U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:31 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,561,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You know, it never ceases to amaze me that some people would rather see new residents move into crime-laden areas of Cincinnati JUST for the sake of getting them into the city, without considering what's actually BEST for the OP asking the question.
With ALL DUE RESPECT this is exactly what I was referrring to.. This one on one debate needs to be taken elsewhere because your taking away from this thread on your on person mission to prove to someone other than youself what a great neighborhood west chester is. As a resident of THE CITY OF CINCINNATI who LIVES in one of the lowest crime areas (probably lower than ALL of west chester) I am tired of the posts here about the City which DOES include my neighborhood which I have invested in and wont stand for someone who doesnt live here to say these things. This is what I was talking about in another thread, and I think I explained my living in West CHester pretty well. AND PLEASE NOTE: There are maybe 10 neighborhoods in the City of Cincinnati I would not refer people to live in right now but there are 42 other ones that get to be lumped into this crappy perception that I read over and over again. My neighborhood is great, wonderful homes, great family/neighbor gatherings, its safe and unless you are buying, selling or using drugs you can probably live very safey in this City (and that is a factual statement) and never have to deal with an incident that shows up on that ridiculous stats. And I get monthly "stats" for my neighborhood and quite honestly, they dont add up to anything. A homicide can be on Hartwells stats but it can be from a car chase through 4 neighborhoods and began in Reading or Finneytown. And as far as the number of calls, first, at least people are calling instead of turning the other cheek, AND 12 people can call disbatch for a ONE fight, but it still shows up at 12 calls. So take those stats and throw them out and instead rely on someone who lives in that community and works for the betterment of it everyday.
Now I said before I dont like to get on here and dispute with people but I just about fell out of my seat this morning reading the posts. Now I apologize but I am active in my neighborhood and I know numerous people from almost every other neighborhood in this City and the issues they fight to address everyday or familes they help and it frustrated me to see their communities (with mine lumped in) questioned like this. THere are far more good people in this City than bad, and I, my family and wonderful neighbors are a few of them.

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 10-19-2008 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,579,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
With ALL DUE RESPECT this is exactly what I was referrring to.. This one on one debate needs to be taken elsewhere because your taking away from this thread on your on person mission to prove to someone other than youself what a great neighborhood west chester is. As a resident of THE CITY OF CINCINNATI who LIVES in one of the lowest crime areas (probably lower than ALL of west chester) I am tired of the posts here about the City which DOES include my neighborhood which I have invested in and wont stand for someone who doesnt live here to say these things. This is what I was talking about in another thread, and I think I explained my living in West CHester pretty well. AND PLEASE NOTE: There are maybe 10 neighborhoods in the City of Cincinnati I would not refer people to live in right now but there are 42 other ones that get to be lumped into this crappy perception that I read over and over again. My neighborhood is great, wonderful homes, great family/neighbor gatherings, its safe and unless you are buying, selling or using drugs you can probably live very safey in this City (and that is a factual statement) and never have to deal with an incident that shows up on that ridiculous stats. And I get monthly "stats" for my neighborhood and quite honestly, they dont add up to anything. A homicide can be on Hartwells stats but it can be from a car chase through 4 neighborhoods and began in Reading or Finneytown. And as far as the number of calls, first, at least people are calling instead of turning the other cheek, AND 12 people can call disbatch for a ONE fight, but it still shows up at 12 calls. So take those stats and throw them out and instead rely on someone who lives in that community and works for the betterment of it everyday.
Now I said before I dont like to get on here and dispute with people but I just about fell out of my seat this morning reading the posts. Now I apologize but I am active in my neighborhood and I know numerous people from almost every other neighborhood in this City and the issues they fight to address everyday or familes they help and it frustrated me to see their communities (with mine lumped in) questioned like this. THere are far more good people in this City than bad, and I, my family and wonderful neighbors are a few of them.
I'm not going to get into it with you.

I stand by my posts. Period. Sorry no one else likes it, but I'm TRYING to think of what's best for the OP. And clearly West End is NOT what's best for them.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:56 PM

363 posts, read 832,166 times
Wow...I didn't mean to start a fight. LOL

Hartwell Girl...you have me curious about looking into Hartwell now. Maybe you can tell me a little more about the area...I'd appreciate it

Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Wow...I didn't mean to start a fight. LOL
I'm used to it. I can't seem to say anything in these forums anymore without someone jumping on me about it. I didn't even suggest you look into West Chester, yet somehow it's STILL getting shoved in my face. All I did was post links to crime statistics and news stories related to West End, and suddenly I'm the evil wicked person from WC who can't stand Cincinnati.

