U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,623 times

Advertisements

HPEmom, something you need to know about the people in the Cincinnati area...and these forums in particular....is that they will do ANYTHING, and fight tooth and nail, to get you to move to Cincinnati itself. I highly, HIGHLY recommend that when you move here, you don't dare say anything negative about Cincinnati, because you might end up getting a vigorous tongue-lashing from people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,562,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
HPEmom, something you need to know about the people in the Cincinnati area...and these forums in particular....is that they will do ANYTHING, and fight tooth and nail, to get you to move to Cincinnati itself. I highly, HIGHLY recommend that when you move here, you don't dare say anything negative about Cincinnati, because you might end up getting a vigorous tongue-lashing from people.
That is just not right at all...I grew up in W. Chester, graduated from Lakota when it had one high school and have now live in the City of CIncinnati for 7 years now. I wont bash W. Chester but I wont live there either. Different strokes for different folks. I knew W. Chester when it was a smaller and it is too overwhelming for me to even go to now (which I do when I get my hair cut). Not all people think badly of W. Chester (hello...me!) and I do feel the City of CIncinnati gets a bad rap here as well. Maybe we just prefer to look at the glass half full instead of empty.

Last edited by Hartwell Girl; 10-17-2008 at 02:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,485,521 times
Quote:
Yes, West Chester is diverse enough that the OP would feel comfortable here. I think as an overall whole, it simply would offer more of what the OP wants as opposed to what you'll find in Cincinnati proper.

You know, it really seems odd to me that whenever I try to offer suggestions to people, the Cincinnatians come out of the woodwork and bash me or West Chester. How many times am I bashing Cincinnati? I've stated flat-out that I'm for whatever is best for the person asking the question. If I think that's West Chester...and in this case, I do....that's what I suggest. But I'm just as apt to recommend places in Cincinnati if I think THEY work better....and I have done that lately.

Enough with everyone bashing one another. I know West Chester well enough to know that the OP would be comfortable out here. Period.
I'm not bashing WC - its a great area - but when you are on here stating that it is diverse you are either very misinformed or intentionally misleading people. The stats speak for themselves and the atmosphere is white suburb. If that is what someone is looking for then, yes it would be what they want. In less i missed something, in this case it was an African American family relocating from ATL.

Its funny i have a friend who is from WC and went to ATL to go to school. She acknowledges how different both of the areas are. I think a relocating black family might find WC much different and perhaps not in a positive way.

G Man

Old 10-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Of COURSE it's right, HG. I see the West Chester bashing all the time. You may have lived out here 7 years ago, and for whatever reason will not live here again (which in and of itself showcases an indirect negative attitude toward it), but I've lived here for 10 years now and have seen the changes it has gone through. I witness the constant negative attitudes toward West Chester from people who live in Cincinnati. If that attitude doesn't exist, how come you never hear people in Cincinnati recommending West Chester even when it's a white person looking for a great place to live, hmm? You guys are always pushing Cincinnati proper, so SOMEBODY has to let others know that West Chester exists, and isn't the bad place that urbanites make it out to be.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
I'm not bashing WC - its a great area - but when you are on here stating that it is diverse you are either very misinformed or intentionally misleading people. The stats speak for themselves and the atmosphere is white suburb. If that is what someone is looking for then, yes it would be what they want. In less i missed something, in this case it was an African American family relocating from ATL.

Its funny i have a friend who is from WC and went to ATL to go to school. She acknowledges how different both of the areas are. I think a relocating black family might find WC much different and perhaps not in a positive way.

G Man
Quite misquoting me. I specifically stated it is diverse-enough that a black family would feel accepted, welcomed and comfortable out here. My GOSH, people...I LIVE out here and SEE them all the time. Do you all think I'm seeing a bunch of over-tanned white people, or Americans who have had plastic surgery to make themselves look Hispanic?

And those statistics are outdated. Try the updated ones for 2008, which will show the percentage of black people here is over TWICE as high as it was in 2000.....8.5% now, compared to 4.1% then.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

And besides....why aren't you guys paying attention to what else the OP said? She's looking to build or the opportunity for new construction in a good public school system. How many want to pit Cincinnati schools against Lakota?

You know what.....on second thought, I'd highly encourage the OP to avoid the Cincinnati region altogether. This is the crap they would have to put up with among the people of the region. It's NOT a very cohesive area. I give up on it. Can't wait to move away. I'm done with it.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM

710 posts, read 2,649,718 times
Quote:
How many want to pit Cincinnati schools against Lakota?
turns out the supreme court was right in 1954 when they said separate wasn't equal

Old 10-17-2008, 03:34 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,702 times
Quote:
And besides....why aren't you guys paying attention to what else the OP said? She's looking to build or the opportunity for new construction in a good public school system. How many want to pit Cincinnati schools against Lakota?

You know what.....on second thought, I'd highly encourage the OP to avoid the Cincinnati region altogether. This is the crap they would have to put up with among the people of the region. It's NOT a very cohesive area. I give up on it. Can't wait to move away. I'm done with it.
Of the more than 2.1 people in the metro area you are basing your decision to move away because of a couple of forumers and a few dozen people you have meet outside the forum in the region? LOL Seriously i think you are the one that has problems, not everyone else.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,562,797 times
Quote:
Of COURSE it's right, HG. I see the West Chester bashing all the time. You may have lived out here 7 years ago, and for whatever reason will not live here again (which in and of itself showcases an indirect negative attitude toward it), but I've lived here for 10 years now and have seen the changes it has gone through. I witness the constant negative attitudes toward West Chester from people who live in Cincinnati. If that attitude doesn't exist, how come you never hear people in Cincinnati recommending West Chester even when it's a white person looking for a great place to live, hmm? You guys are always pushing Cincinnati proper, so SOMEBODY has to let others know that West Chester exists, and isn't the bad place that urbanites make it out to be.
I moved to West Chester in 1982 and lived there till 1993. My aunt, grandmother and cousin still live there along with my sons godmother so I have seen the area change over the years and grow to what it is today. I dont have an "indirect negative attitude towards" the area but I do think my 25 years of knowing the area well provide me the proper insite to draw my own conclusions of why I dont want to live in the area anymore--none of which I posted on this thread except for it was too overwhelming for me. And obviously, the growing community of W. Chester doesnt need to be sold on people, the place has filled thousands of acres of farm land, the Voice of America and Tylersville Road quite well with homes, businesses and community parks...the City of Cincinnati on the otherhand seems to get lumped into one big pot of poo sometimes when there are 52 neighborhoods in the City that have many differences. And my sons education is the most important thing to me, there are numerous private schools, charter schools, mont/paid schools, and what about Walnut Hills, that is a great CPS school. Plus, I dont want to argue with people on this forum and thought my post was rather fair so please, lets just agree to disagree.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,845,446 times
Quote:
And those statistics are outdated. Try the updated ones for 2008, which will show the percentage of black people here is over TWICE as high as it was in 2000.....8.5% now, compared to 4.1% then.

... I LIVE out here and SEE them all the time. Do you all think I'm seeing a bunch of over-tanned white people, or Americans who have had plastic surgery to make themselves look Hispanic?
So, you see a whopping 4,600 black people in your subdivision and see that as a diverse area? Did I read this right?

aquila, saying that an area is diverse because it is 8.5% black and the rest pretty much white is extremely humorous (assuming that's right). Hell, even 25% doesn't make for a diverse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or