U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,492,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
^ For God's sake you're gay and you live in WC?! Man, it gets better and better day.
Hahahahahahhahahahahahhaha

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,588,906 times
Careful with that winking smiley, Cincy-Rise. You wouldn't want to give someone the wrong impression.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM

107 posts, read 209,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I'm totally NOT going to say anything right now.

Oooops....I guess I just did. Hmmmm......well then, in that case, I'll just say "Thank You" to RedBankGirl for confirming that I'm not as deluded as some people would like to think. I guess I'm just the resident "evil gay white boy from West Chester who doesn't know anything about the place he calls home".
LOL! Aquila, you crack me up. I hope you never lose your sense of humor!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Well, thank you. I strive to maintain my membership in "AGCA". (That means "Amateur Gay Comedians Anonymous".)

Funny thing is - or maybe it's sad...I'm so confused - I thought about all this today and was wishing like everything that I had a camera with me. You see, I was at a major grocery store here in West Chester, and right behind me in the checkout lane there were 2 black women! And then a couple of checkout lanes over, there was a black man.

I just wish I had my camera to PROVE to some people that I'm not the ditzy blonde boy from California they all think I am. (I'm actually not blonde at all.....it's dark brown with a touch of gray coming out. Eeek! )

Imagine how pleased I was when I walked out and saw a Hispanic family walking in as I was leaving. I had to come home and put on some music titled "See, I told you so" while I did my happy dance around the kitchen.

At any rate, I hope the OP will consider West Chester as an ideal place to settle down. It IS a diverse-enough place that you would feel comfortable, welcomed and accepted. And if you choose not to move here, then you have my best wishes for finding a more suitable place.

Last edited by aquila; 10-24-2008 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 63,821 times
Default Thanks everyone

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions. We will definitely look in West Chester.

I just wanted to say that I did not intend to create a huge commotion. By diverse, I simply meant that my family would not be the only minorities in a particular community or go into an area where we would be unwelcome. We live in an county that is about 75% white and 15% black and 10% other. Our neighbors and schools are divided about the same way.

As we have never been to Ohio, we just wanted to know where to look in the greater Cinci area.

Hubby has 3rd stage interview for job this week... so I will be in touch if offer comes

Thanks everyone!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 AM

303 posts, read 793,611 times
To HPEmom, if you're still listening after all this -

The first city I thought of when reading your post was Blue Ash. The schools have a top reputation, including on the special needs front (both gifted and otherwise). Blue Ash is mostly new construction so you could either build or adapt something that would be easier than the older 3-storeys in the City of Cincinnati. And there is a fabulous rec center with one of the best (if not the best) pools in the Cincinnati area.

I'm not terribly familiar with West Chester, but I have a friend with two profoundly gifted children in Lakota schools and she feels they are being well served. Ditto for another friend in Lakota with an autistic son. So to the extent that anecdotal data is worth something, that may be a good match for you. It certainly would be convenient to GE. West Chester also has a lot of new construction, though I'm not sure about the community amenities. It has a very exurban feel and is politically conservative.

I agree with those who say the City of Cincinnati would not be a good match, though not because of the diversity issue. I have a gifted child and the school services just aren't what they need to be. You'd be looking at once a week pull-out programs, max. The magnet Montessoris are able to differentiate a bit more because of the mixed-age classroom, but are hampered by class size (high) and funding (low).

And to hit that hot button of diversity . . . there's not much of it in Cincinnati compared to the bigger cities, but I don't think you'd feel unwelcome in most places, either.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM

884 posts, read 2,318,420 times
HPE

I left Cincy last year after living there my entire life. Like you I am AA, educated (blah,blah,blah) buppy..ok. Hubby and I lived in Fairfield for 14 years and I worked in WestChester. I am VERY familiar with the suburbs AND the city. (I grew up within Cincy limits).

Please PM me and I will give you an honest assessment of the areas you may be interested in moving to. Plus I can get a feel for what kind of things make a community for you and your family ex, churches, hair salons, entertainment, dinning. These things are vital also. If I had to leave the DC area and return to Cincy I would move to either 1. Wyoming 2. Evendale/Sharondale 3. West Chester. (contrary to what some say) there ARE many black families moving into WC from areas like Forest Park. I KNEW PLENTY of families that lived just north of Tri-County Mall and they are in a newer subdivision. I had a good friend that moved to WC in 93 and her kids were isolated. Now WC/Lakota schools are more diverse BUT there are some problems.

PM me if you want to know more.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM

884 posts, read 2,318,420 times
Aquila,

You do know that we often will drive to a nicer area to shop in right? lol. I used to shop in WC when I wanted to get away from a certain crowd at the beginning of the month. I worked in WC and shoped there during the day. HOWEVER, there are more AA families moving to WC..I knew plenty of them.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Aquila,

You do know that we often will drive to a nicer area to shop in right? lol. I used to shop in WC when I wanted to get away from a certain crowd at the beginning of the month. I worked in WC and shoped there during the day. HOWEVER, there are more AA families moving to WC..I knew plenty of them.
Oh, I totally agree with you.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:03 AM

31,380 posts, read 57,602,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEmom View Post
I just wanted to say that I did not intend to create a huge commotion.
Don't worry about it. Commotion is what we do for fun around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
LOL! Aquila, you crack me up. I hope you never lose your sense of humor!
Can I second this??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or