Be assured I'm only thinking of what's best for YOU, badguykc. Do what you want. Look where you want. Don't pay attention to anything any of us say, because the bottom line is you simply have to come to Cincinnati to check out the areas on your own. Good luck. I'm out of this discussion. I may as well sit back and wait for the next fight to start, simply because I live in a place most Cincinnatians despise.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,561,254 times
There is a neighborhood web page www.hartwellohio.com which is currently being updated. Hartwell is located 10 miles to the north of the downtown City of CIncinnati. Hartwell was its own neighborhood until 1912 when it annexed into the City of CIncinnati. THere is a lot of history here and great old homes. I have been following the realtors page lately and the home selections are kinda slim right now (dont think many are selling unless they really have to) but there are a few good ones out there, depends what you are looking for. I like the big old victorians, but some like the smaller homes and the old Sears homes we have in the neighborhood too. There is a quite a mix. I added a few photos of the area on my profile due to another person on this forum wanting to see what had changed in the neighborhood over the years-your more than welcome to check them out. Hartwell is CPS with a neighborhood K-8 school. VIne street runs through the business district which has a neighborhood Kroger, CVS, Walgrees and a few restaurants. We have our own recreation center across the street from the school which is currently under renovations to be done in May (and the school begins its construction in Nov/Dec). Located right next to interstate 75, Cross County and the Norwood Lateral---I like how I can get pretty much anywhere in under 20 mins. I got some 2000 census numbers here somewhere (but we all know how I feel about data lol). I will look for it when I get home from work.
Look, every neighborhood/city has its issues but the City of Cincinnati is not all the media makes it out to be. And Aquila, ease up, I dont despise W. Chester, I just remember it when it was different, and that is the way I preferred it (again, I am not leaving any details so dont accuse me of saying bad things about W. Chester)

Old 10-20-2008, 08:15 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,938,008 times
badguykc, hartwell is a nice area. it has a very "easy" feel, a good cincinnati summertime feel, and i'd recommend you take a gander if you'd like. and yes, as an out of towner, stay out of the west end. too many issues to go through.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
badguykc, hartwell is a nice area. it has a very "easy" feel, a good cincinnati summertime feel, and i'd recommend you take a gander if you'd like. and yes, as an out of towner, stay out of the west end. too many issues to go through.
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Amazing how you weren't attacked for it, but I was.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,843,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Amazing how you weren't attacked for it, but I was.
That's because you claim to go by the "vibe feel" instead of realistic stats when it comes to WC, but do the opposite when it comes to Northside? Hmmm ... you're just an easy target aquila!

I'll respect Hillside's opinion over yours any day of the week.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:02 PM

71 posts, read 163,777 times
Default delhi

I live in Lebanon, but my fiance lives in Delhi. Delhi itself is not too bad. There is not much to do there. It is not a very walkable community. You can drive to Western Hills area for shopping and you are not far from Bridgetown Rd. As other posters have mentioned, Delhi is another example of the fragmented nature of Cincinnati's neighborhoods. Delhi itself is okay. I feel safe during the day (haven't been there much at night), but as I drive up Delhi Ave through Sedamsville to get TO Delhi, I have seen drug deals happening in broad daylight and once saw someone getting the crap beat out of him (also in broad daylight) At the intersection that I am talking about, there is always a homeless person begging for money. This is just right down the hill from Delhi. Don't believe that the crime/blight doesn't trickle up. My fiance's apartment (in Delhi) has been broken into 3 times since he's lived there (for a year). No one was home/hurt, but still. It's such a shame, too, because it's Sedamsville that has all the great architecture and views right on the river.

On the other hand, I have also spent quite a bit of time in Norwood, although have not lived there. There are some pretty good neighborhoods there and most of the people I met were friendly. You can get a house for not too much money and fix it up. The homes have yard, but there is still an urban feel to the area. However, there isn't as much to do as in some of the other areas such as clifton or Newport.

I guess it depends if you and your mom are younger and want to lead a very active lifestyle or are more settled and are more in the market for a more residential area.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:21 AM

363 posts, read 832,166 times
Hey everyone...I'm back. Leave it to me to resurrect a dead thread.

Anywho, I've found a nice house across the river in Ludlow, KY, and I will be moving in next week, with my mother to join me in the weeks to come (she's taking care of some last-minute issues here in PA).

I want to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to help us, and to offer up opinions. I'm looking forward to and can't wait to get to the area...especially sampling me some of that Cincinnati chili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or