U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:56 AM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
There have been strip clubs in Covington since (and maybe before) World War II. It is part of the place's character. Anyone moving there knows this and bases their decision to live their on the neighborhood character.
Oh.... All this business of creating neighborhoods and historic districts and building expensive blue and white buildings on the riverfront are just decorations on the long established character....

...?

Know what? There were things around before that "before WWII." In fact me and others on this board were around before WWII. (Admittedly, I didn't happen to be in Covington.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
For adult entertainment, I think we need to take advantage of proper zoning regulation but not take it to the extreme. I have no problem with a Hustler store downtown or a strip club in Covington, but I would not want to see a big box style XXX warehouse in the Kenwood Towne Center or a strip club on Hyde Park square. I think there is a distinction between the two situations and I think there is plenty of room to balance freedom and social values in the middle.
Well, that is how it's done. Usually areas have zoning that allow/disallows establishments based on defined utilization. So, the idea of opening an adult store/establishment in the middle of a residential area is sort of moot for the mid-west. Now I can tell you that in NYC there are topless establishments in residential neighborhoods. In Astoria, Queens there was The Pennywhistle around the block from where I used to live. But from the outside it looked like any other saloon. The front sign did read topless but it wasn't like it had big XXX designations on it's signage. But NYC is worlds away from Cincy.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
But NYC is worlds away from Cincy.
Thank God for that.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Thank God for that.
I know, usually small farm town folks don't do very well there.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I know, usually small farm town folks don't do very well there.
You can talk about small town folks. But I am old enough to remember the heydey of Newport and its strip clubs, along with several sprinkled around Ciincinnati and its suburbs. And yes in my twenties I visited a few. But when I realized there was a movement to get rid of them, I sat back and thought This is a good idea, they have virtually nothing in socially redeeming value, but they attack a lot of scum types. If I can't do without them I really need to evaluate what my objectives are.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbs_Suck View Post
^^ You come off so judgmental. If people want to go there, lawfully I might add, who are you to make the decision that they shouldn't be allowed? If you can do without them don't go. If you can't you need to get treated for addiction.
You are damn right I am judgmental. I don't know of anything in my life where I have not been required to make a judgment. I have had to make a judgment as to where to live, what kind of a neighborhood I felt was good to raise my kids in, what kind of values I wanted them to be exposed to, the job I wanted to pursue. Every day of your life you must make judgments, and I refuse to apologize for the ones I have made. And those items which belittle human dignity I will fight to keep out of my surroundings.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
And those items which belittle human dignity I will fight to keep out of my surroundings.
Not to point out the obvious, but it seems you may be losing that fight since you have a large Hustler of Hollywood a mere 9 miles from Mason, right off 75 on rte 63 in Lebanon. That's a lot closer than the two smallish Flynt owned store downtown.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Not to point out the obvious, but it seems you may be losing that fight since you have a large Hustler of Hollywood a mere 9 miles from Mason, right off 75 on rte 63 in Lebanon. That's a lot closer than the two smallish Flynt owned store downtown.
I don't feel we have lost the fight. That Hustler store has been there for years, right off the Ohio 63 I-75 exit. If you want to set the record straight, there was a strip club at the same exit (Monroe) which has been closed for years and is sitting there rotting. I have never been in that Hustler, so I don't know what their offerings are. But I will say when I come down I-75 from Dayton, that is the exit I take with Ohio-63 across to 741 and down to Mason. From the looks of the parking lot it is not exactly a beehive of activity.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

If anything, Hustler put em out of business. And for Hustler to be there that long they must be doing a darn fine business. Let me stop here, I really don't like Larry Flynt all that much and don't want to spend too much time playing devil's advocate on his stores.

But, I am of the opinion that adult businesses should be allowed to exist in properly zoned areas and should people choose to patronize these facilities they should have the freedom to. I may be a bit too liberal leaning for some, but that's my stance. Once again, I am ok agreeing to disagree. But you have your stance and I have mine. It's the way of the world.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
If anything, Hustler put em out of business. And for Hustler to be there that long they must be doing a darn fine business. Let me stop here, I really don't like Larry Flynt all that much and don't want to spend too much time playing devil's advocate on his stores.

But, I am of the opinion that adult businesses should be allowed to exist in properly zoned areas and should people choose to patronize these facilities they should have the freedom to. I may be a bit too liberal leaning for some, but that's my stance. Once again, I am ok agreeing to disagree. But you have your stance and I have mine. It's the way of the world.
So what is a proper adult business zone? Are you going to purchase a home there? I sure as He*l am not. Sorry, but this personal freedom bit goes just so far with me. If I am going to fight to have a better standard of life for my neighbors, help pay for schools for the common good, etc., then I damn well feel capable of standing up for things I just do not believe belong in our everyday living. If you want it to be everyone for themselves in their own personal way of thinking, then I want to be left out of some things I have a personal objection to. Too many people want their cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati