U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington
Cincinnati 46 66.67%
Louisville 13 18.84%
Lexington 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,945,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Exactly. Believe it or not, I only wish Cincinnati the best.

I am just afraid that it may be overshadowing Dayton, and I honestly believe that Dayton may be a stronger, but smaller city if it didn't have Cincinnati to the south. I am also afraid that Cincinnati may be serving many purposes for the metro region that Dayton would otherwise be serving such as containing many regional branches for corporations, a living place for our CEO's or having high-end department stores (although we do have Von Maur in the suburbs now). However, these drawbacks may be outweighed by the fact that together, the cities create a large, dynamic metro area that contains over 3 million people and has many offerings for all interests, from mountain biking and kayaking to major amusement parks and professional sports teams. I may be a little mean about Cincinnati though, and I have three reasons why:

1. It's ingrained into my DNA
2. Someone needs to knock it off of its high horse every once in a while (seriously though, have you looked at the southwest Ohio projects and construction page on Urban Ohio recently? You'll see what I mean)
3. I want to make sure that Dayton can still keep a strong identity while Cincinnati is lurking down south.

Again, I really only wish Cincy the best. My instincts tell me otherwise, but I know that in the end, a lot of Dayton's greatness (at one time, at least) comes from Cincinnati.
cincinnati has always been the place companies prefer to relocate/expand into. the pattern is, big office in cincinnati, smaller office in dayton. it's like clockwork. corporations have long thought of cincinnati and dayton as one market; it's just that the rest of the world is just now catching up.

i hear you on the high horse thing. on urban ohio, they praise things about the city that never cease to amaze me, such as closed factories and city council , and everything is going to work out just as planned, if not better. still, imagine if you were from cincinnati, and you had to spend extended time in dayton. you'd probably realize how much more cincinnati offers. to be brutally honest, cincinnati was one of the ten largest cities for almost 80 years. dayton peaked at 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,930,366 times
Change of subject, here's some food for thought:

Louisville's murder rate for 2008, thus far, is:
41 murders / 2.38 = 17.229 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is approximating 238,000 people in the urban service area, or the old city limits. This figure also does not include murders in the suburban service area. Source: Courier-Journal.)

Technically, 53 murders / 7.1 = 7.465 per 100,000 in the "Metro" city of Louisville, which includes all 710,000 people and 399 sq. mi. of Jefferson County. This is also, as far as I'm concerned, an inaccurate representation of the crime rate of Louisville. (That is, unless we consider all of Hamilton County, also.)

Cincinnati's murder rate now:
45 murders / 3.33 = 13.514 murders per 100,000 people.
(This is considering the approximately 333,000 people estimated to live in the city limits. Source: Cincinnati Police Dept.)

So, really, tell me which city is safer. Yep...the one with the Reds and the Bengals.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,854,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincinnati has always been the place companies prefer to relocate/expand into. the pattern is, big office in cincinnati, smaller office in dayton. it's like clockwork. corporations have long thought of cincinnati and dayton as one market; it's just that the rest of the world is just now catching up.

i hear you on the high horse thing. on urban ohio, they praise things about the city that never cease to amaze me, such as closed factories and city council , and everything is going to work out just as planned, if not better. still, imagine if you were from cincinnati, and you had to spend extended time in dayton. you'd probably realize how much more cincinnati offers. to be brutally honest, cincinnati was one of the ten largest cities for almost 80 years. dayton peaked at 40.

As a member since '04 I think pretty much all of the Cincinnatians on UrbanOhio stick up for Dayton, especially against the folks from Akron and Toledo.

You might hear someone say something about it every once in a while, but it's usually followed by a wink, and in jest because of specific forumers like; Jeff, Ink, ColDayMan, etc. We all want Dayton to prosper.

We also usually all love city council, except for Qualls. Cincinnati is seeing the most development we've seen in decades and Downtown is completely different in just a few years. We'll attribute that to Mallory and Company.

Together, Bortz and Mallory are doing a tremendous job, in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM

414 posts, read 1,130,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

(This is approximating 238,000 people in the urban service area, or the old city limits. This figure also does not include murders in the suburban service area. Source: Courier-Journal.)

Technically, 53 murders / 7.1 = 7.465 per 100,000 in the "Metro" city of Louisville, which includes all 710,000 people and 399 sq. mi. of Jefferson County. This is also, as far as I'm concerned, an inaccurate representation of the crime rate of Louisville. (That is, unless we consider all of Hamilton County, also.)

(This is considering the approximately 333,000 people estimated to live in the city limits. Source: Cincinnati Police Dept.)

