U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:09 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,940,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Awww....you make me want to hug you. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying in your post. My bad. I suppose Cincinnati can be a bit too family oriented. Maybe that's why I'm still single and gay and white and alone and lonely and so filled with righteous indignation. LOL!
You both need to flee da Nati and not look back! Every major city on the coasts has what you need. So do Chicago and Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 AM

189 posts, read 601,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Thanks! I knew of most of these, I was just answering the question on what I like to do. I never heard of Subway though so thanks for that, Ill check it out!! Its really the people that takes me out of Cincy- my friends in Chicago and Lousiville like to do all these things, and usually have the money and time but all my friends here have babies, minimum wage jobs or arent interested And for some of these mentioned, the scenen in Columbs is better to me than in Cincy. Ive tried going to like urban singles mixers or YP functions but the people I met are so stuck up or are more there for networking! Im really laid back and though I have a degree I feel like it doesnt make me who I am so I really dont like hanging with people who use their degrees to judge people or justify why they are beyond doing some of this stuff. So I either go home, or meet them in Indy or hang with my peoples in Louisville or Columbus. Maybe its the conservative factor of Cincy? I love how in Chicago I got a good mix of friends but like here if I want to go to a drag show I have to go with my gay friends, or if I want to go camping or sky diving I have to go with my white friends or if I want to go to the open mic's I go with my black friends (Ive gone with my white friends but some of the spots we go to act like they have never seen a white person before and all they do is stare so its really uncomfortable!) but I miss downtown life- I love hanging out downtown people watching, eating and drinking. But oh well, Cincy has been great to me but I never intended on calling it home Great resources though, the list is well compiled
Just an FYI,

Subway is kind of a "dive bar". Go to Shooters [ Shooters cincinnati - Google Maps ] or On Broadway [ On Broadway cincinnati - Google Maps ]

Party Source has wine tastings and cooking classes ~ The Party Source

So does Jungle Jim's ~ Jungle Jim's International Market - Six Acres of Food Under One Roof - 5440 Dixie Hwy., Fairfield, OH 45014

I love Chicago, but there are great things to do in the Cincy area.

For fun, check out Mainstrasse Village in Covington, KY Mainstrasse Village - Covington, Kentucky .

Last edited by soozycue520; 11-02-2008 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: caps

Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,846,020 times
I knew someone that actually did the shows at Subway and he was telling me about the crowds they get ... especially from straight couples. Babigyrl, I think it's just the friends that you hang out with. I've got a good amount of gay/lesbian friends that are living it up. Hell, I saw an old friend of mine last night on Ludlow with her partner that were going out.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,580,989 times
I actually haven't been to Subway in YEARS. So maybe it has changed, I don't know.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 AM

682 posts, read 1,388,521 times
If you look at cities like Indianapolis and Columbus Oh, they actively market their cities on a number of levels. I think one of the things that hurts Cincinnati is the negative attitude of people who live there about their city. In spite of everyone telling me not to move to the neighborhood we chose, we closed two weeks ago and have begun restoration on our home which we plan on being in by spring. We are moving from Indy. We were told the neighborhood was awful but last weekend we met several of our neighbors and they were residents who had either lived there for years or like us came in to restore a victorian house. I think 'selling" cincinnati to others has to start with the people who already live there. Peopl have no clue about the bargain cincinnati is, Property taxes are dirt cheap compared to Indy and thats a big plus!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,939,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
If you look at cities like Indianapolis and Columbus Oh, they actively market their cities on a number of levels. I think one of the things that hurts Cincinnati is the negative attitude of people who live there about their city. In spite of everyone telling me not to move to the neighborhood we chose, we closed two weeks ago and have begun restoration on our home which we plan on being in by spring. We are moving from Indy. We were told the neighborhood was awful but last weekend we met several of our neighbors and they were residents who had either lived there for years or like us came in to restore a victorian house. I think 'selling" cincinnati to others has to start with the people who already live there. Peopl have no clue about the bargain cincinnati is, Property taxes are dirt cheap compared to Indy and thats a big plus!
i agree that "each to his own" is a good way to look at cincinnati, and that the city is a real gem and deserves more appreciation. i also agree that the city and the county has done a lot to discourage its tax base over a long period of time, longer than cleveland and detroit.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,846,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,669,328 times
Subway is a run down sh**hole. If you've ever seen the movie Barfly, just imagine a basement version of that bar with the same type of seedy people... only gay.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,876 times
^
From back in the late 1980s nothing, and I mean nothing was as gay-seedy as the "Side Door" off that alley that now runs off Walnut next to Nicholsons (Ruth Lyons or Gano, forget the name). It was supposedly connected to the Subway via some sort of basement tunnel or passage (great gay urban legend)

Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,876 times
Quote:
When I want to have fun and Im bored with Newport I go to Columbus, Louisville, or Indianapolis. ....
You are missing out on Dayton. This town as a nice concentration of nightlife in walking distance in the center city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or