buy/rent in is one that has a good vibe for you and your needs!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Another burning question...

Are any of Cincinnati's western areas (Price Hill, West End, etc.) any good?

And yes, Briolat21...you are correct ...me AND my mother are moving to Cincy.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:19 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
If you're going to look at the West Side, check out Cheviot, Colerain (struggles with location-identity problems, lol), and Bridgetown.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
norwood is an area that could go south quickly because of the cheap rents and run down streets. it's not super dangerous at all, but as far as entertainment goes, if you're looking at norwood, you might as well roll up the street to hyde park or pleasant ridge.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly. (See, we can agree on things! )

Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Another burning question...

Are any of Cincinnati's western areas (Price Hill, West End, etc.) any good?

And yes, Briolat21...you are correct ...me AND my mother are moving to Cincy.
If you have a burning question, you might want to see a doctor about that little problem.

Just kidding. Apparently I'm in a weird mood today. Anyway....

Stay away from West End. Period.

Price Hill...? Ehhhh....depends on what part. See, Cincinnati is such a fragmented place....one good street here might be bordered by another one that is run-down and not so great. If you want to check out PH, look at Covedale or Delhi instead. Delhi is BORING....even more so now than when I lived there in the 70s. But it's decently safe, and the homes are nice in places. Just not much there to speak of as far as shopping or restaurants. It's kinda tucked off in an isolated corner. But yeah, there is bus access and it's in one of the best school districts in the region. However, very little in the way of rowhouses. The people are nice....conservative.

Outside of Fairmount and lower/middle PH, there really isn't much in the way of rowhouses in that part of town. For what it's worth, I'd stick to the other areas you mentioned. However, the west side WOULD be much cheaper for you. And it can be pretty in areas. You'd have to check it out yourself.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:52 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,726 times
^ A friend of mine lives in the West End in a new towne Home, makes over $100k a year and drives a Mercedes SLK, with awesome neighbors. I'm not the city's biggest West End fan, but what do you not like about it?

Point being above, with someone with that kind of income, he has many options ... why would he make this 'hood his home do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or