So, really, tell me which city is safer. Yep...the one with the Reds and the Bengals.
Actually, I think you just made a case for Lexington.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

there have been 63 homicides in cincinnati.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
As a member since '04 I think pretty much all of the Cincinnatians on UrbanOhio stick up for Dayton, especially against the folks from Akron and Toledo.

You might hear someone say something about it every once in a while, but it's usually followed by a wink, and in jest because of specific forumers like; Jeff, Ink, ColDayMan, etc. We all want Dayton to prosper.

We also usually all love city council, except for Qualls. Cincinnati is seeing the most development we've seen in decades and Downtown is completely different in just a few years. We'll attribute that to Mallory and Company.

Together, Bortz and Mallory are doing a tremendous job, in my opinion.
that's interesting, i actually like roxy . i've read some threads, and it's not the dayton thing that's troubling. you guys treat dayton pretty good. it's just weird seeing areas i grew up in in pictures, and people praising things i know should not be praised. siding does not make an area good, and neither does an abundance of old people. sometimes it rings of developers and professionals that are so far removed from the cycle of poverty that bad things seem good as long as the architecture is cool, you know? however, the info to be had on there for lil updates on projects is excellent, and soon i had seen you post that rendering for the eastside of DT, i hopped on UA instantly and looked to see if there was one that wasn't a headless horseman .

i didn't mean to get all over UA, it's just sometime i want to reach through the screen and ask some of the crew how to become carefree like them .

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,854,843 times
What's UA?

The photo that was used with QCS was taken by another member. The model built, was built by different member. Civvik doesn't have any control over the angle that Jmeck chose.

There are photographers that enjoy photographing abandon warehouses (i.e. sciecer) for instance. The warehouse is abandoned, but that doesn't make his photography skills inferior to someone that post photo threads of glorious hoods.

Hillside, what set of photos are you referring to that get praised that shouldn't be?

BTW, are you a member on UrbanOhio? If so, what's your username?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 PM

44,762 posts, read 43,301,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I understand, I don't but I do. When my parents divorced, my mother didn't want anything to do with Cincinnati (because of my dad). She's back now and she isn't even from here, she's from the south. lol

Anyway, you shouldn't dislike Cincy because of that. Obviously, you can do what you want, but you know what I'm saying. The healthier Dayton gets, the healthier Cincinnati gets and vise versa. It's almost like a new company calling DT Cincy home. Of course I don't get anything out of the deal, but I know that when the company moves DT, there's opportunity for new workers to call DT home, there'll be a new tax base that will go to Cincy, those workers will shop and dine in DT, whether it be their lunch break or happy hour, then demand will go up for DT housing, those businesses that these workers are eating at will prosper, etc, etc ... it's a chain reaction.

If our region prospers, it will attain more wealth. Many retailers look at a region's size and health index when it comes to creating chains (tax revenue). The federal government increases it's budget for those areas that need it. If half of our metro is doing well, but the other is in decline ... then that doesn't fair too well from a businesses real estate department. I don't want to see Dayton act poorly as a city for two reasons, we are connected and the other, I want to see Cincy become more of a draw and the more Dayton prospers, the more we will. We need to think regionally here. Whether, the two actually do or not, we still do.
In short, what is good for Dayton is good for Cincinnati.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM

74 posts, read 248,337 times
LEt's be honest, people don't want to think of where they live as a sh*t-hole so they dig and dig for every little morsel that could shed a good light on their city. Cincinnati is a largely self-segregated city with an almost overtly racist prosecutor as well as several conservative county and city administrators. Our county officials make deals so that they can run un-opposed and the city council is populated by corporate cronies who institute a draconian anti-marijuana act and supports censorship of adult ads in city-beat magazine. I live here and I know it sucks. The people that is, the city itself has character but many of the powerful people here have none.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,354,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
LEt's be honest, people don't want to think of where they live as a sh*t-hole so they dig and dig for every little morsel that could shed a good light on their city. Cincinnati is a largely self-segregated city with an almost overtly racist prosecutor as well as several conservative county and city administrators. Our county officials make deals so that they can run un-opposed and the city council is populated by corporate cronies who institute a draconian anti-marijuana act and supports censorship of adult ads in city-beat magazine. I live here and I know it sucks. The people that is, the city itself has character but many of the powerful people here have none.
And I thought all this time that Dayton was the one that was supposed to suck.

Seriously, though, what's so bad about Cincy for you? I know I got my own reasons that I like and dislike the city, and I can understand how its conservative tinges in the city's hiearchy and residents could drive you crazy, but it is honestly the most northern southern metropolis that you can find, so what else would you expect? I am not a huge fan of the south myself, but if you live down there, it is a way of life that you will either have to adapt to or embrace like many do. That is probably a lot of the reason why Cincinnati is always glorified by those who live in it because of the fact that it is a northern city with much conservative, southern backing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or