U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati, Louisville, or Lexington
Cincinnati 46 66.67%
Louisville 13 18.84%
Lexington 10 14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:39 PM

2,204 posts, read 5,847,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
Cincinnati is a largely self-segregated city
By looking at a map of Cincinnati's 52 neighborhoods and looking at our population make-up, I want to know how you came to this conclusion?

Quote:
with an almost overtly racist prosecutor as well as several conservative county and city administrators.
Conservative as in politically or culturally?

If it's politically, how did the city vote for J. Kerry by 60% and why is the city ran by a majority Democratic council, a Democratic Mayor, and a Democratic Vice Mayor?

If it's culturally, we have gay bars and clubs spread throughout the city, a Center for GLBT community, a major Gay Pride parade, the most bars/clubs per capita than any city in the United States, serve alcohol on Sundays (unlike a lot of major cities I've been to. Pittsburgh & Minne come to mind), have a marijuana/misdemeanor law, sell more sex toys, sexual protection, and gels per capita than any other city in the nation (and I'm guessing that's not so people can start families), and have the highest percentage of same-sex couples living with each other in the state of OH, outside of Columbus.

Quote:
Our county officials make deals so that they can run un-opposed
Welcome to the United States of America! I want to hear about a city in the US that doesn't or hasn't ever done this!

Quote:
city council is populated by corporate cronies who institute a draconian anti-marijuana act and supports censorship of adult ads in city-beat magazine.
Uhh ... did you assume that other people wouldn't catch this? lol

Cincinnati isn't against City-Beat ads ... the CCV in SHARONVILLE is ... I'd love to be proven otherwise. (this is going to be good!)

City council is not against the current Marijuana/Misdemeanor law.

Quote:
I live here and I know it sucks.
Maybe you think it does, because you are wrong in almost every point you just tried to make!

Quote:
... many of the powerful people here have none.
Then what makes them powerful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian
And I thought all this time that Dayton was the one that was supposed to suck.
Educate yourself by checking out Google ... it's AMAZING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,896,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
we have gay bars and clubs spread throughout the city, a Center for GLBT community, a major Gay Pride parade,
Other than a few bars most of these things are concentrated in the Northside/Clifton Gaslight area, I prefer Northside though, if I had to live in the city, that way I could be close to Shake-It records, the Northside Tavern, the Comet, etc. The gay pride parade starts at Burnet Woods and ends at Hoffner Park where the actual gay pride festival is, and the GLBT center is just up the street on Hamilton Ave. Northside also has the coolest 4th of July parade in the city, and all the political candidates make an appearance to campaign there. I have a lot of friends on another on-line community that live in Northside and they all love it there, it's an escape from the "Phil Buress" mindset.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Other than a few bars most of these things are concentrated in the Northside/Clifton Gaslight area,
.... that and Downtown. There are 5 gay bars that I could walk to from Fountain Square in 10 minutes or less.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
Quote:
You might hear someone say something about it every once in a while, but it's usually followed by a wink, and in jest because of specific forumers like; Jeff, Ink, ColDayMan, etc. We all want Dayton to prosper.
I've pretty much stopped posting on urban ohio, except for the political thread, because its become a big Cincy/Cleveland circle-jerk (well, ok, two circle jerks).

Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,940,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
What's UA?

The photo that was used with QCS was taken by another member. The model built, was built by different member. Civvik doesn't have any control over the angle that Jmeck chose.

There are photographers that enjoy photographing abandon warehouses (i.e. sciecer) for instance. The warehouse is abandoned, but that doesn't make his photography skills inferior to someone that post photo threads of glorious hoods.

Hillside, what set of photos are you referring to that get praised that shouldn't be?

BTW, are you a member on UrbanOhio? If so, what's your username?
sorry, i meant UO (urban ohio). i'm not a member, i've thought about it but considering my views, i don't know if it's worth the arguing.

i seen a couple threads on abandoned factories in cincinnati, alleys in otr, a photo thread from around cincinnati, and a photo tour of hamilton. my problem is not with the photography; the photos are terrific. it's the comments that i don't relate to. UO seems to illustrate the socioeconomic divide between the solid middle class and the working/lower class, and how that can affect inherent values and viewpoints. i'm doing well now, but i can't say that growing up in poverty hasn't gave me a different view of some things people that didn't might have. to me, it's common sense to keep the alleys closed in otr and the west end. the area is seedy and dangerous, and unless you see buildings and not people, you usually consider sexual predators that lurk downtown and the stick-up boys that turn into murderers down there as well. some of the areas shown in northside, price hill, and bond hill weren't in good shape at all, and it went beyond the housing. i'm talking about areas that you don't want to drive through at night. this was true with the hamilton thread as well. someone pointed out that some area was in better shape than a bombed-out slum a block over based on the appearance of clean siding and a couple well-kept lawns. in reality, the photographer caught a corner where four really old ladies live. the health of the neighborhood can't be good when you have a demolished factory, a gravel lot, and drug addicts living or using drugs in every fourth house in the area. there's not a better place to document the urban problem than the east. ave area in hamilton, or the ghettos in northside imho. mad anthony, ferguson, etc.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM

I see.

People have different viewpoints all across the board there.

You should sign up, especially if you have different viewpoints!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,347,881 times
Quote:
I've pretty much stopped posting on urban ohio, except for the political thread, because its become a big Cincy/Cleveland circle-jerk (well, ok, two circle jerks).
Oh, I was wondering what happened to you. But you are right, especially if you check out the southwest Ohio projects and construction page like I mentioned earlier. You wouldn't even know Dayton existed if you looked at the first page of topics right now.

Last edited by Daytonnatian; 11-03-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: typing too fast

Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Oh, I was wondering what happened to you. But you are right, especially if you check out the southwest Ohio projects and construction page like I mentioned earlier. You wouldn't even know Dayton existed if you looked at the first page of topics right now.
If there's a major project in Dayton, it'll get posted ... if there isn't you won't.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM

826 posts, read 1,443,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humlermw View Post
LEt's be honest, people don't want to think of where they live as a sh*t-hole so they dig and dig for every little morsel that could shed a good light on their city. Cincinnati is a largely self-segregated city with an almost overtly racist prosecutor as well as several conservative county and city administrators. Our county officials make deals so that they can run un-opposed and the city council is populated by corporate cronies who institute a draconian anti-marijuana act and supports censorship of adult ads in city-beat magazine. I live here and I know it sucks. The people that is, the city itself has character but many of the powerful people here have none.
I agree with this post. While I like Cleveland this city has hit ground zero. It is losing population quick, no one wants to live here, in Northeast Ohio, or anywhere in Ohio. I don't want to think of Cleveland or Ohio as a crappy place to live, but it is. There are some perks, but for the most part it is a depressed state. People are moving out of our cities in large numbers. Those that are moving in, I'm not quite sure why they would? There isn't much here to offer..dirty cities, high crime, lots of homeless people, high rates of young girls popping babies out like marshmellows, extremely high unemployment..well, if that's attractive to you, then you'd love it here.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
Quote:
There used to be more Dayton posters at UO, but they moved on. I used to post pix/historic/analyic things on Dayton at UO, but I do that at my own blog now, since its sort of pointless to do that anymore at UO.

Right now the most active Dayton discussions are at the Esrati blog and Dayton Most Metro. There are two Dayton posters here at City-Data forums, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or