U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 AM

5,751 posts, read 8,838,631 times

Advertisements

Hi All

Plan to be in Cincy on Nov 16th to watch the Eagles vs. Bengals.. sorry pulling for the Eagles. Tix to the game are reasonable, airfare (to Dayton-boo) are cheap, and want to spend Saturday night in your town.. Any recommendations on places to go and what I should do when in town? Have scanned this forum and it appears that OTR might be a good place to hang out?? Seems similar to South Street in Philly? Looking for cool sports bars and night clubs prefereably downtown......please advise..

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 AM

414 posts, read 1,129,803 times
I'm not much into the bar scene, so can't help you there, but I would definitely recommend Mongtomery Inn on the river. The ribs are delicious! Also a trip to Union Terminal is well worth the time. You can also head over the river for the aquarium or a spectacular view of the city at Devou Park (I like to stop and get Skyline Chili to-go and enjoy it at the top of park. Haufbrohause (however you spell it) is fun - good German beer and a fun atmosphere.

As for OTR - some people on here will build it up and act like it's great. IMHO it's still a nasty ghetto. Probably not where I would send out of towners. However, I know nothing about Philly or the South Street you mentioned...so that might be your cup of tea. Don't know if they are similar or not.

Have fun - Cincy is a great city!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM

189 posts, read 602,792 times
OTR is building up, but it is not really a place to go to bar hop or "hang out" . Main St. used to have a lot of great bars, but most have closed.

My recommendation would be to hop on the Southbank Shuttle { TANK - Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky > Routes & Schedules > Southbank Shuttle }
to Covington, KY's Mainstrasse Village { Mainstrasse Village - Covington, Kentucky }. Lots of bars, restaurants & shops.

Hope you have a good time in Cincinnati!!

Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,853,500 times
Woodlands, where are you from?

Also, tell us your age, type of music you're into, and what type of entertainment you like ... this would help a lot. Do you like contemporary places or hole in the walls?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM

5,751 posts, read 8,838,631 times
I live in Baltimore and spend a great deal of time in the DC-NYC corridor. I am in my mid thirties and prefer contemporary bars over a hole in the wall.. especially if I do not know the hole or the wall. We have numerous hole in the walls in Baltimore and some you can go in and be brand new with no problems other you may want to go in with a regular... Cincy seems similar to Bmore though midwesterners may be friendly. Music scene.. I am pretty open as long as there is good beer..... Given the short amount of time I will be in the area.. I would prefer to do any sight seeing dowtown, riverfront or the surrounding historic neighborhoods....

Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 AM

201 posts, read 426,201 times
Covington, Mainstrauss across the river has some solid bars to hit up...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM

710 posts, read 2,653,814 times
downtown around fountain square has a lot of cool bars/restaurants. Mt. Adams, right up the hill from downtown has a bunch of cools bars as well. If you go to Kentucky I would recommend Mainstrausse over Newport. Pick up a citybeat when you get in, they don't steer you wrong

Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,853,500 times
Ok, Woodlands ... I like contemporary places too so I can probably help!

Check out NADA (6th & Walnut) for drinks and great food. They have a great outdoor area to sit around and chit chat. Another great to hang out is Twist on 4th and in between Race & Elm. For a club type atmosphere, check out Bang on W. 4th, very contemporary and fun. They usually bring in DJ's from around the US. Remember, it won't start getting busy until about 11:30 or 12, so check out some of the other places in the mean time.

Cab it up to Mt. Adams ($5 maybe $6 from DT). Check out the Pavilion, Alive One. Grab some Thai at Teak Thai. If you guys want authentic Italian (which was started by an Italian that moved here from Philly) go to Scotti's on Vine in between 8th & Court St.

Hit up Via Vite on Fountain Square for great Italian, locally owned, with modern decor. Check out the Art Museum and Contemporary Art Museum, they're both awesome.

This should keep you busy. If you have an ?'s DM me.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:20 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,490,112 times
I can recommend the Plum Street Bar - its within walking distance of Paul Brown Stadium. For the night before, the Boathouse (Montgomery Inn) is definately a good idea. Must try Skyline Chilli while you are here too and Graters Ice Cream.

G Man

Old 10-17-2008, 03:31 PM

710 posts, read 2,653,814 times
plum street is a hole in the wall neighborhood kind of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati