Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Well...the truth is, we want a little of all of this. We're looking for a nice city neighborhood on a busline, not expensive but not dirt cheap either. Personally, I love rowhouses (and so does my mother), so in a nutshell: a rowhousy neighborhood with low(er) crime and rents below $700/month would be PERFECT.

And to answer your final question...Urban, definitely.

Thank you all for the help!
Greenhills...lived there an loved it! Check out the west side of Winton Road where the older brick row houses are. The rent of $700 and lower also fits that request. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 02:16 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
^ A friend of mine lives in the West End in a new towne Home, makes over $100k a year and drives a Mercedes SLK, with awesome neighbors. I'm not the city's biggest West End fan, but what do you not like about it?

Point being above, with someone with that kind of income, he has many options ... why would he make this 'hood his home do you think?
Forgive me, Cincy-Rise. I meant West Chester....not West End.

In all seriousness, apparently your friend has more guts than most.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3520452-post2.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3523515-post4.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3585078-post5.html

Why don't you go resurrect that thread and rag on those posters for a while, lest you prove my point that you like to contradict everything I say.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:35 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,718,326 times
So ... 3 post's ... 2 poster's ... and 0 residents? Am I correct?

Old 10-18-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm going to retract my endorsements of Price Hill and Northside, and refrain from pushing them in the future.

I'd like to offer up the following links for people to look at:

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...e_pdf32699.pdf

Notice the number of calls and types of crime for each area....particularly West End and Over-The-Rhine. Amazing that Westwood, Price Hill and Northside don't fair too well, either.

Some more stuff to read...and remember, these are ALL recent news reports:

Group's plea: 'Stop the shooting' | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

http://www.kypost.com/content/wcposh...9-d7f03c75d737

Bloody week ends with 2 fatal shootings | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com
Note the section farther down in that article which speaks of someone being killed in....TA DA.....the West End.

Meeting Called After Night of Violence - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

Perhaps a bit old, but still shows the West End has a history of crime....and though the article speaks of a decline in the crime in West End, it still held the most number of murders:
West End residents ask for crime relief

Old 10-18-2008, 03:44 PM

You know, it never ceases to amaze me that some people would rather see new residents move into crime-laden areas of Cincinnati JUST for the sake of getting them into the city, without considering what's actually BEST for the OP asking the question.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Someone posted this a little while back. It's an interesting little tool to check out crime statistics and police calls:

Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator

Just put a check mark in each of the check boxes on the right side under "Crime".

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Someone posted this a little while back. It's an interesting little tool to check out crime statistics and police calls:

Cincinnati.Com Data Center: CinciNavigator

Just put a check mark in each of the check boxes on the right side under "Crime".
Traffic accidents? Traffic stops? Running stops signs? Whoa cowboy!

Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 PM

So ... let's see, correct me if I'm wrong ... West Chester resident is the residential expert for the city of Cincinnati (case in point, wouldn't recommend Northside) ... VS. resident of the neighborhood.

If I stated anything above that isn't true ... feel free to correct me.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Now now now... lets not resurrect these old issues!

In full disclaimer mode - I live in Lebanon - moved there this year. Lived prior to that for 5 months in a rental in Monroe. Lived before that for about 8 months with my brother/sister-in-law in NORTHSIDE. Moved to Northside from Detroit-metro.

I did not buy in Northside. Could have. Did not.

Reason one. Too transitional. Yes, I know - "Northside is on its way up". Except for the fact that I LIVED there, on a "decent" street - and every night at the UDF 1/2 block away there was some kind of issue going on. Kids (literally, couldn't have been more than 11) smoking dope. Yes, dope - I know what it is, what it smells like and this was children on a public street corner smokin' down. In the 8 years my brother has lived there, I have not noticed the neighborhood get appreciably "better" -- i.e. "less transitional".

Reason two. Gun shots. 2 blocks away on the "less decent" streets - semi-weekly at least. I was told it was because of "drugs" and I shouldn't worry because since we were not involved with drugs we would not be in danger. However I come from the Detroit-metro area and I know darn well that bullets may be aimed in one direction, but often end up somewhere unintended.

Reason three. Transitional can go Up or Down. No guarantee its going to get better. Yes, it is a cool neighborhood. People there some of the most liberal I've met yet, hip restaurants, neat stores, cool street life on Hamilton. But still -- not worth the gamble - for me.

So... I am a fan of Northside, I would reccommend it to people PREPARED to deal with the above issues. But, that means they need to be AWARE of these types of issues.

For the record, I looked at buying in Oakley, HP, and Norwood. Ultimately decided owning an acre was more important than being in the city (for me) and thus I now live in Lebanon. I work in Westchester - so my commute (from the city to westchester v. lebanon to westchester) would have been equi-distant.

Cinci-urban is cool. But there are some real issues that people need to be aware of. I'm sure there are crime statistics for Northside, no I haven't looked at them recently (since I stopped living there). I don't know if all random gunshots that don't end in a victim are reported there. But I KNOW they occur, because I heard them - on a disturbingly regular basis.

I will be thrilled if/when N. Side turns the corner. I probably still won't live there, as hopefully by then my hubby and I will be settled into our life in the hinterlands. But I am not a city - basher by any means. There are things the city offers that you just really can't get in the burbs. However I believe the burbs are equally valuable, just different and for people who value other things.

Lets all hope the OP finds what they are looking for in the city and are able to make an informed (by all sorts of people's opinions) decision on what is best for them both (op and mother).

Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 AM

^ If you want dope, head to Indian Hill ... not Northside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati