Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:15 AM

392 posts, read 1,061,398 times

Advertisements

Hello Cincinnati...

My mother and I are both moving to the area in December. I have done extensive research on quite a few city neighborhoods...but research alone is s#!t to me. I would like to ask actual Cincinnatians about the good (or bad) places to live in, and also about the quality of life in Cincinnati.

The neighborhoods we have looked at are: Mt. Adams, North Avondale, Northside, Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, Corryville, and the cities of Norwood in OH, Covington, and Newport in KY.

Speaking of OTR...I have read that OTR is kind of a rough place, but I have also heard that it is really improving there. Anyone's take on this is GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,438,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Hello Cincinnati...

My mother and I are both moving to the area in December. I have done extensive research on quite a few city neighborhoods...but research alone is s#!t to me. I would like to ask actual Cincinnatians about the good (or bad) places to live in, and also about the quality of life in Cincinnati.

The neighborhoods we have looked at are: Mt. Adams, North Avondale, Northside, Over-the-Rhine, Clifton, Corryville, and the cities of Norwood in OH, Covington, and Newport in KY.

Speaking of OTR...I have read that OTR is kind of a rough place, but I have also heard that it is really improving there. Anyone's take on this is GREATLY appreciated.
here's my humble take on the areas you listed....

mt. adams is the classiest neighborhood in the city. it is situated above a steep hill overlooking over-the-rhine and the east side of downtown. the homes are primarily rowhouses and townhouses on hills and winding streets. it's a really beautiful place, safe with a lot to do and see, but it's very exclusive and WASPy. depending on who you are, you may or may not feel comfortable living there, led alone going to a bar there. but it's def. worth checking in to if you're looking to go upper-class.

north avondale is a very nice, diverse neighborhood of exotic late 19th century mansions and manicured lawns in the midst of some of the worst violence in the city. cincinnati's just like that, one block you have a quiet, well kept street, and the next block you have a liquor store, a gun shop, and thugs and crackheads hangin' on the corner. north avondale is true to its name, north of avondale, one of the worst areas of the city, south of bond hill, another really rough area, and west of evanston, yet another bad area. imo, that whole corridor of vine st./reading rd./gilbert rd through mt. auburn, walnut hills through avondale, evanston and bond hill is going to hell in a handbasket, so investing anywhere around there presently doesn't look like a good move.

northside would be my choice if i was moving back to the city. northside has it all - old, dense architecture, areas with small lawns, townhomes, bars, shake it records, restaurants, and prime location. nortside is smack dab in the middle of cincinnati, and you're right on 75, 74, and central parkway if you need a fast track downtown. northside has a crime problem, as it is a poor area, and some blight that definitely needs addressing, but northside also offers some of the eclectic nature of otr without that kind of crime. i would definitely look into northside.

over-the-rhine is a special neighborhood with special problems. it has spectacular, world-class architecture, but is severely blighted, and many of the buildings are havens for the homeless, addicted, or flat-out falling down. the rowhouses, tenements and apartments of otr make for a spectacular urban backdrop, but the segregation of the city leaves an almost all-black, extremely poor neighborhood on downtown that sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you think about it. the gentrification movement is going strong in otr and the west end, but downtown is downtown because it doesn't change. once you get past some of the developments just south of central parkway (separates the CBD from otr/west end), you are pleasantly greeted by large numbers of congregating youth, open-air drug markets, panhandling, transvestites, prostitutes and "johns" everywhere. down-the-way, as we call downtown, is a place everyone can come to buy, sell, steal or rob from three states. it's the heart of the city, the oldest part of the city, and it's a slum. otr tells the story of cincinnati as well as any neighborhood in the city. i'm sure some other posters could tell you about some up-and-coming areas down there, but i would NOT live in over-the-rhine. it's hell.

clifton and corryville are the two best neighborhoods in uptown. i'd live in either one just because of the atmosphere. you have the uc crowd, but you also have a hard-working crowd that supports the bars and diverse mix of restaurants. the architecture is made up of townhouses, and is very urban, a true uptown to downtown. the area is known to have a lot of crime (ongoing theme in cincinnati), but if you look hard enough, you could probably find a suitable area for whatever your tastes are.

norwood is a wild card. it seems to be stable, but at the same time it seems to be going downhill. norwood is close to 71, and has several thoroughfares that run through it. it's not too exciting, and i wouldn't put it at the top of my list.

northern kentucky is an up and coming area. newport has a lot of entertainment to offer on the river, and is a major destination for cincinnatians looking for a good time. covington is more touch-and-go, it has some serious crime issues, and i wouldn't recommend living there over newport. newport and covington are like the urban continuation of cincinnati, so an urbanite would really like the density of nky. the proximity to downtown is obviously a plus, and the two are very connected with public transportation, much more so than most of cincinnati. nky is definitely worth a look. hope this helps!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,129,637 times
Quote:
Hello Cincinnati...

You know, it really all depends on what you and your mom like and how much you can afford. What kind of atmosphere do you want to be in? Do you want to be amidst parks and tree-lined streets where you can walk your dog at night? Do you want to walk to a grocery store? On a bus line? Want a large home with a yard, or concrete right outside the front door of your rowhouse? Want to share a common wall with neighbors?

Do you want urban or suburban?

Last edited by aquila; 10-10-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,822,421 times
What's wrong with north Avondale? It's pretty wealthy there.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You know, it really all depends on what you and your mom like and how much you can afford. What kind of atmosphere do you want to be in? Do you want to be amidst parks and tree-lined streets where you can walk your dog at night? Do you want to walk to a grocery store? On a bus line? Want a large home with a yard, or concrete right outside the front door of your rowhouse? Want to share a common wall with neighbors?

Do you want urban or suburban?
Well...the truth is, we want a little of all of this. We're looking for a nice city neighborhood on a busline, not expensive but not dirt cheap either. Personally, I love rowhouses (and so does my mother), so in a nutshell: a rowhousy neighborhood with low(er) crime and rents below $700/month would be PERFECT.

And to answer your final question...Urban, definitely.

Thank you all for the help!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,129,637 times
Hmmm. Yeah, Mt. Adams would most likely be too expensive for you. Too bad, because it's a great neighborhood.

OTR is so iffy, because even though people are working on rehabs in the area, there is still a crime issue. Aside from OTR, the only other area you listed in your OP that would fit that bill would be Northside. Much like Hillside said, Northside is a somewhat up-and-coming neighborhood. Older homes....rowhouses here and there....becoming a hip little place....crime isn't too bad. At least it's not violent crime.

If you can forego the interest in rowhouses, you might like Oakley, too. It would offer you everything else you're looking for. I used to live there back in the 90s....and in fact, I did live in a rowhouse on one of the side streets....but it's not really heavily populated with that kind of architecture.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:02 AM

Default Oakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Hmmm. Yeah, Mt. Adams would most likely be too expensive for you. Too bad, because it's a great neighborhood.

OTR is so iffy, because even though people are working on rehabs in the area, there is still a crime issue. Aside from OTR, the only other area you listed in your OP that would fit that bill would be Northside. Much like Hillside said, Northside is a somewhat up-and-coming neighborhood. Older homes....rowhouses here and there....becoming a hip little place....crime isn't too bad. At least it's not violent crime.

If you can forego the interest in rowhouses, you might like Oakley, too. It would offer you everything else you're looking for. I used to live there back in the 90s....and in fact, I did live in a rowhouse on one of the side streets....but it's not really heavily populated with that kind of architecture.
I am willing to consider anything in the city, rowhouse or not. Oakley has been added to my list of considerations. :-)

Are there any other city neighborhoods I don't know of that someone would suggest? I'm simply hungry for information.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,489,223 times
I was told (when i was considering the city) that Pleasant Ridge is the "northside' of the the East Side. May want to consider that... though others on this board may be able to give you more info on that.

I also have been told that "O-byronville" (Sp?) is a funky little area - near to Hyde Park. Supposedly super eclectic and fun, but still pretty neighborhood-y and safe.

That's it for my additional 2 cents, hope you find something you like!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM

926 posts, read 2,738,536 times
Quote:
Hello Cincinnati...

Mt.Adams is expensive but beautiful! Parking is very hard to find and it is easy to get lost in the neighborhood.

North Avondale is nice in some parts- you have to drive around to get a feel for the area

OTR in some parts is down right scary and I have gone to school in the middle of the Chicago projects and I'm saying its scary lol. But you will not pay too much because since they are still developing it, some places are cheap. You may find a gorgeous flat next to a crack house lol (sarcasm)

Clifton is very diverse and very affordable. Thats where I started out when I moved here from Chicago. Close to the University and Ludlow is one of the best streets in the city- great food, great shopping and great entertainment all on one strip.

Corryville is next to Clifton, definitly affordable but some areas may make you uncomfortable at night. Drive area to see the area.

Norwood is kind of diverse and not bad. Nothing spectacular.

Covington is cheaper than Newport but just next door, some areas arent as nice as others but its another one you need to drive around to check out.

Newport is nicer than Covington but also pricier. Good shopping and entertainment

I would suggest checking out Ft. Thomas, Ft. Wright, Florence and Burlington for NKY and for Cincinnati check out Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Lookout, Beechmont, Northside and Columbia-Tusculm. Good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,489,223 times
I haven't checked rents in Mt. Adamas or Hyde Park, but when I was looking at renting last fall (yes - i know, markets have potentially changed since then) - rents in Northside were pretty close to $800 for a safe 2 bdrm.

So, with your budget, you may be priced out of the "trendiest" areas (i.e. Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, possbily Oakley).

Definitely check them out, but don't be suprised if your money doesn't go as far there.

Hope you find something you like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati